Centimetres

ATTAK Z

Why do people use 'centimetres' as the new 'inches'. All technical people know that it's 'millimetres' for small linear measurements, metres for larger distances. I've asked many teachers why they teach the kids to use cm and I haven't had a logical answer yet. The only time I use cm is for the second moment of inertia and that's in cm4 to keep the numbers sensible. :rant:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What difference does it make?

13.4 cms or 134 mm

Who cares :p

Oh he's in a grumpy mood this week! :lol:

Think thats the point nobody cares ... it will be the fall of humanity as we know it soon - just wait and see - text talk English, metric betting at the races whats next :lol:

13.4 cms or 134 mm

Sarnie, you are well known for your sharp, fast and 'straight to the point' comments ..........13.4 cms = 8 key strikes ............ 134 mm = 6

doya get my drift? :D

13.4 cms or 134 mm

Does that measurement have some special meaning for you - which in old money is five and quarter inches ;)

Its the size of my heels :lol::lol:

:evil: that is so tempting to edit but must not abuse my mod powers, must not abuse my ......

13.4 cms or 134 mm

Does that measurement have some special meaning for you - which in old money is five and quarter inches ;)

Its the size of my heels :lol::lol:

:evil: that is so tempting to edit but must not abuse my mod powers, must not abuse my ......

go on :teeth:

i teach technology and i teach in mm, its not at my end that the c0ckups coming from. i blame the science teachers. i think they measure everything in cm.

I was referring mainly to teachers in primary schools

i teach technology and i teach in mm, its not at my end that the c0ckups coming from. i blame the science teachers. i think they measure everything in cm.

alot of their material is written in cm so they dont have much choice.

For the general public its easier to understand cm though, i can see why its used alot. its not a hard conversion though :shrug:

alot of their material is written in cm so they dont have much choice.

For the general public its easier to understand cm though, i can see why its used alot. its not a hard conversion though :shrug:

Can you picture in your mind when say estimating how big something will be for example?

Is'nt 12cm easier to visualise than 120mm? Then again I find feet and inches easier to visualise than cm but thats what you get used to I suppose! :blink:

Is'nt 12cm easier to visualise than 120mm?

for me, a definite NO.

If someone says 12 cm to me, I think 6" and then convert this back to 120 mm or leave it as 6"

(no jokes please about why I think 6" ;) )

In my job I work in metric all the time but often have to talk to clients in feet and inches so that's probably why I take the circuitous route as explained above

im a generation whose grown up on a diet of an even mix so it makes no difference, i think in both of them. if someone says 9inches i can visualise it, if they say 20cm i can visualise that also. like you say, its what your used to.

i wouldnt have the first clue what the equivilant of s = ut + 1/2a(t*t) is in inches and feet etc? :shrug: is it any different? any engineering stuff is always done in metric, DIY sometimes in inches :lol:

Something to visualise your swing size? :lol:

31KPEGPEEYL._AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/SmartSwing-Visual ... B0009SX60O

Product Features

Model: Visualizer

Leader Board global analytics – Quality of impact, Quality of swing, TempoMeter, and Quality of release

Instantaneous and maximum club head speed

Straight-forward, usable tools for viewing each swing you record--including replay, rewind, and step through each individual swing

Visual comparison of each swing to an ideal reference or known good swing

im a generation whose grown up on a diet of an even mix ..............ny engineering stuff is always done in metric

so is mine these days but then I'm from an earlier generation too and I learnt all my stuff in imperial. For instance, domestic floor loading is 1.5 Kn/m2 which is equivalent to 30 lb/sq ft and low strength concrete is 21N/mm2 = 3000 lb/sq in AFAICR. I also have in my head that 1m = 3.28084 ft and that 1 kg = 2.2046 lb, just so I can convert measurements for those who can't be bothered to learn to think in metric.

My point is, why do kids get taught to use cm for linear measurement when most industries do not this unit?

Sorry I seem to be getting a bit serious here but it makes me soooooo mad when I ask the teachers to explain and they can't :rant::rant::rant:

im a generation whose grown up on a diet of an even mix ..............ny engineering stuff is always done in metric

so is mine these days but then I'm from an earlier generation too and I learnt all my stuff in imperial. For instance, domestic floor loading is 1.5 Kn/m2 which is equivalent to 30 lb/sq ft and low strength concrete is 21N/mm2 = 3000 lb/sq in AFAICR. I also have in my head that 1m = 3.28084 ft and that 1 kg = 2.2046 lb, just so I can convert measurements for those who can't be bothered to learn to think in metric.

My point is, why do kids get taught to use cm for linear measurement when most industries do not this unit?

Sorry I seem to be getting a bit serious here but it makes me soooooo mad when I ask the teachers to explain and they can't :rant::rant::rant:

My god mad your head is a confusing place to be :lol: i'll stick to using inches etc for mounting some shelves :lol:

i think its just easier to teach cm tbh :shrug: as soon as you move through to anything "real" its M or mm.

My god mad your head is a confusing place to be :lol: i'll stick to using inches etc for mounting some shelves :lol:

it used to be .....then I found 1.61803398874989 .......... all is now calm and I'm ready to get back to my own planet :cloud9: