Centimetres

ATTAK Z

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its all trick to the mind. If the number is larger it seems the deal is better, getting more. 600 sounds more than 60 even though its the same size (600mm / 60cm) I buy chemicals that come in KG and not Litres, which is more strange a liquid in weight form. The reason is that some chemicals are heavier in substance, so where it states 30KG it is only 25litres. Its peoples way of thinking thats strange at what pleases!

when I worked at Lola in the 80's we had some mixed unit fasteners - 3/8 UNF x 25 mm :lol:

what about a 4.2m length of 4" by 2" :headhurt: ?

Still used to this day by newbies as well as oldies

I get this all the time as I work for a Hardwood Timber Merchant. We always use metres & millimetres and I have to stop to think if somebody uses centimetres. Mind you that is normally from some div who fancies making themselves a book-case or something (I don't want your bloody business in the first place :lol: ) If you start talking about Kg or litres I don't have a clue what language you are using :D

when I worked at Lola in the 80's we had some mixed unit fasteners - 3/8 UNF x 25 mm :lol:

what about a 4.2m length of 4" by 2" :headhurt: ?

Still used to this day by newbies as well as oldies

I get this all the time as I work for a Hardwood Timber Merchant. We always use metres & millimetres and I have to stop to think if somebody uses centimetres. Mind you that is normally from some div who fancies making themselves a book-case or something (I don't want your bloody business in the first place :lol: ) If you start talking about Kg or litres I don't have a clue what language you are using :D

do you do wood for a bookcase?

:p:lol:

Hmmmm, I was taught cm at school. I'm an Engineer and have worked all over so using a variety of measurements for distance, weight, pressure, power and temperature. Now (from the comfort of my office) I set up this stuff for clients and look after their equipment which is in all different measurements! Thank goodness I can change the units here!

The best unit of measurement I've used is 'rig feet'

Hmmmm, I was taught cm at school. I'm an Engineer and have worked all over so using a variety of measurements for distance, weight, pressure, power and temperature. Now (from the comfort of my office) I set up this stuff for clients and look after their equipment which is in all different measurements! Thank goodness I can change the units here!

The best unit of measurement I've used is 'rig feet'

have to know what a rig foot is?

Rig feet is basically a normal foot (12 inches) but you measure it with decimal.

So 10 feet 6 inches becomes 10.5 feet.

It's bloody stupid and horrible to work with!

:lol: sounds like a star trek system for time

that's so like the 400 degree circle you get on some theodolites :bangin:

Wow 3 pages on cm's or should that be 3 feet

or 3 inches or 3 goldfish :lol:

Googleplex !

Everyone's been "working from home today" ...... can't you tell ? :lol:

i havent but i dont know if working covers it, ive spent a day ranting in meetings, i think ive earned my jibberish :p

Wow 3 pages on cm's or should that be 3 feet

or 3 inches or 3 goldfish :lol:

Googleplex !

Everyone's been "working from home today" ...... can't you tell ? :lol:

Speak for yourself! I'm sitting in the office right now!

i teach technology and i teach in mm, its not at my end that the c0ckups coming from. i blame the science teachers. i think they measure everything in cm.

I was referring mainly to teachers in primary schools

I am a primary teacher so I will give it a bash! :thumbs:

I would say children are more commonly taught mm and cm over inches because millimetres and centimetres are base 10. They fit in with with our decimal number system whereas inches relate directly to yards which the dated imperial system.

However, I still teach children about inches and pints etc also as they can still have relevance in day to day life - for example a pint of milk!

Do I make sense? :surrender:

i teach technology and i teach in mm, its not at my end that the c0ckups coming from. i blame the science teachers. i think they measure everything in cm.

I was referring mainly to teachers in primary schools

I am a primary teacher so I will give it a bash! :thumbs:

I would say children are more commonly taught mm and cm over inches because millimetres and centimetres are base 10. They fit in with with our decimal number system whereas inches relate directly to yards which the dated imperial system.

However, I still teach children about inches and pints etc also as they can still have relevance in day to day life - for example a pint of milk!

Do I make sense? :surrender:

yep you do ..... I'm not advocating that we go back to imperial by the way ...... life's a lot easier at base 10 ....... think about binomial though ;)