WoooHoooo Part 1 of my I.C.E Complete (now fitted)

nurrish

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so how do you go about ordering one of these then.

i have been contemplating my own project but this seems better. is the prototype complete now? are you taking orders yet? is the price still £400.

what is the spec of the final item? (i have been reading but lots of posts and add ins has left me confused of what your little gizmo does) :teeth:

sorry forgot to add on,

does this have any external USB cables fitted as it would be good to be able to plug something like an external harddrive in. cos i could save all movies and music to it. but bring it in to update content without having to remove the unit.

basically i'm looking for

satnav

video

music

possibly reverse camera

optional handsfree bluetooth (already have the nissan fit)

ipod/mp3 connection

actually, i'm a dab hand at soldering,

but i have no idea where to start,

did you take pics as you went,

could you compile a list of parts (where to get them)

and what needs to be soldered

along with possibly a software download and instructions

would be happy to pay a contribution for the service ;)

would this work with the flip style cubby, or do i need to swap to a push back style, and if so would this other cubby fit in my slot?

would this windows CE take a different user interface so you could have different screen layouts like centrafuse etc

Found this off an old forum (The carpc is still in the planning stage, I am about 50% done in writing my own software called freeice.. your welcome to have a look at it..

http://www.freedrive.co.uk/freecar/FreeICE%200.8.zip )

if you plugged a usb hub into the single usb slot, this would open it up for other devices.

do you reckon it would taken an OBDII reader so you could also run engine diagnostic through it, monitor things like revs, engine temp etc, as i've seen it on carputers (i don't really need it, but those running turbos etc might find it useful)

so many questions i'm sorry.

just been reading your thread again, this does look hard work. really do hope your up for making these to sell to members, its just what i'm lookking for.

would this windows CE take a different user interface so you could have different screen layouts like centrafuse etc

I'm pretty sure that you can't run centrafuse on windows CE, as it relies on windows media features only present in XP/Vista. It is also fairly demanding of CPU/RAM compared to the freeice thing..

• 2 months later...

Hello

Just got one of these and am about to take it apart, i have a few questions though

1: Does anyone have IGO8 for download?

2: how do you connect the iphone to this unit

3: is it quite straight forward to extend the power switch

Cheers in advance

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey,

Wondering if the Panda 8080 allows mp3/video etc to run from usb pens as i noticed in the pic on ebay it has a usb port.. thinking it'd be simpler to have music on a usb pen and run it that way rather than my ipod. Is the music/video player inbuilt any good?

Hey, thanks, looking to buying a Z, so seeing what kind of entertainment can be installed in the nicest way.

Another query about this - the video line in, does it also accept sound, was thinking of hooking up a DVD player with that

• 1 month later...

just to confirm about the video input.

The cable is a 3.5mm jack to a RCA (red white yellow cable.)

In order to get a video input you need to solder the cable directly to the board due to space arrangements. i have not connecting up sound as it would use the onboard speaker, eventually I will do the Bose Mod to run an AUX in but now there its just a vid input, which is fine for adding a reverse cam or the like.

So how did I do it ....

Pictures always speaker 1000 words so here goes...

Videoin.jpg

I stripped the video in wire so it ran just a ground and the yellow cable, soldered directly onto the PCB it works a treat. If you did want sound through the interal 1" speaker you would have to solder the other cables into the other solder blobs not mentioned.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, im going to be doing myself one of these as i fancy a bit of a project.

Can Nurrish in particular or anyone else please help with a bit of confusion?

I have searched ebay and have found two suitable units from what i can tell Nurrish your using the latter of the two listed below as the software and display resolution are the same. Did the come with the igo software installed or did you "hack" them?

GPS 1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-GPS-SAT-NAV-Rea ... 7C294%3A50

GPS 2

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-7-HD-Digital- ... 7C294%3A50

Any help would be greatly appreciated. But the second unit seems to have a nicer GUI no?

Hi,

I am indeed using the second unit you have listed. However it is not a straight forward job. There is alot of work that needs to be done on the system board of the unit. Like relocating ports and extending the gps. As it, is it doesn't fit and you need to totally dismantle it. I spend roughly 5 - 6 hours on each unit and thats having done many of these. But if you are confident on taking on the task then i wish you the best of luck :thumbs: It does come with igo 8 on an 2gb sd card

Cheers for the reply mate, I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to do this myself. I'd buy one of your ready made ones but I like doing projects like this especially as it is for the car and looks so good.

I'd like to add a link to my headunit to use the gps as a storage device/media centre and change the ui a little but other than that I'm going to be doing the same as everyone else.

I'm sure I'll be posting more questions when the unit arrives and is in bits though! :p

nath

Will it be possible to get an audio out from the unit or will it just be via the speaker?

I was thinking of removing the speaker and wiring it into the bose unit doing the aux in mod. Not sure how good the sound quality will be but surely better than the cheapo speaker.

Nathan