My Progress UPDATED 18/11/2010 More 3M Di Noc

AlexZ

I've just had a quick look through the thread titles and I'm not sure were to post this if i'm honest. What I plan to do is keep the thread running and eveytime I do somthing just add the images onto it.

Some of you already know but I got my Z last Saturday. With the weather been a little poor and time been tight I finally got a few hours this afternoon to have a play between rain and dark.

IMAGE_002.jpg

DSCF1953.jpg

DSCF1954.jpg

Right, first on the list was to sort the groaning for the rear end. I read on the site the most common problem is anti roll bar drop links. I whipped these off and give them a good old lube up with MucOff Chain Lube (inc PTFE). I thought this may be better than spray grease cause its a little more hard wearing and last longer on my bike lol :thumbs:

DSCF1967.jpg

DSCF1968.jpg

When I removed the drop links the seemed to move freely and there was no play in them. I thought they feel fine, but as instructed from the forum I put some lube in them for good measure.

What is the little linkage system on the passanger side drop link..Couldnt figure out what this was for lol... :scare:

DSCF1965.jpg

With the car in the air I could see how black my tail pipes were. What a mess, with the drop links sorted I thought I'll have a bash at cleaning them. It took me ages to sort one, with the dark sky's in view I thought ram the second pipe for today and work on a little polishing.

BLACK

DSCF1956.jpg

DSCF1957.jpg

DSCF1958.jpg

CLEAN

DSCF1961.jpg

DSCF1959.jpg

DSCF1962.jpg

DSCF1964.jpg

When I got the car home last weekend I saw some finger prints on the rear tailgate spoiler. My mate tells me this is ladies foundation. With the last owner been a lady I thought fair play. They would not wash off for love nor money. I thought I might aswell started here.

I planned to Clay Bar the full car and get some polish & wax on before the bad weather comes. I clayed the spoller then used some Autoglym S/R. This brought the finger prints off no problem. :p:teeth:

Fingers

DSCF1970.jpg

DSCF1971.jpg

Clean

DSCF1973.jpg

DSCF1974.jpg

DSCF1975.jpg

DSCF1976.jpg

DSCF1978.jpg

DSCF1979.jpg

DSCF1980.jpg

DSCF1982.jpg

With the shiny spolier I thought I may aswell carry on while theres a little light left. I got the mirrors, Roof side sections (plastic above dooors), A pillars and the roof done. The roof isnt 100% yet I can still feel a few little bits in the centre that need attension. So far i'm happy and just need more time and a dry day to sort the rest. :teeth:

Roof

DSCF1983.jpg

DSCF1984.jpg

DSCF1986.jpg

Alexz

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far so good, u talk like u got big plans lol wots next on the list? and ur long term plans?

No big plans mate, I'm just a man who likes the genuine paint as best as possible no matter how old the car is. I'm not a big fan of repaints or bodywork really. :)

I would like a little carbon here and there when I'm happy with the main bodywork condition. :teeth::p For now its just making the car mine with cleaning etc.

Alexz

looks amazing mate :) i have the same drop link problem but not sorted it yet :(

Just jack the back end up mate, slide some axel stands under there and whip the out. There one 14mm bolt on the drop link through the stabiliser bar and two 14mm bolts holding the barcket to the car. Mine were well tight and I needed the 1/2 ratchet with a 32mm spanner on the end lol..

It takes an hour max start to finish. :p

Alex

looks amazing mate :) i have the same drop link problem but not sorted it yet :(

Just jack the back end up mate, slide some axel stands under there and whip the out. There one 14mm bolt on the drop link through the stabiliser bar and two 14mm bolts holding the barcket to the car. Mine were well tight and I needed the 1/2 ratchet with a 32mm spanner on the end lol..

Alex

Is it possible to lube the droplinks in-situ? Or is removal a must?

Alex

nice one mate :thumbs: i might go hunting for torque values as im a paranoid perfectionist :lol:

jacking the car up is a bad bit for me, never know if ive got it right :wacko:

Chain Lube sounds a good idea, cos I got some of that in my garage and didn't think of using that on my groaning droplinks.

I got some spray grease in the shed and found the chain lube while looking for it :p:p . You know what chain lube is like, takes some serious moving.

Alexz

Alex

Is it possible to lube the droplinks in-situ? Or is removal a must?

To be honest mate what little time it takes to remove the links when the car is in the air I would advise taking them off. Theres a lot less chance off you getting anything in your eyes if there out and on a bench or wheelie bin like me lol :p

I guess you could do them on the car, but it would defo have to be in the air.

Alexz

Alex

nice one mate :thumbs: i might go hunting for torque values as im a paranoid perfectionist :lol:

jacking the car up is a bad bit for me, never know if ive got it right :wacko:

If you look at this image you can clearly see the bolt I wrote about in the pm...

DSCF1968.jpg

According to the info I have all the bolts you undo should be tighten back to between 50=60N.M

Alexz

Looking at your droplinks i'd say they aren't that old and thats why they were easy to take off. If they were the originals you'd have a nightmare of a job to get them off. I suggest that if they are creaking and look like they've been on the car since day one, then buy a replacement set, :thumbs: as they would of worn out.

Looking at your droplinks i'd say they aren't that old and thats why they were easy to take off. If they were the originals you'd have a nightmare of a job to get them off. I suggest that if they are creaking and look like they've been on the car since day one, then buy a replacement set, :thumbs: as they would of worn out.

Evening Sunset, they were tight in the body but nothing my 1/2 inch ratchet and 32mm spanner couldn't sort lol. They only look this clean cause I cleaned them up while they were off the car :thumbs:. Touch wood they havent made a sound since and they didnt seem to have any play in them. The job itself is very easy and if they do start to make a noise again I will just swap them for some new ones. :p

Alexz

there should be loads about clay barring written on the net :) basically it draws out the engrained dirt that normal washing doesnt touch, makes a very glass like finish as al the paint contamination is removed. like a little lump of putty you rub over the car :)

She is looking a beauty mate ;)

Call me stupid but whats this clay bar all about, never had them im my day :lol:

Whats it do and where do you get em for all us clay bar newbies :lol::lol: unless i am the only clay bar virgin :blush:

Now then matie...as Husky said it removes the tar, road film etc from the paint...I use Mag's clay bar but there are other compaines i.e Sonus etc that make it also...I always use this before getting the pc on the job to remove any swirls etc for washing the car. If you pop to halfard or motor shop you will find it old boy... :thumbs:

Alexz

Well its been a week since I lubed the anti roll bar drop links and all is well...

Today I got the car into work for some wax oil fun before the winter weather comes. With it been a little damp outside I blow all the loose water from the panels with the air line before waxing. I was suprised to see some good undersealing on the car already from factory... :yahoo::teeth:

I covered every bit of metal I could see, thought its best to do everything than miss bit and wish I did them later... :D

DSCF1990.jpg

DSCF1991.jpg

DSCF2011.jpg

DSCF2012.jpg

DSCF2013.jpg

DSCF2014.jpg

DSCF2015.jpg

DSCF2016.jpg

DSCF2017.jpg

DSCF2018.jpg

DSCF2019.jpg

DSCF2020.jpg

DSCF2022.jpg

DSCF2023.jpg

DSCF2024.jpg

DSCF2025.jpg

DSCF2026.jpg

DSCF2027.jpg

DSCF2028.jpg

DSCF2030.jpg

With the wax oil all sorted I headed home to check the plugs...I removed all six one at a time and found two of them a little white in colour...From what I've read this means running lean.. I can only guess the injectors are a little blocked or have dirt in them. I plan to run some Redex through tomorrow and see if that helps. These were the only plugs that required re-gapping aswell :shrug:

DSCF2038.jpg

DSCF2039.jpg

With the plugs looking better and back in I whipped the air filter out just to be noise....I found to my suprise a K&N filter...Does anyone else have one..It didnt seem to have any oil on it..I know on my old cause it wasnt oil because this clogged the MAF sensor..Any ideas? :) To say it was dry there wasnt that much dirt in it so i'm guessing its newish..

DSCF2040.jpg

DSCF2042.jpg

Finally late after noon I got to carry on with the clay bar. I got the tailgate done but thats it. It still need some polish but at least its smooth. :scare:

Alexz

Were the too white coloured plugs from the front two cylinders by any chance?

Evening Stew, your right....I learnt today that the two front plugs are prone for this because there starved of air due to the plenum depth...

What I dont understand is why? After doing a little reading tonight theres companies out there that have sorted this problem offering around 11bhp increase and all the stock engine parts fitting back fine...? :scare:

Whats your thouths mate?

Alexz