Just dropped a washer into the oil filler :(

nrenz123

I was removing the engine cover this evening to investigate an oily smell, I removed all the bolts that hold the cover in place. I tried to remove the cover but couldn't get it past the filler cap so I removed the cap.

While sliding the cover forward I heard something drop into the filler cap. Naturally I was deflated and gutted. It was one if the large washers from under the cover.

I know better than to start the car, so I had a good look around the engine bay but couldn't find the washer, so it's almost certainly gone into the head.

Has anyone got any experience removing the cam cover? From what I can see i will need to remove the plenum, intake, and right hand cam cover.

I'm hoping to get the cover off and it will just be sitting there!

here is a link where you can download the service manual. which will explain how to remove the cam cover.

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Service_Guide

just pick your year car

yes you are right you will need to remove the air intake and the upper and lower plenum and the cam cover the guide above should guide you through it.

good thing you realised and heard it drop and never started the car. could have been worse :scare:

hope this helps

It will be sitting on the top of the head beside the cam shafts and valve springs and should not go down any further although there is a large gap at the very front beside the cam sprockets and chains so be very careful.

Like the guys have suggested a strong telescopic magnet may lift it out, failing that, cam cover off I am afraid. I can talk you through this if you have any isues.

Alex.

Cheers guys, im going to put a magnet in a plastic bag and try dropping it into the car with a bit of string tomorrow. if that fails then it will be cam cover off.

Cheers for the offer alex, how would i get in touch with you?

Cheers guys, im going to put a magnet in a plastic bag and try dropping it into the car with a bit of string tomorrow. if that fails then it will be cam cover off.

Cheers for the offer alex, how would i get in touch with you?

You really would be much better with a flexy telescopic screwdriver type magnet as you would have much more control over it.

To get in touch just pm me if you have issues and I will send over a contact phone number.

Here, this will help you where to look and your telescopic flexable magnet should do the rest.

Are you sure that the washer definately went into the oil filler?

Looking down the filler with a bore scope should locate the demon. Even looking down the oil filler with only your eye will reveal quite a large surface area of the cyl head.

DSCF1785.jpg

DSCF1786.jpg

DSCF1787.jpg

DSCF1788.jpg

Alex.

Well after a good hour or so of prodding around with a telescopic magnet this morning with no luck i had to strip the whole thing down, the worst part was removing the lower of the two rubber hoses that go to the throttle body as they had never been off before. I lost some skin taking that off but apart from that it wasnt too bad.

The washer had rolled back slightly as my parent house live on quite a steep street, but i was obvious when the cam cover came off it was just sitting there laughing at me :(:p.

Car is back together now, i've checked all the hoses i removed and they are all connected properly and all the nuts and bolt are tightened so hopefully all should be well.

On the plus side fitting a plenum spacer should take half the time now :)

glad you got it out its complete ar5e when this happen. my mate did simular on his fto a few year back by taking the tappets out to clean and one of the tappets slipped his hand and drop it down the block. after that he has to strip the bottom end to get the tappet out and that took him a good day.