UK 350z is it really worth a turbo or supercharger?

Zedrush

Many times we hear people who want fi in their UK car, most of the time people dont know how to drive the car to its limit in the first place just feel that if they have a turbo they would be able to drive like a pro... like erm me ha ha. :blush:

When I had my Z I was contemplating whether or not to get it turboed, and the fact that a P.E kit could be purchased and installed for under 6k really did get me excited. But... and its a big but, the ECU problem would have arisen. I just want to know if there are any UK cars that have been modded either by turbo or by supercharger that did not do anything to the ECU? Or is it only people who benefitted having a Jap import and saving on ECU remapping costs. Also did anyone find a reliable ECU tuner, who did it succesfully and didnt cost the earth. I only know of one person who I trusted but set back including fcon kit was about £1300 for the remap. I have heard many places wont touch it as its not so straight forward and fear of ruining the engine is quite high. If only I had a jap import :blush:

I don't see the issue myself. I've turbocharged cars before and had to use an aftermarket piggyback (e-Manage Blue) and everything was rosy. It's all down to whoever is doing the map, and if they're a competent mapper then there really shouldn't be any issue at all: It'd certainly be no worse than remapping a JDM ECU, albeit that there is one more link in the chain that could go wrong.

With a wideband sensor and AFR gauge (+ EGT if you really want safety) then it's perfectly possible to tune the car yourself if you're prepared to take your time and not rush things.

I think that where the whle turbo and supercharger goes wrong. People think it costs 6k. It does for the kit however all the extras add up. Piggy back,mapping, gauges, brakes, suspension, etc

Ok, you could do it 'cheap' but then I think you'd run into problems.

I would install FI if it took my fancy but the ACTUAL cost scares me to be honest!

Yup, the other thing with going FI is that you WILL uprate everything in the end. You say, "Oh I'll just get the PE kit and be done with it" but you will blatently will end up getting forged this and uprated that. The true cost of FI is shocking.

And Jay, I agree, most people would be better off spending the money on driving tuition. My mate has an Evo putting out around 310BHP and unless its wet, I can loose him in the twisties. Its all about the driver. Learn the true limits of the car before you go adding more serious power :thumbs: So many people bang on about how much power they have, but it means nothing about how quick they can drive. Look at the Wales run. Some people pootle along (and thats their perogative, nothing against it) and some absolutely hoon down the roads :blush:

if you've got the cash (and more than 6k) then it's all perfectly possible - it's certainly not worth it financially or logically (buy a faster car!).. but then life would be boring if you just went by what was sensible..

.......and we know from Sunday that you are not going to stay sensible ;)

Lol, Pingu got something up his sleeve? :lol:

Yeh its a tough subject imo, whilst £5500 does sound inviting it is the thought of thats not all you will have to pay. Ecu will guarantee to set you back at least 1k and then some, then uprating certain areas to strengthen, so all in you are probably looking at 8 to 9k, then more services and so forth... With Jap import you dont need to do anything to the ECu I thought as its not self learning, so will accept upgrade which will at least save you 1k.

Faster car is probably better option, but a 350z is so hard to beat on looks imo especially at that price

Faster car is probably better option, but a 350z is so hard to beat on looks imo especially at that price

+1 Would be easy to just go out and buy just another 4wd track slag but where is the fun in that? It's all about being individual and making the car you want. I can't see myself selling the Z anytime soon and FI would be a logical next step but I think I would personally get more out of the car by upgrading the brakes, coilovers first etc.

+1 Would be easy to just go out and buy just another 4wd track slag but where is the fun in that? It's all about being individual and making the car you want. I can't see myself selling the Z anytime soon and FI would be a logical next step but I think I would personally get more out of the car by upgrading the brakes, coilovers first etc.

Hate doing this.. but I ha...a...a....a.v...e.. to...to....to...to... t t t to agree.. there I said it hate agreeing with Andy :angry::lol:

Hate doing this.. but I ha...a...a....a.v...e.. to...to....to...to... t t t to agree.. there I said it hate agreeing with Andy :angry::lol:

I am always right, you should know that by now ;):lol:

+1. It depends what you are after. I think you can get a "faster" car by improving your own driving before getting it turbo'd. Then theres brakes and suspension, these again will give you more effect, coupled with good driving, than a turbo and poor driving. If you have the money to do that and get a turbo, then I'd say thats the best outcome of all. But that will set you back near on, what, £15k? :surrender:

IMHO that's undoubtedly the right order to do things in. Get the most out of the car by honing your own skills and the handling and brakes and then the next stage is more power.

Would go (more then likely will myself) FI just to have a few more HP under the hood B) wouldn't get it to be able to drive faster during a twistie track / road etc. But for cruising along in motorway speed and just be able to floor it and shoot off would be nice.... wolf in... type of thing.

(trying to find any other reasons to go FI but can't)

:lol:

i was always brought up that when moddin g a car the order to do it in was

1 stopping

2 cornering

3 power

getting more ponies is the last thing you do.

i have added power mods to my car first only becaus they don't gain anything.

i'm happy with the car i have, just want more noise :teeth:

but then i see myself as a competant driver (my view not others :blush: )

i haven't done any track days yet, but i have done a bit of go karting, and considering that all the carts are on the same power its a fairly even playing field and should show drivers ability.

i tend to way more than 3-4 stone than most people at 16 and 1/2 stone. yet i can keep up with and overtake people alot lighter than me. i like to think i have surprised several people who were expecting me to be at the back. on my last karting day i qualified second on the grid. (my only let down is that from a standing start i do take longer to get up to top speed. :rant:

some good responses there B) Just thought was worth bringing up because people seem misguided (especially me) that if I go turbo I will be faster, if Im faster, I will be a better driver... So many people ask about turbos and other F.I, but how many are actually confident to drive it to an excess that demands it in a safe environment or would it be a waste of money. Seems a dangerous game to advertise come get your turbo kits fitted for 5.5k when really you need to uprate brake kits, and perhaps suspension in addition as well as ECU problems you could encounter. Just thought people should be aware that its not a simple thing of I want turbo, Ill ask and ill get and ill be able to drive like Hamilton, it really is for people who are experience drivers, hence why I didnt go down that path, that and price :blush:

people always forget about the clutch,

if you uprate a cars power and tourque by a large amount, then guarenteed the original clutch will burn out in no time at all.

if you go turbo your going to need a better clutch, and while your under there dismantling the gear box, you might as well lob in a lightened flywheel.

see how easy it is to start getting new bits :headhurt:

that and any kind of after market turbo or super charger is never just a plug in a play unit like standard fit turbo systems. they require constant monitoring, tinkering and tuning. All the lads on the MR2ROC spent loads of time fettling and checking their system.

the only unit that didn't require this was the TTE system as this was the only one authorised by toyota and covered under the same warranty.

if your not a tinkering type of person i would suggest not going down the FI route. you can't just slap it on and forget about it.

some good responses there B) Just thought was worth bringing up because people seem misguided (especially me) that if I go turbo I will be faster, if Im faster, I will be a better driver... So many people ask about turbos and other F.I, but how many are actually confident to drive it to an excess that demands it in a safe environment or would it be a waste of money. Seems a dangerous game to advertise come get your turbo kits fitted for 5.5k when really you need to uprate brake kits, and perhaps suspension in addition as well as ECU problems you could encounter. Just thought people should be aware that its not a simple thing of I want turbo, Ill ask and ill get and ill be able to drive like Hamilton, it really is for people who are experience drivers, hence why I didnt go down that path, that and price :blush:

Did Phil finnally hit you with the sanity stick? This doesnt sound like the Jay that used to bang on about going as fast as he can. All sounds advice non the less :thumbs:

rtbiscuit: spot on mate, I dont think many people realise how much you need to monitor and tinker to get it right in the first place. Once you have a sensible tune, I think you can pretty much leave it, but the nature of the beast is you always want more.

In real terms, becoming a better driver will make you faster. If you CBA with that then get an Evo! Has all the tricks and gismos to make you quicker without knowing what you're doing and can be easily tuned to silly speeds. Just dont expect any respect from me :p

Did Phil finnally hit you with the sanity stick? This doesnt sound like the Jay that used to bang on about going as fast as he can. All sounds advice non the less :thumbs:

rtbiscuit: spot on mate, I dont think many people realise how much you need to monitor and tinker to get it right in the first place. Once you have a sensible tune, I think you can pretty much leave it, but the nature of the beast is you always want more.

In real terms, becoming a better driver will make you faster. If you CBA with that then get an Evo! Has all the tricks and gismos to make you quicker without knowing what you're doing and can be easily tuned to silly speeds. Just dont expect any respect from me :p

Nope they just said for 5.5k I could have a turbo kit. Unfortunatly as rtbiscuit says its not just the turbo kit you have to think of. So think its a good idea any body thinking of going FI not to be caught out by the attractive price of 5.5k but think of all the other extra add ons you will have to think of when going down this route which you are not told off on face value. ;)

agree whole heartedly.

i've always preffered evo's over scoobies, but i'd never own one.

you take off the spoiler, air scoops and bodykits, and no matter how you look at it you have hyundai saloon styling. its the family mans car on steroids.

for me it screams barry boy.

i prefer the refinement of the Z, more style, better credentials.

mind you if i ever took up rallying, the first thing i would get is an evo :blush:

All the lads on the MR2ROC spent loads of time fettling and checking their system.

the only unit that didn't require this was the TTE system as this was the only one authorised by toyota and covered under the same warranty.

Tell me about it :angry:

And we still had to modify the TTE kit due to the location of the coolant return pipe from the turbo as they'd put it in a really daft place, so even millions of pounds of R&D budget doesn't guarantee you'll get a 100% quality product in the end.

Given that I reckon you could do an LS3 swap for a solid 430bhp N/A and with that soundtrack for about £12K, that's certainly where my money will be heading in the future as you'd far more reliability over any FI option. Granted you'll have different teething issues, but still.

All the lads on the MR2ROC spent loads of time fettling and checking their system.

And we still had to modify the TTE kit due to the location of the coolant return pipe from the turbo as they'd put it in a really daft place, so even millions of pounds of R&D budget doesn't guarantee you'll get a 100% quality product in the end.

Given that I reckon you could do an LS3 swap for a solid 430bhp N/A and with that soundtrack for about £12K, that's certainly where my money will be heading in the future as you'd far more reliability over any FI option. Granted you'll have different teething issues, but still.

Whats the cheapest kind of engine swap could you do with a 350z to get more N/A hp and reliable, Im guessing a Nissan engine for ease with similar wiring.. but then and skyline engines are turbo not NA arnt they

Whats the cheapest kind of engine swap could you do with a 350z to get more N/A hp and reliable, Im guessing a Nissan engine for ease with similar wiring.. but then and skyline engines are turbo not NA arnt they

RB26 has been done ;) Theres a video of it on youtube somewhere. Its a bit quick :teeth:

RB26 has been done ;) Theres a video of it on youtube somewhere. Its a bit quick :teeth:

Damn didnt noah from the other site do one as well in the states B)

Wonder how much something like that costs and what problems may be encountered.