I FINISHED a Duathlon. (pics too!)

AK350Z

The Whinlatter off road Duathlon to be exact, http://www.whinlatterduathlon.co.uk/

Bit worried now! Never been to an "event" before, and realising i need to get some serious running miles in, not something i currently do much of. I'll be happy to finish the thing in one piece, never mind place anywhere!

Anybody got any training tips, especially for a running novice?

That looks awesome!!!! You'll be fine, just get some training, remember to do stretches before & after so you don't end up with any strains, and don't push yourself too hard, too fast. Makes sure you have suitable footwear too. Even on relatively flat shingle easy to sprain an ankle if you don't have suitable shoes.

Do you do a bit of MTB?

"The event consists of a 5.5km trail run, followed by a 15km MTB incorporating the new Altura bike trails, finishing with a final 5.5km trail run".

That looks awesome!!!! You'll be fine, just get some training, remember to do stretches before & after so you don't end up with any strains, and don't push yourself too hard, too fast. Makes sure you have suitable footwear too. Even on relatively flat shingle easy to sprain an ankle if you don't have suitable shoes.

Do you do a bit of MTB?

"The event consists of a 5.5km trail run, followed by a 15km MTB incorporating the new Altura bike trails, finishing with a final 5.5km trail run".

Yep, the MTB bit is no problem, thats why i'm concentrating on the running. And mostly running uphill at that, the course has 500m of acent!

Had a wee 4.5mile jog yesterday, feel the pain today but going to get some proper trainers tomorrow so that should improve things a bit.

6 weeks to go.... :headhurt:

Nice one mate wondered where you had vanished too!

_45265164_77387bd2-9ac1-431e-8224-8765298b67f3.jpg

rocky-balboa-steps-dog_1166560005.jpg

Dont over do the running , get yourself some best quality running shoes - forget the chav shops - get online and use the proper running ones (mind you there is one in Mank) can ask mate at work he does the London Marathon and every other for fun! :bangin:

If this is the first time you've really ever done some running, I'd suggest that you get your shoes fitted by a reputable running shop rather than just buying some off the shelf because they are supposed to be good. It doesnt matter how technically advanced the shoe is, if it fits poor, you are going to be sore!

To give you an idea, the last time I got fitted properly it took over an hour!

Got some New Balance off road trainers yesterday, OK, i know they maybe aren't the very best but we have the factory (and hence a factory shop) nearby, so they are a bargain and get pretty good reviews. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-400--13067-2-1X2-3,00.html Cost is an issue at the moment, as i need to find some more dollars to get sorted out with clipless shoes and cleats for the bike.

The girl in the shop was helpful, and although it wasn't a bells and whistles fitment, at least she sounded she knew what she was on about!

They are performing well around the house at the moment :lol:

Event looks good. I do marathon and done a few triathlons, going to take the tris more sereiously next year.

My advice for the run would be, listen to your body, if you feel like you need to slow down, then do. Likewise if you feel like you can push then do. You'll be surpirse what your body can do, most of the pain etc will be in your head. but my biggest peice of advice would be don't walk, if you lose rythem is over, when you walk your muscles will tighten up as the latic acid will settle in your legs.

Also dont do anything different on race day then you have done in training, people on the sides might be handing out jelly babies etc, dont eat them if you dont know how your body will react. If you can practice taking on water when running, that may help. I remember the first time I went to an event and just picked up a bottle of water, i drank half of it then spent the next 5 mintues throwing up on the side of the road. That was during Notingham marathon a few years ago.

Go onto www.realbuzz.com loads of training advice on there :thumbs:

Oh also, do what I call 'off the bike running' Basically go for a session on the bike get straight off and go for a run, don’t go far but need to practice running this way as your legs will feel very very strange, but you'll see the feeling will go after 10-15 minutes.

• 1 month later...

Less than a week to go now :headhurt:

Have been getting some good runs in, mostly up my local hill so i'm getting good value from them. Weather forcast not looking too good for sunday, probably wind and rain - what a surprise! :dry:

The course has a lot of uphill in it, the runs should take about 40mins each, and the bike about 1.5hrs (hopefully!) Just need to think about transition zone supplies, and get round in one piece.

Well folks, it's all over now. I came a respectable 86th out of 145, with a time of 2h28m.

The winner, who was obviously awesome, completed the course in a barely beliveable 1h43m! The whole Event was very well run, and despite the showery weather, the whole thing was very enjoyable. Felt ok when i finished, although the legs are hurting a bit today!

Some Pics, I'm the one in the grey and yellow top where appropriate :D

The Start:

Whinlatter_Duathlon09009.jpg

Whinlatter_Duathlon09012.jpg

During the race:

Whinlatter_Duathlon09019.jpg

Whinlatter_Duathlon09027.jpg

Next up, the professional pics by the event photographers!

Feel the Burn!

091116074402_H.jpg

Flattering pic of me on the bike!

091116073557_H.jpg

I might even be tempted to do another one some time! Got the bug now....