Selling Car is this a scam!?

MrLizard

unsure whether to put this in the jokes bin or not.

Basically the situation is that we have a toyota aygo on finance and we are in a good position that the car after we take out our deposit and the interest paid to this point and remaining finance is worth more than we owe etc...

So, im in not massive rush to get rid of it as i know that if we brought it from toyota we would be getting a good deal, however in light of trying to make a bit of money i put it on autotrader around the asking price.

I got the below response. I would never accept a bankers draught (unless it was an ale) or even a Draft, having worked in a bank, but waiting until a cheque has cleared and drawing down on the money before signing the v5? wtf..

response below:

Subject: MY OFFER

Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:33:35 +0100

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for your quick response and am also excited to hear from you that the vehicle is still available for sale.

And thanks for the information you just gave about the vehicle and am quite delighted to hear from you that the vehicle is still in great conditions.

The reason why am purchasing this vehicle is because My self and my husband just need one additional vehicle.

Please i want you to email me more pictures aside from the one on web advert page if is still available both the exterior and interior.

Due to my condition i will not be able to view the vehicle at present because i'm heavily pregnant with set of twins,and the distance as well.

My personal circumstances do not allow me to travel,like wise my husband is away on a business trip.

According to the Features of the vehicle and the Full Description of the vehicle which i saw on the advert page i'm fully satisfied.

I want you to accept my offer of £5,600 inclusive the advert fees just because I know what the worth of the vehicle ,and also for you to reserve the vehicle for me.

The only way you will release the vehicle to any one is when the cash is in your hand, i.e. payments cleared at bank, and withdrawn.

I am located in Wales.

I will only required your full name and your postal address, so that the bankers draught could be posted to you via royal mail.

My preffered method of payment is by bankers draft /Cheque in a (GBP) which may take 3 to 5 working days to Clear.

Please note that you will only release the vehicle until you have received confirmation from your bank that the payment has been given value and cleared.

I hope to hear from you today in order to proceed further with the payment and shipping arrangements as soon as possible.

I look forward to hear back from you today.

Cheers

Mrs Maxwell

----------------------------

thoughts.

It was the nigerian/welsh lingo that gave it away......... :lol:

Nah, I spotted he/she was lying... he/she didnt use the following words so cant have been true...

Boyo,

isnt it.

Thats lovely for you

Really

isnt it

you see

Thats lovely for you

you knows it

Thats lovely for you isnt it

you see

And she was called Mrs Maxwell... If they had signed it Mrs Smith or Mrs Jones then they may have got away with it ;)

It was the nigerian/welsh lingo that gave it away......... :lol:

Nah, I spotted he/she was lying... he/she didnt use the following words so cant have been true...

Boyo,

isnt it.

Thats lovely for you

Really

isnt it

you see

Thats lovely for you

you knows it

Thats lovely for you isnt it

you see

And she was called Mrs Maxwell... If they had signed it Mrs Smith or Mrs Jones then they may have got away with it ;)

I can hear you now doing your best Tom Jones voice! :lol:

You know the really funny thing, I work with a Nigerian Engineer called Boyo! :lol::lol::lol:

Please tell me you go, "thats lovely for you isnt it Boyo" :p

Well we did call him the Welsh coal miner...... Not sure if that's racist or not but he didn't worry. :lol:

You know the really funny thing, I work with a Nigerian Engineer called Boyo! :lol::lol::lol:

Well we did call him the Welsh coal miner...... Not sure if that's racist or not but he didn't worry. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::thumbs:

:lol::lol::lol:

Lol!!!! :D

Out of my own personal curiosity does anyone know how this scam works? She is offering to send you money, is not requesting any personal detials other than name and address, and is not expecting the vehicle to be released until you have cleared funds in your bank account.

If the cheque/bankers draft is fake it won't clear. I know this is a scam, I just can't figure out how the scammer will make money out of this.

Perhaps I am being naiive, someone please enlighten me! :blush:

There's no scam directed to the selling of the car itself - he's just phishing for information. Having a full name and address together with the licence plate of the car may be enough to get some things (like from DVLA, sorry I lost my V5, or I changed my address, etc). They can also make up fake utility bills and then impersonate you and try as much as they can get away with.

It's the wording of the letter that's the giveaway - like the over-polite pompous c**p, saying the same thing twice to make you think he's thick, etc.