A little selling research, may interest others

goatboy

• 1 month later...

i'm looking at selling mine at the mo, well part ex, and the dealers keep asking what i'm looking for it. Now taking into account it's a 2004 53 silver gt spec with rays on 44k i'm saying about 9k AS A TRADE IN!!! and then the sharp in take of breath.

'hmmm not sure, sounds bit high for a 53 reg'

looked on autotrader and the valuation thing traders use and that is a cracking price. They are up for anything from 11.5k upward.

Bloody thieves

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Was considering changing my Zed and offered it in Pex to 5 dealers, so far they have all valued it at 11K :scare: I was thinking of selling it privately for 13750, am I being optimistic or is this a fair price for a full factory kitted Nismo with 34K on the clock and in immaculate condition.

• 2 months later...

I 'research' for a living so found this quite interesting! I will get the numbers once I actually buy my Z but its interesting to see that at the budget I am looking around for the colours are skewed quite heavily away from what was on the original post - under 10k the choices are silver, silver, silver, silver and a few Orange with a light sprinkling of GM.

I really don't like silver as well... :surrender:

• 1 month later...

Found a little time and enthusiasm to see what sort of cars are on offer for a budget of £10k or less as thats what myself and many people find themselves dabbling with in the 350z world. I used Auto Trader as a source as it was easiest to manipulate the filters and skip through the postings.

I guess most new buyers have two things on their minds, Colour and Year. Going for a newer car is clearly important, but we are all individuals and will have a colour in mind.

The first table below gives an overall view of the AT market (remember this is for cars under £10k). Silver 04s will be everywhere, surprisingly the next biggest group are Black 04s. But Silver under 10k really dominates the market. I have to say I avoided Silver personally but having seen a few clean ones at a recent meet really liked the look of them.

The two-line tables under the main one show how the spread of each colour occurs across the years (of manufacture) 2002 to 2006. The cars tend to be most popularly available in a 2004 model except for Blue and Orange which tend to have more available on a 2003 manufacture date. Quite a few 2002 GM on there too, trying to think as I noted down the results but I think these may have been imports. I havent had the time to crawl through the data to classify Imports vs UK cars unfortunately.

As a guide there were a few other quick measures, Nearly a quarter of all cars under £10k have less than 40k miles on them, so don't be afraid to push for a low miler if it really is important to you. Lots of cars coming through trade channels vs private, maybe people selling arent getting much joy and just trading in, certainly on here I often see comments that its a buyers market. If you can't drive a manual or prefer automatic, you are in a bit of stuk! ;)

AutoSnapshot.png

• 3 years later...

As my car is up for sale I went through all the ads on pistonheads to get a feel for what is out there and I came up with some stats.

They don't take into account private vs trade, extras, GT packs, condition or anything so its not super scientific and I'll probably made a few mistakes however I think its useful. I thought some on here might find it interesting?

It excludes roadsters BTW

Firstly colours to give an idea of rarity this is what is currently for sale:

GM - 34

Black - 25

Silver - 25

Blue - 11

Orange - 5

Red - 1

Yellow - 1

Secondly mileage and pricing currently for sale

UK cars:

Year-- Average mileage(K)-- Average price

2002-- 97-- 7,250

2003-- 43-- 11,957

2004-- 47-- 12,229

2005-- 38-- 13,312

2006-- 26-- 15,235

2007-- 22-- 17,382

2008-- 8-- 20,609

2009-- 15-- 21,850

Imports:

2002-- 46-- 9531

2003-- 44-- 9536

2004-- 49-- 10,623

2005-- 25-- 11,370

Some other interesting trends:

- Non Gt cars seem to be significantly cheaper, over £1k cheaper

- Of the 78 UK cars currently for sale only 41 have rays

- S2000-4U are advertising around 15 cars

so there you are thumbs.gif

Edit - format to make it read better

Do you think you you could now do the same for Roadsters as there are many members on here now with Roadsters inc me and it is better than going out as you could get mugged.

Regards Keith

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Roadsters should be easier to find. That's all I would ever see while I was looking for my coupe

Complete opposite at the moment all the ones I fancy with the spec I want are all coupe lol