Choosing a new mobile phone?!

rtbiscuit

my contract is due to end, and i am swapping from orange to O2, i have my broadband with them and have bee nvery happy with there customer services. but my dilemma now is what phone do i swap to.

i want it to do the phone thing well i.e. it needs to have good reception, not drop calls, good mic pic up, no line distortion and not drop calls.

other than that the ability to sync with outlook and be easy to use, text etc. and have minimal glitches.

i have narrowed it down to 2 phones i like the new sony erricson eperia X1 and the apple iphone.

i don't like flip phones, or sliding phones, am not that bothered about mp3 playing, pic quality, and don't browse online on my phone much. i like the l;arge keyboard idea as i'm not the best texting person, and i have to use 2 hands. i want good bluetooth capabilities i.e. syncing with the car etc. battery life and the fact i have to live wit hit for the next 18 months is a very big issue as well

does anyone have any experience with either what are peoples recommendations, is the iphone worth it, does it deserve the hype, is it eeasy to use. do people have other recomendations?

i like my techy stuff and have had PDA's before but there are issues with both phones that are really confusing me.

i have read loads of reviews on the net about both phones and i'm still undecided. i've got 2 weeks to decide.

I am with 02 and got the new iphone in September.I am made up with it,love the free browsing you get with it and the ipod player is brilliant.As a phone it does that part very well,although i have not used the bluetooth on it yet so cant comment.

The only down side is no pic messaging and the camera is a bit crap.

I've just got home from a family do, and have been shown an iphone packed with downloaded apps tonight, and all i can say is :cloud9:

It was ace!! So much software (all of which he said he's downloaded for free...)

I was talking to him about the head-up display i've just fitted to my car today, and he has one on the iPhone! It shows speed, and other stats, and reverses them ready for you to just place it on your dash boaard!! I dont know how well it works, but it was ace!!

Other software he had was a speed camera warning system - telling you about static units, various traffic programs. A very useful train times app, listing the departure/arrival times at a given station... and the app that totally blew me away (although it was pointless) - A list of CCTV traffic cams throughout london (hundreds of them), and you click on one and it instantly brings up a live feed of that cam!!

I need to get an iPhone asap after seeing all this tonight!!

I've had and still own the 2G and 3G iPhones.

I used to change phones literally every 2 months a little while back (seriously) and the reason I say "used to" is because since I have owned an iPhone, every other phone just pales in comparison.

Its actually more of a mini computer to be fair given what it can do.

Yes there are some very perculiar ommisions like MMS for instance, but if you can do without that and say video calls (two things people rarely use anyway) you definitely won't be dissapointed with an iPhone.

I have had a hands on with the Experia and it wasn't anything special in my opinion.

Get down to the O2 store and get a demo of an iPhone. They have a ton on display. That and the Carphone Warehouse.

If you have any questions about them, please feel free to ask :thumbs:

so you both reckon the iphone is better than the x1, i keep flitting between the 2, one minute its the iphone the next its the x1. from what you both said you have just swayed me back to the iphone. :wacko::headhurt:

i must admit my experience with windows mobile devices has never been good, and its one of the points that is niggling me about the x1. and how slow it runs.

but i do like the fact that its compatible with everything i run at home.

may have to go and have a demo of them. anyone with more feed back please let me know.

also is the iphone able to link with outlook?

nooooooo not the X1 lol. all windows based mobies are slow and crappy. the iphone is good, i have the apple touch and everythings just so smooth and great. But! the fact you said

i like the large keyboard idea as i'm not the best texting person, and i have to use 2 hands.

then i'd say the iphone wouldn't be your phone. Im with orange, was about to cancel my contract too and go to O2 but i decided to stay and upgrade. I had the HTC Touch Diamond, was an ok phone but its windows based so its slow and the battery life was crap. So i upgraded to the new blackberry curve 8900 and i love it. Its thin, fast, has a full keyboard on it and the battery life is great. its pretty much an emailing phone so i'd say its pretty much exactly what your after. plus it has a 3.5mm jack so u can plug in your headphones.

Im not saying its better than the iphone, i really went for that phone because i missed the feel of real buttons. But i do think its more the phone your after. O2 sell it too, ask for a wee demo as well!

Speak to O2 in the shop and try both out. Then see if you can wing a test drive of both. If they really want your business, they will allow you to try both for about a week. Vodafone do this when you upgrade, and last time I did I couldnt decide between two SE phones, so they gave me both to try. Just send back the one you dont want. And dont try nicking one, they have you CC details and will just bill you for it :lol:

Vodafone do this when you upgrade, and last time I did I couldnt decide between two SE phones, so they gave me both to try. Just send back the one you dont want. And dont try nicking one, they have you CC details and will just bill you for it :lol:

Really? Ill have to try this when I change my phone with them :)

i was thinkin of goin for the iphone cos it really is impressive but has minor downfalls. thinkin of goin for the nokia 5800 out in february- similar to the iphone but with better bluetooth capabilities and some other stuff, not as impressive as the iphone as in the screen doesnt zoom etc and u cant download the applications like the iphone has.

sorry to confuse u more lol but give it a look

http://www.nokia.co.uk/5800

i think its the one for me

May I throw another one in the pot for you to consider? ;)

Samsung Omnia - 8G or 16G models (built in memory+16G external) Windows mobile device . Yes indeed once in a blue moon I have to reboot it but....battery life is good -the geeks on the Omnia forum have loads of advise on how to mod it (yes yes I know I dont mod my Zed but I have my phone)

It looks Iphone like but its not as flash (I went for black) but you can get white etc etc bla bla - bling stuff...

Very light small enough without needing midget fingers, well screwed together - plenty of freeware out there as its boggo windows.

You can make it look and behave like the Iphone interface with a different interface (same as the HTC diamond) SPB Mobile shell or Winterface for example?

To be honest I hated it after 2 days but then as I began to understand how to change it to how I wanted it now I love it. The damn thing has everything litterally! It really is a mini computer in my pocket - it will sync with everything. I've installed Tom Tom on it and it works fine I can read my emails etc check t'internet of course for the forum. B)

You can just about change most things on it and if you dont like it put them back.

The best thing about the Iphone was getting Windows developers off their ar**s to create similar style interfaces and think on different lines?

I was going to go for the Iphone but I really dont think its quite there yet? The Samsung is the best compromise for me ?

Btw did I mention the 5M camera - which is one of the easiest and nicest I have ever used :thumbs:

Good luck in your search :)

I wish we could go back 20 years to a time when no one but Hooray Henry's had them. I am quite sure people would commit suicide if they were without one for a week. Damn pesky things.Does my head in when you see a group of lads or girls in bars and all they bloody do is stare at their dam moby's even though they are out with their mates :wacko:

Today they have more bleedin functions than a 747. :lol:

my current phone is a samsung, and its one of the reasons i wouldn't have another one.

phone was good to start with, but because i haven't turned my phone off in over 12 months the battery is shocking now, it can't get signal like it used to.

just fancy something thats not another samsung, their build quality just isn't as good as others.

as for mobiles being the life blood of the masses. only use about 80 minutes a month on my phone and only send about 20 txts.

i have it more for emergencies and general contact, but i like my gadgets, and miss my PDA, thought it would be better to combine my phone with a PDA, and because apple software is meant to be more reliable than windows i think it would be better.

when i went on my honeymoon i turned it off for the whole 2 weeks and didn't miss it once.

I know what you mean about Samsung - I had a G600 before and really frustrated with how flimsy it was and also the way you do stuff on it was'nt very common sense logical !!!

But looking round and not wanting to pay through the nose on an Iphone I stumbled on the Omnia - its a totally different kettle of fish!

Always had Moto's prior to this and they were rock solid except recently where they have just gone down hill big stylie - fed up with them breaking down all the time.

For me this phone is a bit of a lifeline - my first phone that does more than just make calls - working in the back of beyond and presently trying to change jobs its been great for researching and following up etc etc ...

Beavis I completely agree with you mate we are breeding a nation of muppets who wont be able to hold a conversation - they would rather talk through a mobbie!! :boxing:

May I throw another one in the pot for you to consider? ;)

Samsung Omnia - 8G or 16G models (built in memory+16G external) Windows mobile device . Yes indeed once in a blue moon I have to reboot it but....battery life is good -the geeks on the Omnia forum have loads of advise on how to mod it (yes yes I know I dont mod my Zed but I have my phone)

It looks Iphone like but its not as flash (I went for black) but you can get white etc etc bla bla - bling stuff...

Very light small enough without needing midget fingers, well screwed together - plenty of freeware out there as its boggo windows.

You can make it look and behave like the Iphone interface with a different interface (same as the HTC diamond) SPB Mobile shell or Winterface for example?

To be honest I hated it after 2 days but then as I began to understand how to change it to how I wanted it now I love it. The damn thing has everything litterally! It really is a mini computer in my pocket - it will sync with everything. I've installed Tom Tom on it and it works fine I can read my emails etc check t'internet of course for the forum. B)

You can just about change most things on it and if you dont like it put them back.

The best thing about the Iphone was getting Windows developers off their ar**s to create similar style interfaces and think on different lines?

I was going to go for the Iphone but I really dont think its quite there yet? The Samsung is the best compromise for me ?

Btw did I mention the 5M camera - which is one of the easiest and nicest I have ever used :thumbs:

Good luck in your search :)

I swore id never have another samsung but this is like no other samsung ive owned, i went for the 16gig version and its excellent far better than the HTC touch i tried before it and the M3100 before that :thumbs:

I wish we could go back 20 years to a time when no one but Hooray Henry's had them. I am quite sure people would commit suicide if they were without one for a week. Damn pesky things.Does my head in when you see a group of lads or girls in bars and all they bloody do is stare at their dam moby's even though they are out with their mates :wacko:

+1, when I went travelling a couple of years ago I left my phone behind, I loved every minute of the 7 months knowing that everytime I heard a phone ring it wasn't mine.

Oi, those kids keep me in business in these times! Without it, O2 wouldnt require my services and I'd be out the job (well on the bench) :surrender:

I'm glad they are not seen as a luxury any more, its going to keep me going until the economy picks up again :teeth:

Oi, those kids keep me in business in these times! Without it, O2 wouldnt require my services and I'd be out the job (well on the bench) :surrender:

I'm glad they are not seen as a luxury any more, its going to keep me going until the economy picks up again :teeth:

I have two of them, one for work and a private one, still hate the things though. Its the reliance on them today that gets to me. ;)

If it keeps you in a job then all well and good :thumbs: