My fears confirmed on ch4 news!!

stanski

As mentioned in other threads people in this country cannot drive in the snow!!

Just seen the news about the traffic kaos in Basingstoke yesterday !!Oh dear where are the gritters?

Why people still rev the arse of their cars to move off a road!Muppets muppets muppets :doh:

just seen another clip from a car driving in snow in Aberdeen - nice and slow and progressive just how it should be :D

we are the laughing stock of Europe :shrug:

Dont even get me started! 10hrs from Slough to home yesterday! I only got stuck in one place and that was because the camber forced the rear end over to the gutter on the outside lane of the A33 :surrender: A quick push and we were off again. I did also drift all the way up the slip road off the M4, must have been a record for the longest ice drift!

The problem was that 8 inches of snow fell in about 3hrs. Southerners just arent used to that. To make it worse everyone left work early which meant the gritters all got stuck in traffic :bangin: 10hrs to do 30 miles in the end. Met Amanda at a pub on the way home and it took her 7hrs to do about 20 miles.

It was very very surreal coming through Basingstoke at nearly 1am with no moving cars on the road or people about, just loads of abandoned cars, vans and lorries everywhere! My mum had to walk home from town as it was gridlocked and she was stuck waiting to get out of the multistory for 2hrs.

we shouldn't grit the roads in the first place, its part of the problem.

if i was minister for transport my winter ruling would be:

1/. don't grit the roads

2/. all drivers should carry snow chains by law during the winter/snow season.

my thinking is you can't use snow chains in the uk as you'd spend half you time putting them on or taking them off as you move between gritted and un gritted. apparently if you use snow chains on normal roads they ruin your tyres.

that or do what the fin's do (one of the scandinavian countries) set date everyone swaps to snow tyres/studded tyres.

forgot to add to my laws :lol:

3/. skid pan training should be mandatory in the driver training before you do your licence.

4/. learner drivers should spend 12 months under tution before they are allowed to sit their test.

5/. doing the advanced motoring course should be manditory and completed within the first 5 years of passing your test.

6/. winter driving techniques should be part of the test.

Wow Chris no good at all and the worse thing is abandoning cars- had something similar happen in the early 90s took hours to travel home just 12 miles!! Hope you've had a well earned rest after that episode :surrender:

Rich think your right no salt just education winter tyres and snow chains and snow ploughs clearing roads round the

clock and in advance :thumbs:

Was an absolute nightmare Stan, but the roads really werent that bad. Sure it was bad, but it was passable, as you can tell, I did it in the Zed with 275 wide rear tyres! Most of the slowdowns were caused by people revving the balls off their cars and getting stuck, so rather than wait to take a hill in one go, they would try and move a foot, stop, move a foot, stop, and funnily enough they got stuck! Pure impatients causing everyone to be slowed down. I was quite impressed how the Zed was handling compared to these muppets :lol:

3/. skid pan training should be mandatory in the driver training before you do your licence.

4/. learner drivers should spend 12 months under tution before they are allowed to sit their test.

5/. doing the advanced motoring course should be manditory and completed within the first 5 years of passing your test.

rich for prime minister! iv always said skid pan training should be part of driving tuition like scandinavian countries

Havnt been able to drive out of home for 4 days now... Private road to the main road is like a sheet of glass.. and it drops off straight about 7 inchs either side on to grass so if you get any sideways movement and your more than stuck...

Went out on Friday to the shop, doing about 5mph on a road that hadnt had any attention but had trucks that use it as a short cut, saw a truck was slowing about 30 meters ahead as there was another parked in the middle of the road ahead, applied the brakes and NOTHING! was on ice... released the brakes, applied again, nothing... and I was on a slight decline,,, could have chosen something smaller to run into the back of..

482~051208-031.jpg

Biggest issue was that the trucks that use the road when they slow for a railway bridge their braking compacts the snow and forms patches of ice.. :rant:

Lucky is was my g/f's new swedish barge.. not the zed! She is still going on about it 4 days later!!

all valid points, but your forgetting not everyone would be able to afford 12 months of extra lessons, the cost of skid pan training, advanced motoring courses, would your government be paying for this? i would doubt it.

Also on point 6, would you not be able to sit a driving test if there was no snow that year?

i know your points were made in a joke and the skill of many of our drivers is very poor, however any extra manditory tests/lessons would punish those who are competent enough to drive, the best way is to make tests more strict on pass marks!

:lol::thumbs:

Paul

I get your point about cost, but I think it would be worth it. And if few people were doing it, would it not mean less drivers on the road. And would he extra cost not come back as savings later on, like cheaper premiums due to less accidents. Less accidents and holdups on motorways.

That reminds me, adding to my list

mandatory motorway training, to reduce middle lane riders, and improve motorway ettitquette.

Just seen the news about the traffic kaos in Basingstoke yesterday !!Oh dear where are the gritters?

