OMG..it went sideways!!

jerry3167

:scare: Had a first taste of sideways action yesterday at the PURLEY CROSS roundabout!

Had a bus on my left, I was in the middle lane, but knew I could get away quick enough to get ahead of the bus and go left, didnt factor that roads were still fairly wet, greasy, I think the bus driver sensed I was going, so he turns in a way that blocks the middle lane(me), so as the lights change I had to go wide Right, planted my foot in 2nd, and the rear end loss traction and started going sideways :scare: it was for only around 2-3 seconds if that, but woahh..scary! Bloody buses.

Clean pants for me Jerry :scare:

:lol: i did it 2 round abouts in a row the other night and it nearly made me sh1t myself as well, went way more than i planned and has since shown me that 2-3 mm is not enough tread on bridgestones in the wet. so now i got to fork out the monkies to get new shoes

It felt good in an awful way to be in control of something "out of control"..

Ordered more Captain Brave underpants BTW! :lol:

i know what you mean its quite addictive as well,

by the way can i have some captain brave underpants as well please.

Did you have TC turned off? 2-3 seconds is a loooong time for TC not to kick in if its on, unless you had all 4 tyres sliding :scare: It normally intervenes pretty well if you load the tyres up properly, its when you stab at the throttle that it gets twitchy. Especially going quite slowly in second gear in the wet I find!

I think everyone should go and learn to ride a motorbike, it teaches you so much in terms of loading tyres and throttle and brake finesse, makes driving the Zed in the wet a piece of cake ;)

Jerry here is a simple equation:

Damp road + turning the steering wheel + 'Planting your foot' = Big sideways action!

*However there are 2 variables which determine the final outcome:

If you meant to do it = Big Smile

If you didn’t = Brown (warm) Pants!!

Haha :thumbs:

I think you need to talk to Sunset about the consequences in the damp.......

Had a close experience like yours in the underpass outside alders in Croydon after getting the car washed... the soap on the tyres along with tyre dressing made the tyres like slicks... Control was more luck than judgement as came out unscratched!

Think its time we get an airfield activity day booked. Plenty of space to trash about with no TC on and learn the limits of your car. All for less than £40 for the day :thumbs:

I'll get on to Car Limits and see what they can do for us in the next few months :)

Think its time we get an airfield activity day booked. Plenty of space to trash about with no TC on and learn the limits of your car. All for less than £40 for the day :thumbs:

I'll get on to Car Limits and see what they can do for us in the next few months :)

Also a good opportunity to burn out those crappy Bridgestones and replace them with something decent. :D

i might be up for this, i think if i'm going i might postpone putting new rubber and trash the leftover tread of my bridgestones on this, and then put fresh shoes on.

TBH, I burnt only about 1mm max off my tyres on the day! My tyres were shot already and it didnt take a lot off at all. Might be different if you have big brand new blocks of tread I guess! They make you pump your tyres up rock hard to reduce grip anyway, so reducing wear even more.

I will enquire with Andy at CarLimits and see what we can work out. Does look like they are heavily booked up already though, so if we want a dedicated session then it will be Oct some time by the looks of it. We can always trash in on a public session though :drive1

Get booked on a drift day at Oulton Park. I've just done one, and it was excellent (and doesnt harm your tyres contrary to popular belief). It would be the easiest way to learn to control your car in a drift situation.

I had the TC off, as It made the Z twitch a couple of times! I am very used to launching with my Type-R wet or dry, but all this rear wheel action is new to me, but a nice controlled enviroment would be ideal to push the limits, not your luck.

BTW Captain Brave underpants only come with the dry-weave, one-way top sheet, SOLD OUT :lol:

Do you lot drive about with the TC off all the time or something? I never touch mine and it only allows enough of a wiggle to allow the LSD to get to work. Thats enough for me! :surrender:

I leave it on as with the Toyos and my less than aggressive driving style it never kicks in!

Leave mine on all the time too, unless on track, thats the only time you should be expecting to spin your wheels as you are near the limit. If you need to turn it off on the road, either something is wrong with your car or you need to learn better throttle finesse ;)

Although its a long drive for me, count me in!!! :yahoo:

I know about Madmarky and Sunset...but i still find the ESP on the Z fantastic...dont know if the newer versions have different settings or if its because of my ps2s but there is no way i can lose traction on a roundabout and total the car unless its understeer (= i am too thick and shouldn't be driving anyway)... :surrender:

In any case i hope i wont find out....ever..... :lol::lol: