My Progress UPDATED 18/11/2010 More 3M Di Noc

AlexZ

Evening guys...with all this talk of MP3's been wired into our standard Bose head units I wanted some action myself. I bought the two parts required from Maplins for a little over £10...bargain. :thumbs::teeth::p

These are the parts I choose to use but everyone has there own options and tools...

Tape £3.49

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... 7&DOY=20m3

Cable £7.99

3m Stereo Plug to Plug Lead

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=11422

Ok with the parts bought I set about taking the h/u out. This is the first time I've done this but most Jap cars are the same :thumbs:

Head Unit

DSCF2207Medium.jpg

I unscrewed the gear knob and pull the surround up and backwards.

DSCF2208Medium.jpg

Uncliped the white ribon from the heater control unit.

DSCF2209Medium.jpg

DSCF2210Medium.jpg

Unscrewed the to lower screw which retian the centre console

DSCF2211Medium.jpg

Removeed the four lowest screw from under the white box...this lossened the white box and lower section of centre console.

DSCF2216Medium.jpg

Opened the cubby hole and removed the rubber lower mate

DSCF2212Medium.jpg

Removed the two small black screws, then moved onto the two that retain the centre console down the sides.

DSCF2213Medium.jpg

DSCF2214Medium.jpg

DSCF2215Medium.jpg

Ok with a little power you should be able to pull the hole centre console outwards. All the cables were still attached to the top three dials and the head unit. I unplugged the top dials, theres a white plug on the drivers side, press and release. With the dials unplugged I had a little more space the remove the head unit cables.

With all the cables lose either remove the head unit with the brackets attacked or remove the head unit from the bracket via the four screw on each side like I did.

DSCF2217Medium.jpg

DSCF2218Medium.jpg

Thats the hard section over, hit the house or garage for wormth and TEA... :bounce::snack:

With the head unit in front of me I released the plastic tap which hold the front face panel on..

DSCF2219Medium.jpg

DSCF2220Medium.jpg

Flip the little puppy upside down and removed the following screws...bare in mind most are different lenghts etc...keep each side,back,front in different piles.

Underside

DSCF2224Medium.jpg

Back

DSCF2225Medium.jpg

DSCF2226Medium.jpg

Both sides

DSCF2228Medium.jpg

Front

DSCF2227Medium.jpg

With all the screws removed I flip the bottom cover off.

DSCF2228Medium.jpg

I found the tape beck section needed...tooke out the four retaining screws. The unit will then just pull up and out.

DSCF2229Medium.jpg

With the tape section out and on the bench I got the 3.5 to 3.5 cable and cut it in the middle. I bought this size incase I got it wrong lol...I have two chances with this cable.

Each audio cable is wrapped in the earth/ground, I joined both the earth together then tinned all three wire to make the soldering part easier.

DSCF2230Medium.jpg

Lined them up and got to work.

DSCF2231Medium.jpg

I then wrapped a small cable tie around the lead and board so it didnt pull away if caught.

DSCF2232Medium.jpg

Slot the tape section back in the head unit and refixed the four screws.

DSCF2233Medium.jpg

I popped a little insulation tape over the three wire just incase it touches anything. I lead the cable out via the lower section on the back of the head unit.

DSCF2234Medium.jpg

Put it all back together and you should have this :thumbs:

DSCF2236Medium.jpg

Got the new tape and whipped the screws out. Removed all the tape and bobbins then put it back together.

DSCF2237Medium.jpg

I took the centre console and chose a way to make the hole in the cubby slot allow the 3.5mm jack through. I used the solder iron with the cutting blade.

DSCF2238Medium.jpg

Time to reassemble, lead the cable through the hole in the dash and through into the cubby hole. I forgot to take a image of this but you cant miss it lol...I would advise plugging the head unit in, slotting the tape in and trying it before rebuilding it all.

Once all built up it looks like this

DSCF2240Medium.jpg

DSCF2241Medium.jpg

Job done. :thumbs::yahoo::bounce:

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is this the same method posted yesterday by sparky350z?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33982&start=30

As stated at the top of my post I have only done what others have. I may have put a little more detial into mine. The thread also shows the full job not just head unit..

Zedjohn, there is a chap called R35 LEE I think who offers his services...If your close to me I dont mind helpping you out, but I dont expect payment it only take 30mins lol... :thumbs:

Nice work mate B) Could tell you are very handy with DIY stuffs. So will this allow you to control your iPod or MP3 player tracks from the head unit or steering like u do with the CD multichanger player? Or do u still have to change the tracks/songs using the mp3 player.

Nice work mate B) Could tell you are very handy with DIY stuffs. So will this allow you to control your iPod or MP3 player tracks from the head unit or steering like u do with the CD multichanger player? Or do u still have to change the tracks/songs using the mp3 player.

you'd still have to use the mp3 player to play and control your tracks, just think of this mod like a pair of headphones, the sound comes out of the unit but the mp3 player still controls the songs.

hope that makes sense :blush:

Thanks Neo..i think i will stick to my iPod transmitter as i am not a very technical person..don't want things to go tits up. :surrender:

You can control the volume through the steering wheel.. its just the tracks you have to change manually mate. I think this is the same with all after market phono lead conversions. You can buy the Nissan wiring loom for a little over £60 plus vat iirc, I saw this on another memeber thread and I would image that will allow the full control via the wheel :thumbs:

Alex

Thanks Neo..i think i will stick to my iPod transmitter as i am not a very technical person..don't want things to go tits up. :surrender:

You can control the volume through the steering wheel.. its just the tracks you have to change manually mate. I think this is the same with all after market phono lead conversions. You can buy the Nissan wiring loom for a little over £60 plus vat iirc, I saw this on another memeber thread and I would image that will allow the full control via the wheel :thumbs:

Alex

It's a shame really as my last car BMW 325i SE hardtop has an iPOD lead/wiring loom and i could actually change the tracks on my steering wheel control. And i could also see the track titles and songs thru the iDrive navigation system. Missed my old car in this weather now that the sun's out but the Zed is a lot more fun..lots of raw power and noice.

Cheers mate, I may take you up on that... I can see my Barbie Girl CD getting a little tedius...... :lol: I could always swap it for mitch's Cliff Richard one haha

No worries dude just name the time...can I borrow that Barbie cd please :dance:

Alex

It's a shame really as my last car BMW 325i SE hardtop has an iPOD lead/wiring loom and i could actually change the tracks on my steering wheel control. And i could also see the track titles and songs thru the iDrive navigation system. Missed my old car in this weather now that the sun's out but the Zed is a lot more fun..lots of raw power and noice.

Yeh my girlfriend has a new Honda Civic and that does the same...if you pay Nissans prices I'm sure theres will allow full functions. The mod Ive done cost £10 lol...I happy just using the mp3 player and volume. :thumbs:

Afternoon guys, with the day off work and some nasty damage on my front bumper corners courtsey of the old owner I thought it would be a good time to clean them up a little. I'm not to worried about it been perfect but I would like it a little less noticeable. I can only think she must have caught it on a curb or speed bump :bang:

Any ways, this is what I did..I also fitted my PIAA side light LED bulbs... :thumbs:

I started by removing the front bumper, this is the first time I've done this...it's not to bad just a pian in the ass with all the clips...

I jacked the drivers side up to gain better accses to the wing liners. Remove the front clips and screw under the wheel arch, then all the screws along the front of the bumper and three down each side of the engine shield.

DSCF4001Medium.jpg

DSCF4002Medium.jpg

DSCF4010Medium.jpg

DSCF4006Medium.jpg

DSCF4007Medium.jpg

DSCF4008Medium.jpg

On each side of the front bumper theres two bolts. These hold the front of the wing liner in place. With these bolts removed you can pull the liner around to find the last two clips. The clips hold the back lower section to the engine under shield I think...

DSCF4004Medium.jpg

DSCF4009Medium.jpg

DSCF4011Medium.jpg

You should now be able to remove the front section fo the liner. With the liner out the way theres three bolts on each side holding the bumper corners to the wings and headlamps.

DSCF4012Medium.jpg

Finally flip the bonnet release..Remove the 6 retaining clips along the top of the bumper...You only have to pull the insert out a few mm, if you pull to hard they dont remove.

DSCF4013Medium.jpg

With the bumper lose you will have to unclip the washer pipe that feed the headlamp washers. Just push the round clips and they pull off.

And shes off. :thumbs:

DSCF4014Medium.jpg

On with the repairs and paint lol. This is what the old owner has left me for a present.

DSCF4016Medium.jpg

I just rubber the rough plastic back with a bit of sand paper and got to work with the primer.

DSCF4017Medium.jpg

Primer

DSCF4018Medium.jpg

Flatted Primer

DSCF4019Medium.jpg

Paint

DSCF4028Medium.jpg

DSCF4032Medium.jpg

Finsihed, not great but a lot better if you ask me.

DSCF4033Medium.jpg

Side Lights (LED's)

While waiting for the paint to dry I changed my side light bulbs..I bought some PIAA ones for my old Celica and thought I might aswell sling them in the Z.

DSCF4027Medium.jpg

With the arch liner out its easy to see what your doing...Just unscrew the side light plug.

DSCF4021Medium.jpg

DSCF4023Medium.jpg

Couple of images for you all.

DSCF4027Medium.jpg

DSCF4025Medium.jpg

DSCF4024Medium.jpg

Thats it done...I used the Nissan touch up on the bumper, it does dry darked when it's fully dry, :thumbs:

Really impressive progress. I wish i had your motivation and ability (i suspect having the ability increases motivation levels mind).

I dont like to let things linger if possible, the main thing keeping me back with the bumper corners was weather. The forecast was ok today and I had enough time so it got sorted.

Its all just nuts and bolts, have a bash it's not hard :thumbs:

Nice write up and pictures as always Alex :thumbs: ..if only i am good with the technical sides of cars..all your guides in here would have been really useful to me :blush:

Bounty, you just have to try it. Once you have done a couple of thing you will be a whizz... :thumbs:

Think of all the money you could save, and the satisfaction of knowing you havent been arsed raped by the local garage. :p

I have changed the wipers and number plate and interior light bulbs myself. Anything more than that is outside my comfort zone. :lol: That's why i haven't put my name down for the folding mirror..not keen on DIY with the wiring diagrams and microswitch..don't want things to go tits up :lol:

Thats fair play mate, to be honest my brother has shown me the wiring diagram he's made and I honestly don't have a clue what its showing and I helped him do my car. :bang:

As for bumper's, centre consoles etc there only bolts...you just have to try it. :thumbs::p