Why people still rev the arse of their cars to move off a road!Muppets muppets muppets :doh:

Southern Pansies :thumbdown:

just seen another clip from a car driving in snow in Aberdeen - nice and slow and progressive just how it should be :D

Hardcore Scots :thumbs:

Oh and us 'shire' people say the 'toonsers' cannae drive! :lol:

Southern Pansies :thumbdown:

Hardcore Scots :thumbs:

Oh and us 'shire' people say the 'toonsers' cannae drive! :lol:

i would say your all right aswell :lol:

Its all relative, compared to most of England the scottish toonsers are like Ken Block :lol:

Maybe if we get snow down here more often people will get the idea, the problem is we see it so infrequently, people just dont get the idea. :thumbdown:

More great news today, freezing conditions and rain on the way. Welcome to Basingstoke Ice Rink Road - expect to see it on the news again tonight! I am staying at home today for obvious reasons :surrender:

The Scots have to put up with real levels of snow more often and I find are generally more nicer drivers except the Posties on Skye who drive like f****n nutters! :scare:

Numpties guide to driving in winter! (or basics guide for Classic car motoring)

Good safe driving this time of year is very easy to sum up ..and should be common sense but just in case people need reminding:

Be prepared! Keep a few basics with you in the car all the time not just now?

- Mobile phone + charger,blanket or fleece (club fleece is best! ;) )

- Torch

- Thermos - if travelling any distance

- Handwarmers (aldi 2x £1)

- Map

- Litre of engine oil, Washer fluid, tow rope, jump leads

- sweets

- Fold up Army shovel (if you live miles away in the country) they are about £8 from camping places

- Battery operated Air compressor

- spare light bulbs

- few tools - pliers, screwdriver, etc

Ensure,

- your tyre pressures are correct

- you have enough washer fluid in and its strong enough

- check water lever

- oil level check

- lights all working

- heater working properly

- Tyres are not worn and spare is not flat!

Dont drive like a fool! :angry:

Adjust your speed and driving style for the conditions!

- Dont rev the arse of the car to get you out of somewhere - its better a higher gear and mild revs not like those muppets on the news - 3 people pushing them off the verge while they rev like crazy and spin the wheels frantically! :shrug:

Dont brake sharply - brake carefully and give yourself at least twice the space between you and anything in front.

Dont stop /start every few yards keep the motion going - even if your in a 4x4!

Even if you have ABS the old manual trick still applies - gentle brake , release , brake , release approach.

If driving down hill - just let the engine brake for you - take your foot off the gas and hover over the brakes and keep well away from the person in front, also watch out for pratts behind you who still drive up your backside - brake a few times or stop - eventually they will get the message - failing that just stop get the shotgun out of your boot (forgot to mention that one) and just shoot them! :lol: Just kidding!

Turn into a skid of course and try not to over correct - I am sure the Ebizeds of the forum can offer expert advice on this side of things.

But anyway - since the government and councils are hopeless this time of year its down to us to try to drive as well as we can - we dont like seeing pictures of Zeds in ditches do we :blink:

Drive safe people :drive1

I am sure the Ebizeds of the forum can offer expert advice on this side of things.

:doh: You ain't left me much to add :lol:

The one thing I learnt way back from my trialing days is that if you find yourself sliding downhill and dabbing the footbrake and 1st gear is doing nothing to help, is to use the handbrake (lightly) in conjunction with the steering to help control the direction of the slide. Rather like doing handbrake turns but just enough to help the direction you are traveling. In that way you can have some control over where the car eventually ends up.

This is the one time I favour diesels - anyone who has driven a 4x4 diesel knows that dropping it into low gear on the slippest of slopes and literally taking your feet off all pedals and letting the torque in the engine braking do the work, will bring you to stop with no lock-ups. Unless the slope is that steep and its sheet ice so that the sheer weight of the car means that only throwing out an anchor will stop you :lol:

Thanks Colin - there knew the experts would turn up

Coincidentally the next door neighbour has just spent ages trying to reverse his 3 series beemer off the drive - :headhurt: Guess what he was doing - yes revving the arse of it and going nowhere I nipped out to help but basically told him to put it away and go in his missus Clio (fwd) he was'nt keen on that I could tell as he was desperate to drive his shiny new company beemer - anyway after a lot of messing about he gave up and decided to try the Clio - oh surprise - it reversed out no problem first go and so off they have gone now!

Nuff said! ;)

Well little Zee is back on the drive - courtesy of a tow rope and Ben's (MAD7BOY) Evo - nice one mate :yahoo: Have a good vid of "drift parking" her back into the bay, but Amanda shot it on some stupid video mode so you cant see it properly and its 300MB so its too big.

Will be staying there until the roads are completely clear, no more heading out when conditions are OK just in case they get worse again. Sounds like the worry now is rain that is going to freeze on the roads. :headhurt:

Ice is damned dangerous, nothing you do on that!

We've had LOADS of rain today so if it freezes it'll be interesting getting to work tomorrow.

That's exactly what has happen here' The side roads that haven't been gritted are just about impossible. I can't get any traction in the Zed even with just letting up the clutch with no throttle :angry: