TC nearly killed me ....again!!!

adammitch69

Afternoon guys,

My traction control nearly sent me into the crash barrier yesterday (for the second time this month) and its starting to becoming 'annoying'.

I was taking a corner on a dual carriage way (Elland bypass A629) at about 65mph, the road was dry, but the TC kicked on and off for 2 seconds.

I have new Falkens on the rear (1000 miles worn in) and my older bridgestones on the front. Ideally you should have the same tryes all round but surely this cant result in the apparent random behaviour??

any ideas and thoughts?????

I have new Falkens on the rear (1000 miles worn in) and my older bridgestones on the front. Ideally you should have the same tryes all round but surely this cant result in the apparent random behaviour?

You've answered your own question. Totally different compounds front & rear means totally different grip levels, that's why your car tried to kill you. I suggest spending a bit more cash for Falkens all round before you end up in a ditch.

I have new Falkens on the rear (1000 miles worn in) and my older bridgestones on the front. Ideally you should have the same tryes all round but surely this cant result in the apparent random behaviour?

You've answered your own question. Totally different compounds front & rear means totally different grip levels, that's why your car tried to kill you. I suggest spending a bit more cash for Falkens all round before you end up in a ditch.

+1 on that. Mixed compounds equals mixed handling characteristics.

I don't think that just different tyres in each axle can result in strange TC behaviour. If that was the case then after some 1000s of kms, when the rear tyres are always in worse condition than the front, it would also result in strange TC operation, sth that does not happen. So I agree with Ekona, maybe sth to do with the road? And what exactly did the TC did to you that was dangerous?

Adam

I did exactly the same as you - new Falken 452s on the rear with the original Bridgestones still on the front - still with probably 4mm tread left - and my car did exactly the same thing you're describing.

Did it first time on a long sweeping slip road between M25 and M23. Then did it again on a long sweeping 60mph bend on an A road (which I know you can comfortably take a lot faster than that).

Certainly scared me on both occasions - unsettled the car - and on both occasions there was no sensation of slipping before the TC kicked in - feeling like it grabbed a front brake.

Anyway, I put some Falkens on the front as well and the car feels so much better - and no TC issues since.

Afraid you're gonna have to bite the bullet and replace the fronts.

Dave

Process of elimination.

Start with tyres.

Are tyres correct size.? if so swop them out so that they are all the same type.

+1. I'd check that the sizes are correct.

Also ran bridgestones on the front with Toyos on the rear and had no problems.

Process of elimination.

Start with tyres.

Are tyres correct size.? if so swop them out so that they are all the same type.

+1. I'd check that the sizes are correct.

Also ran bridgestones on the front with Toyos on the rear and had no problems.

Too right.

Check tyre size, condition and make sure the pressures are correct.

From then I'd replace I'm afraid.

I would guess that both sets of tyres when they have full tread would be not quite right, but right enough that TC behaves. Then when the rears wear more, it puts teh difference between them out even more causing TC to get confused. I would get the same tyres on the front and see what happens from there.

We have had loads of examples on here where tyre stagger (rolling radius) has been slightly wrong and thrown TC off.

cheers Dave_McC least I can put it down to tyres rather than anything else more serious. both corners where long sweeping ones too - its strange as can take very sharp corners at speed fine.

black circles it is then :-(

have to put my part worns on ebay ....or save them for a track day!!

• 4 weeks later...

Whoa there Lesley!! :scare:

My Z has just tried to exactly the same to me after fitting a couple of Toyo T1-R's on the rear but keeping the standard Bridgistones on the front. I had them fitted last Wednesday and it happened for the first time driving at about 60mph round a long sweeping right hander the following day - it gave me a right shock. I haven't been confident with the feel of the car either since Wednesday, then the same thing happened just now on a different 60mph long right hander. Exactly as you described adammitch69.

Right, I too will be reaching into my pocket for a new pair of front paws. Just what I need what with the synchro having packed in on 5th/6th, it needing a service in 1000 miles, the front discs and pads needing replacing with the service and having scraped it at 1mph yesterday in the world's tightest multistorey carpark. I estimate that little lot coupled with the new Jimmy Choos freshly fitted on the back will set me back a couple of grand.... :rant::rant::angry:

Had the car for a year, planning to come along to the next meet and say hello if I can afford the petrol after this lot!!