BP Ultimate? Is it?

vasser

Went to fill up the car earlier at BP, when i noticed the Ultimate Petrol is only Ron97, when the Zed is suppose to use at least Ron98. I normally go to Shell, but does this mean the supermarkets like Tesco and Asda are better than BP for the super unleaded ?:ban: ?

When I had my bike, I had the befefit of acually seeing the petrol inside the tank from the open filler cap.

Supermarlet fuel left me very very unimpressed, because it was cloudy.

Shell fuel on the other hand was very clear and I could see all the way to the bottom of the tank.

That's the reason I stick with Shell fuel.

My Zed gets nothig other than V-Power to drink.

oh now thats interesting!

will defo be sticking to using the shell v-power. had no idea about the tansparency of the petrol from different places. Only reason went to BP was passing and was going to need petrol soon. Left it though and went to Shell.

well without opening an old can of worms.... yes bp ultimate is rated at 97 ron (also more expensive v-power)... where as the likes of shell v-power and tesco's t99 are both 99 ron rated... i personally only use v power as i have a shell like 2 miles from my house.... if i had a choice i would use tescos t99... company downsouth who do alota modifying from bmw's to vx220 to zafira's, "thorney motorsports" did a long term fuel test and they recommend tescos t99.. the vx220 boys will know the company very well and so will vxr boys... they occasionally appear on top gear aswell.. ie the bmw britcar and the renault avantime.. thorney motorsport crew...

-ho

Given that Thorney (or TMS) have managed to get some 'interesting' results on their dyno in recent years, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on those results. Mechanically they're good at what they do as I had my car worked on there a few times, but don't trust the dyno for peanuts.

My car gets BPU as that's what's closest. It's also had Tesco and Shell and other random 97+ stuff in France and random motorway services. As long as you're putting in 97+ regularly, it'll be fine.

have been using tesco, as its cheaper, was using bp ultimate. but to be honest they're fairly similar, and most fuels come from the same place.

there are only a handful of petroluem distribution centres, which supply all the retailers. so they all use the same fuel. its just tesco sell theres cheaper as they offset the cost through the fact that if they get you in the tesco centre with low fuel ,you'll probably spend money in the store while your there.

tesco maywell add there own additives, but additives are better than none regardless of how accuratly they are measured in. as long as its not full of crap, and won't clog my fuel filters i'll be happy.

Been discussed before - people get so hot under the collar about it?

Read the bottom of my signature :lol:

I use the cheapest petrol thats conveniently available to me - I hate Tesco with a passion so avoid them anyway, Shell is my fave and I do notice a smoother run but I never buy fancy high octane stuff as I have never noticed that much difference in it and cant justify the cost with the 700 miles per week I do! On the other hand Sainsburys seem to have good petrol also?

Did'nt the super markets have contaminated petrol down south last year then there was a shortage of sender units going pop? :headhurt:

Only time I ever noticed a hugh wallop in power difference when I was driving home late one night in the MR2 roadster and tired I put TOTAL high octane stuff in by mistake - the damn thing nearly took off on the slip road ! :surrender:

I've always used Tesco 99 and it is brilliant stuff. Car feels much perkier than when I have used other brands. And their stuff comes from a good supplier (not sure who) but they just reduce their profit margin so they can offer it to us as low prices. I've had it recommend to me by tuners too if you can get it. Luckily I have two large stores (near Brighton and Worthing) that do it.

It's cheaper than most normal unleaded petrol at other places too. Didn't realise Asda or Sainsburys did 98 or 99 ron too. My locals only do 95.

Just to clear one issue up. I work at an oil refinery, ALL the suppliers fill their wagons here, they put additives in it as they wish. The price is obviously down to the market and overheads.

It all starts off the same apart from the grade.

Good info Martin, always thought this was the case.

However i only use tesco 99 or shell v-power and collect points/airmiles :blush:

IMO tesco 99 gives slightly crispier response. i've always felt BPU is overarted!

Well after reading this i decided I raced to my local Tescos at 5 (cheers CS) when I finished work to wait in the queue for 15 minutes (only half of the pumps were on).

I usually use super unleaded at texaco which is 97 ron i think and I was quite impressed with the price of the Tesco 99 as its about the same price.

Took the Zed for a quick spin and in all honesty I cant tell any difference at all in responsiveness/power :lol:

Worth a try anyway!

I'm going to stick with the 99 though as its the same price :teeth: