My Progress UPDATED 18/11/2010 More 3M Di Noc

AlexZ

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who buys your car when you are selling it will be a lucky git as it's very well maintained. It does helps i suppose when you know what you are doing.

Mate I have no intension of selling lol... :p I've only owned her 6 months :thumbs:

I have another Idea to help the MP3 mod along... :doh:

Keep watching mate I have a little somthing in the pipe line if it gets delivered in time for weekend...I really want to get round the car again with the clay bar then the porta cable...Get some proper polish action going on before the sun shine comes.

Alexz

Emmm thats a tough one mate, you could always desolder the lead if theres ever a problem. I wouldnt have thought they would open the unit at the Nissan dealer... :doh:

Maybe give it a few months and make sure the new unit it ok first. :thumbs:

Pluse keep watching cause I have another edition to add to the MP3 mod at weekend lol. :p

B) will keep an eye out for your next update.

What's the sound quality like with the mp3 mod, does it sound the same as a CD?

Evening mate, yeh the sound quality is very good. Its just as good if not better than cd, guess it all depends on the quality of the mp3 track itself. Some poeple compress them to get more on a device but I leave mine full size. :thumbs:

I'm just waiting for Photobucket then I'll add some more images for this evening lol.... :yahoo:

Hi people, I've been thinking about Carbon for a little while now. When I got home today there was a package.. :thumbs:

I know a lot of people have these and In my eyes its a very nice and sutle mod.

What do you guys think about the quality?

I need to get some Images of them on the car, Its to dark now. :thumbdown:

DSCF4052.jpg

DSCF4053.jpg

DSCF4055.jpg

Thanks

Are those actual CF or CF vinyl?

Its vinyl mate, although I thought it was pritty good quality lol...

I want the carbon look, but I would really like to keep the genuine Nissan parts. I've seen a few different makes etc of the true carbon ones and some are very poor in quality and fitment. The Nismo ones look the best but they should at nearly £200

I know vinyl isnt the best option and some people would rather have nothing but Ive seen the cheap carbon trim of ebay when people have stuck Nismo stickers on lol..

This is the best stuff I've found without paying mega money. They still fit perfect and all the seal are still on, it has 4 year outdoor warranty and you can wash it with soapy water/ car shampoo with no discolouration.

The vinyl also have a weave feel to it like true un laqured carbon.

I would of expected the weave to run the other way on one the pillars

Every good eye for detail there, I've had a closer look at the Nismo ones you have and the drivers side is correct on my car but I'll have to swap the passangers side round. :teeth:

How are the Nismo ones stuck on??? Double sided tape or are there clips? :teeth::shrug:

I want the carbon look, but I would really like to keep the genuine Nissan parts. I've seen a few different makes etc of the true carbon ones and some are very poor in quality and fitment. The Nismo ones look the best but they should at nearly £200

I know vinyl isnt the best option and some people would rather have nothing but Ive seen the cheap carbon trim of ebay when people have stuck Nismo stickers on lol..

This is the best stuff I've found without paying mega money. They still fit perfect and all the seal are still on, it has 4 year outdoor warranty and you can wash it with soapy water/ car shampoo with no discolouration.

My Nismo pillars don't fit as well as my cheapy ebay ones did :thumbdown:

My Nismo pillars don't fit as well as my cheapy ebay ones did :thumbdown:

Thats a bummer mate, the Nismo ones I saw fitted nearly perfect. Mine fit perfect lol, but they dont weight any less and the weave runs the wrong way on one side. I cant change the bloody thing either cause it just wont work. The weave my run another direction on the next roll I order :thumbs:

I plan to attempt the mirrirs over the weekend :teeth:;) Ive seen videos and it look pritty useable, its 3M Di-Noc Carbon viynl.

i sell carbon b-pillars if you decide to change to real CF, good fit aswell, food for thought :thumbs:

Evening mate, yeh I meet you at the Nissan meet at Brian Leightons in Howden when we test drover the 370. I recall yours having the sides aswell to.... :thumbs:

I do like the vinyl so I'll kick it with this for the time been ta. :teeth:

I did it a while ago with a different CF vinyl, never took any pics, well non that i can find on here, but i did the rear strut brace at the same time

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21548&hilit=carbon+vinyl

It has a more gloss carbon finish than the di-noc, but its not as easy to work with

when you fancy a new challenge try skinning them in CF

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27928&hilit=+b+pillars

good effort though. :thumbs: i do like the di-noc. definite good choice :thumbs:

i'm playing around with it at the moment as well

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33450&hilit=carbon+vinyl+di+noc+experiment

its got lots of potential, will be doing my proper jobs with it soon. :ninja:

Just out of interest, would it not be a good idea to post up each section you do in single threads, its all well and nice to have one jumbo mod thread but as it grows more and more stuff will get lost in it, or be hard to find.

you could cut and paste out the bits that other people haven't done yet and add them to the guide section.

I did it a while ago with a different CF vinyl, never took any pics, well non that i can find on here, but i did the rear strut brace at the same time

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21548&hilit=carbon+vinyl

It has a more gloss carbon finish than the di-noc, but its not as easy to work with

when you fancy a new challenge try skinning them in CF

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27928&hilit=+b+pillars

good effort though. :thumbs: i do like the di-noc. definite good choice :thumbs:

i'm playing around with it at the moment as well

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33450&hilit=carbon+vinyl+di+noc+experiment

its got lots of potential, will be doing my proper jobs with it soon. :ninja:

Just out of interest, would it not be a good idea to post up each section you do in single threads, its all well and nice to have one jumbo mod thread but as it grows more and more stuff will get lost in it, or be hard to find.

you could cut and paste out the bits that other people haven't done yet and add them to the guide section.

Hi mate, thanks for the comments, I've kept it all in one thread for people who are follwoing my motor. Most people say they'll keep watching for new things. I know what you mean about so much info in one please and it not beenvery easy to search for but its work for me at the mo...

The Di-noc is good gear I agree, didnt realise its been on the forum so long lol.. I though it was a newish product, but then again I now nothing about vinyl or how to use it lol....

I also tried the mirrors today and after the best part or 4 hours ripped the fu**ing Di-noc to off to much heat...I only have 20" left now and that not enought to cover the rear strut brace :doh: although I do love the idea. Maybe a little inside the car like others have done with use it up.

My intension was B Pillars, Front Bumper Centre, Rear Spoiler. :teeth:

Shame I'm not that good at it lol...

I'll post some images up of the mirror...

I did do another mod though...... :thumbs:

Ok I had a play with the drivers side mirror today, what a mess. It didnt work out for me this time and I honestly dont have the time to try again. I dont think it can be wrapped in one sheet, the shape it just to complex :shrug: . I got all the sides and top done the ripped the vinyl DOH.

I've read a couple of threads on the forum and found some nice ideas for the 20" I have left lol :yahoo:

Best thing to do is get your partners hair drier and her best chopping board. I tried to apply the Di-noc first to the flat section round the centre of the mirror. I realised this wasnt best to pulled it off and started at the top.

DSCN2640.jpg

DSCN2641.jpg

DSCN2642.jpg

DSCN2643.jpg

DSCN2644.jpg

DSCN2645.jpg

DSCN2646.jpg

DSCN2647.jpg

DSCN2648.jpg

DSCN2649.jpg

DSCN2650.jpg

DSCN2651.jpg

DSCN2652.jpg

DSCN2653.jpg

DSCN2654.jpg

Theres a few people now doing the MP3 conversion. If you use a rechargable MP3 or HTc like me you will need means of charging it on the move. For a few quid you can have a hard wire mini usb in your mota. I bought a few things on my brothers advise and it all works a treat. I've took some images and you should be have no trouble copying the steps...

Bare in mind most MP3's wont charge and play at the same time...this is half the reason I use my phone aswell :thumbs:

The first three images are the part bought from Maplins..

DSCF4064-1.jpg

DSCF4065-1.jpg

DSCF4067.jpg

The following images show the cable and how to make it. The cable on the left is the USB mini cable with the end cut off...

You will find four wires and a shield inside..All you need is the Red and Black. WE just cut the other short and made sure the ends were covered with the insulation.

wire3.jpg

DSCF4068-1.jpg

DSCF4069.jpg

DSCF4070-1.jpg

DSCF4071-1.jpg

DSCF4072.jpg

DSCF4073.jpg

DSCF4074-1.jpg

DSCF4075.jpg

DSCF4076-1.jpg

DSCF4078.jpg

DSCF4079-1.jpg

DSCF4081-1.jpg

DSCF4083-1.jpg

Once the cable is made and ready whip the steero out, and find the following wire to splice.

wire.jpg

wire1.jpg

While the steero was out my brother improved my MP3 mod lol....I've attached some images, the way I connected the wire is fine, but hes broke the curciut so there no interfarence like the other option kicking around on the forum..

He's also reduced the cable size and made it more secure in the headunit itself lol....what are big brothers for eh. :thumbs:

DSCF4087-1.jpg

DSCF4088-1.jpg

DSCF4095-1.jpg

DSCF4098-1.jpg

DSCF4099-1.jpg

DSCF4104-1.jpg

DSCF4105-1.jpg

DSCF4106-1.jpg

DSCF4107-1.jpg

DSCF4114-1.jpg

Thanks

hey mate, looks good.

you are however missing the two capacitors that should be installed with the voltage regulator and the VR should have a heat sink plate on the back of it as its going from 14.5 to 5V. I think you may get away without the heatsink as your mp3 player probably wont draw much current but taping the potentially hot component to the plastic component may be unwise in the long run. :) just some handy tips :thumbs:

hey mate, looks good.

you are however missing the two capacitors that should be installed with the voltage regulator and the VR should have a heat sink plate on the back of it as its going from 14.5 to 5V. I think you may get away without the heatsink as your mp3 player probably wont draw much current but taping the potentially hot component to the plastic component may be unwise in the long run. :) just some handy tips :thumbs:

Thanks for the info dude I'm more mechanic's etc that sparky lol...the normal stuff i.e steero's, bulbs etc are all ok but not making or mirrors lol.

My brother just yell'ed a parts list and I bought them. My brother is normally correct so I dont intended to challenge him at the moment, but if it goes wrong I have all the info I need now lol... To be honest I've used it all day today and it hasnt missed a beat. I made so it will stay in the cubby hole so theres no worry about changing fueses or added extra componants if required. B)