Bernie's solution to the lack of overtaking in F1

Trev-the-Rev

Barry M commented

Assuming that the short cut idea is­ implemented. Every driver has same number of­ opportunity to short cut. (Take it as proposed 5)

If a­ driver has not used the 5 short cut opportunities, he­ can keep it until the last 5 laps to ensure nobody can­ short cut him. It will be very foolish for a driver­ refusing to use the 5 short cut opportunities given to­ him. The issue is how to use them wisely.

If he uses­ up his 5 opportunities too early, someone is surely­ going to short cut him later on in the race. It is very­ much like the booster concept. If a driver use up his­ booster too early, someone else will use their booster­ to overtake him later in the race.

Just like booster,­ a driver can use short cut to overtake, he can also use­ short cut to prevent being overtaken. Critically, it is­ when to use it effectively.

So the short cut concept­ will add additional dimension to strategy to the race.­ The team can can utilise it effectively is like to win.­ So, I don't see the issue with fair play. All­ drivers have equal opportunity of usage.

NOT MY COMMENT BUT I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS GUY

Hey come on guys at least he is thinking of ways to improve the racing. How many times have you switched the race off because it has been boring?

I always watch until the end, you never know when the front man might crash ;)

Cars need more power and no TC. Look at MotoGP, the bikes have more power than they can use so its down to the driver to extract it. F1 should have unlimited power then its down to them to harness it :teeth:

i think someones been playing too much need for speed, and wasnt fast and furious on the other night..

Touring cars >> F1 :p

Have never been a big fan of F1, far too boring :yawn:

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000009999999999999999999999

this is a demonstration of why not, its just the same thing over and over :yawn: the only excitement being when there's a crash, i'll happily watch the highlights though.

but yes i would watch more if they picked up green and red shells :#1:

or if they had unlimited power, yes :teeth:

Hey come on guys at least he is thinking of ways to improve the racing. How many times have you switched the race off because it has been boring?

Not really the answer for solving boring races though.

Anyone with an interest in F1 knows that the fundamental problem lies in the aero. The cars are designed to produce low drag at the rear and this in turn causes 'dirty' air which make the car following unstable when it attempts an overtaking manuover. I appreciate that the aero is needed to produce downforce, but this can also be achieved through mechanical means.

Ban the big wings, diffusers, etc, bring back big sticky slicks and then we would see overtaking again.

I thought Bernie was on crack when I read it this morning.

At least he's coming up with ideas still though.

It may work quite well though, adds an extra dimension to the race now that they've removed the re-fuelling.

what? your saying i dont get to see the fuel tube ripped off in the highlights anymore...?

Not really the answer for solving boring races though.

Anyone with an interest in F1 knows that the fundamental problem lies in the aero. The cars are designed to produce low drag at the rear and this in turn causes 'dirty' air which make the car following unstable when it attempts an overtaking manuover. I appreciate that the aero is needed to produce downforce, but this can also be achieved through mechanical means.

Ban the big wings, diffusers, etc, bring back big sticky slicks and then we would see overtaking again.

+1 lots of mechanical grip and nice sticky slicks with little or no aerodynamic aids - put it all back on the skill of the driver to contol the car :#1:

For a change last year I did the Moto GP USA at Laguna Seca AWESOME weekend. The F1 has become boring.

MotoGP is so much more exciting than F1. Most of that is down to Rossi's "win or die" mantra. Unlike F1, if someone overtakes Rossi, or he come off and has to play catch up, he will normally drive beyond his limits trying to get back to top spotm which makes it very exciting. In F1 is someone overtakes, then the loser will accept the points he has unless there is a real easy place to get the points back. Bar Button at the end of last season, it just seems to be the way with the sport :thumbdown:

Exactly the case at Laguna last year, if you watched it. Rossi finished second and even he said he had never riden so crazy in his life. Entertainment value was fantastic, especially over the cork screw section. I cant explain how bending and steep that is :scare::scare: Rossi can he missed the first bend into it and came down the grass banking which is like a cliff side :blackeye: