WoooHoooo Part 1 of my I.C.E Complete (now fitted)

nurrish

Yeah, your right (which is why I can't make my mind up what to do) :-) lol

It is a Bose unit I have yes, however I was told by Clarion today that the UK cars have a black stereo and the Jap ones Gun Mental Grey. Is it a UK stereo or Jap one you have spare buddy?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nurrish,

My unit arrived from China yesterday, so I have the task of sorting it out soon in the car.

Any guidance on things to watch out for ?

I have tomtom running on it now, so thats a good start. Just got to pull the car apart to get it up and running. Ideally want to have it auto-power with the ignition, rather than using the cigarette power.

Any guidance appreciated.

Simon

Yeah, your right (which is why I can't make my mind up what to do) :-) lol

It is a Bose unit I have yes, however I was told by Clarion today that the UK cars have a black stereo and the Jap ones Gun Mental Grey. Is it a UK stereo or Jap one you have spare buddy?

I have a uk one not sure if they are interchangeable with jap cars though

Nurrish

I bought the h587 (panda 8080) model.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewima ... h58702.JPG

I think it's the same one as you.

Is there any reason I couldn't go something simple like steal a power feed from the head unit ( tap off from that ) to get my 12V supply (which would also be switched with the ingition ? )

Not a car / electronics guy at all so please tell me if that is a major no-no.

Cheers

Simon

Nurrish

I bought the h587 (panda 8080) model.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewima ... h58702.JPG

I think it's the same one as you.

Is there any reason I couldn't go something simple like steal a power feed from the head unit ( tap off from that ) to get my 12V supply (which would also be switched with the ingition ? )

Not a car / electronics guy at all so please tell me if that is a major no-no.

Cheers

Simon

Yeah thats the one.

Thats what i did with the power but it doesn't auto come on you still need to press the button.

Word of warning.....Space is very tight behind the cubby hole...You will need to position the board at an exact angle otherwise when you install it the sd card will be popped out...or what i should of done is take out the spring in the card holder.

Also you will need to solder the power directly onto the board as the plug sticks out too much.

Did you have any trouble getting the unit apart ?

I've got the unit open and the touchscreen disconnected (assumed you wired in that connector on the backlight power to make things easier - mine is hard wired )

But how did you get the board out of the back of the case.

Mine appears to be glued to the back case.

I can see a shielding plate on the back of the board which is now a little bent through my prying.

Simon

Did you leave the batteries attached ?

I'm considering dropping them off, but was wondering if there would be issues following the short power loss during the starting of the car ?

The batteries would buffer that problem, but If they don't need to be there, that's less current draw for the head unit connector.

Simon

Id recommend leaving the batteries on there......As its good for it to go into hibernation so when you get back into your car it wakes up and is pretty much ready to go. Instead of cold booting and waiting for it to boot and for it then to acquire satellites

I installed one of these during the week and I'd second leaving the batteries on. Also - I don't think it's worth trying to rig up an auto power on as you won't want it on all the time and with a press of the power button it comes up in a second from hibernation.

I'm finishing mine off today - a few extra bits I added:

- Doing the Ipod tape deck hack to get a line in for my bose headunit. I then soldered in the component output of my ipod to the AV-in so I can now watch films on the display. They come up automatically if you turn on the auto reverse camara feature.

- Put in a cigarette lighter splitter that includes a usb socket so that my ipod is charged whilst it's connected.

- bought an external GPS aerial as I couldn't get a great satellite signal.

- Changed a few files with the Igo 8 sat nav software so that it shows a nissan logo at startup and then a 350z background when you use it.

- changed my cubby hole to a retracting type but got one that was the wrong colour (silver) and set on changing the front trim over from my old one. This is not easy and was a really stupid idea.

Will get some pics up soon.

A word of warning - there ends up being quite a lot of soldering - if your rubbish at it like me then get on the internet and read how your meant to do it as it REALLY helps.

Finally - thanks nurrish for doing the initial hard work on this. Your pics were invaluable. I'm very pleased with the results.

I never really considered the suspended machine as a viable option - just assumed that the battery wouldn't last long enough when the ignition was off to survive any extended periods of time.

The reason I was looking at the auto-on option was I was planning on fitting a reverse camera to mine as well and didn't want to have to remember to power it up early to use the parking camera. Just wanted it to be automatic. Using the auto-reverse option, it would have been perfect.

However, if suspend lasts long enough, I can go with that and a little button or two on the cover in the cubby hole.

What did you guys do about the reset button & power switch ?

In terms of soldering, I think my list of things is as follows :

Power feed in - Needs to be hard-wired as connector too awkward/big.

LCD Power cable - split and new connectors added for convenience ?

GPS received - extended cable for better placement ?

Composite In - Extended socket for Reverse camera / other source.

I don't think I'll do that well with the reset without destroying the dash.

Plus

USB Cable extension ? - Possible option for in-dash updates via laptop.

Did you do anything with the MIC for the bluetooth / handsfree ?

Anything else that you think I've missed off.

Also, for a novice, how long does it take to get the cubby out ?

Cheers

Simon

PS - Second the thanks for Nurrish, if I didn't see the original posting on mp3car, I wouldn't have even started.

- Changed a few files with the Igo 8 sat nav software so that it shows a nissan logo at startup and then a 350z background when you use it.

Would it be possible to steal those files from you? I currently run a CarPC with Centrafuse and Igo embedded in that, would be good to have the Nissan and Zed logos :thumbs:

Nurrish / Coup.

I'm getting ready to sort mine out now and just wanted to know what you guys did woth the following:

Video input - checked continuity and central pin on connector was ground ( which I assume I need to hardwire to what looked like the leg on the opposite side to most of the other connector points on the 4 pole socket ) as well as ground to the outer most pole. Due to the space and the other surface mount components, I was going to solder to the top exposed connector. ( I assume no space to actually plug in the 4 pole plug )

Power - Wire directly from un-regulated source with 2A inline fuse. ( Took the cigarette adapter apart and it has no regulation circuit in it )

Toggle Switch (Push to Make) soldered across existing switch and extended onto the dash area somewhere. (given up with any attempt to work out auto-on following your comments )

Not interested in Audio In - Video feed for reverse camera I have on order from USA.

Speaker - Simple extension cable as per your pictures.

GPS Extension - Can I just solder a single core wire in place of the short little Grey one to improve the positioning ? Can't work out if I need something special or a multi-core cable from your pictures.

I managed to destroy my IGO somehow - just stopped working after the power died / short somewhere. Flash card fine, but message can't find navigation software. It's pointing at the binary fine and reads the card, so assume something got scrambled during powerdown. I've blanked the flash card and installed TOMTOM instead. Appears to work nicely.

Cheers

Simon

Nurrish / Coup.

I'm getting ready to sort mine out now and just wanted to know what you guys did woth the following:

Video input - checked continuity and central pin on connector was ground ( which I assume I need to hardwire to what looked like the leg on the opposite side to most of the other connector points on the 4 pole socket ) as well as ground to the outer most pole. Due to the space and the other surface mount components, I was going to solder to the top exposed connector. ( I assume no space to actually plug in the 4 pole plug )

Power - Wire directly from un-regulated source with 2A inline fuse. ( Took the cigarette adapter apart and it has no regulation circuit in it )

Toggle Switch (Push to Make) soldered across existing switch and extended onto the dash area somewhere. (given up with any attempt to work out auto-on following your comments )

Not interested in Audio In - Video feed for reverse camera I have on order from USA.

Speaker - Simple extension cable as per your pictures.

GPS Extension - Can I just solder a single core wire in place of the short little Grey one to improve the positioning ? Can't work out if I need something special or a multi-core cable from your pictures.

I managed to destroy my IGO somehow - just stopped working after the power died / short somewhere. Flash card fine, but message can't find navigation software. It's pointing at the binary fine and reads the card, so assume something got scrambled during powerdown. I've blanked the flash card and installed TOMTOM instead. Appears to work nicely.

Cheers

Simon

Hey,

The video input got me aswell!! it was a tricky one!! i did first solder wires to the top of the connector and then onto the jack but that did not work. So what i did was take off the connector from the board and extend it with wires so it can be placed in a better location. Then you simply plug in the connector.

as for extending the gps....you will need 2 core cable. But to behonest i dont think you would need too as i get a good reception from it being stuck inside.

As for the switch look at what i did its very discrete and easily accessible

and lastly good luck too you

:teeth:

Nurrish,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have now got everything wired up ready for insertion into the car.

The Video is wired onto the connector ( It was the bottom two connector points for the ground and video feed - tested and working ). I would have preferred to remove the socket, but didn't like getting my soldering iron in near the surface mounted bits for longer than necessary.

GPS - Not extended as suggested - just mounted it perpendicular to the back of the circuit board, so it still faces the sky. Fingers crossed its okay.

Push to make switch (mini - only rated to 0.5A ) but should be perfectly fine. Only used briefly. I'll be mounting it where you did I think.

Thanks again for the feedback! and I'll let you know if all works out and the car doesn't burst into flame !!!!

Simon

Chris`I - as requested these are the files however mine are in bmp format which can't be posted up so if you want those pm me your email

3037384593_0a13c64556_o.jpg

3037384685_afa2214c1f_o.jpg

350srl - if you have any probs with gps signal like I had (probably from my second rate workmanship) one of these sorts it out a treat for a tenner - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... &U=strat15

Here's a few pics of my install -

line in for ipod

3038230838_7c92d2619b_b.jpg

Dubious use of the top of a herb pot to make a speaker enclosure to improve volume and quality of GPS's speaker

3037393867_3f62c8efc4_b.jpg

loading screen

3038222850_5739ecbaed_b.jpg

finished install

3038224432_02a9416a6f_b.jpg

ipod video feed

3038223398_5c42535fa8_b.jpg

a lot of gaffer tape

3038222570_f61e75d884_b.jpg

background (sorry it's a bit blurry)

3037391789_1c3e57ac8e_b.jpg

Chris`I - as requested these are the files however mine are in bmp format which can't be posted up so if you want those pm me your email

3037384593_0a13c64556_o.jpg

3037384685_afa2214c1f_o.jpg

350srl - if you have any probs with gps signal like I had (probably from my second rate workmanship) one of these sorts it out a treat for a tenner - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... &U=strat15

Here's a few pics of my install -

line in for ipod

3038230838_7c92d2619b_b.jpg

Dubious use of the top of a herb pot to make a speaker enclosure to improve volume and quality of GPS's speaker

3037393867_3f62c8efc4_b.jpg

loading screen

3038222850_5739ecbaed_b.jpg

finished install

3038224432_02a9416a6f_b.jpg

ipod video feed

3038223398_5c42535fa8_b.jpg

a lot of gaffer tape

3038222570_f61e75d884_b.jpg

background (sorry it's a bit blurry)

3037391789_1c3e57ac8e_b.jpg

Looks superb mate!!!!!

Did you have trouble with the sd card popping out when putting the center console back into your car???

yes - i did a check before I screwed it all back down to make sure it hadn't popped out and I'm not planning on taking it out again too often....

Although - have you had any trouble with electrical whine from your stereo whilst the satnav is charging. I get it and it is either the cigarette lighter power cable or the unit itself. It has an effect on all the source channels on my bose headunit. It's not too bad but annoying once you notice it. It completely goes as soon as you disconnect the power cable and let it run from batteries.

I might have to investigate some shielding...

Chris 'I - Whilst I remember - for the Igo 8 files you need to edit the zip files 'data' and 'branding' using winrar to replace the loading.bmp file and add your files to the background folder within 'data' for the wallpaper for your given resolution. You can add as many as you like.

You can't simply extract and rezip the files for some reason.

I used Paintshop for resizing etc so you can use any image you like aslong as its changed to .bmp and the right resolution.

Chris 'I - Whilst I remember - for the Igo 8 files you need to edit the zip files 'data' and 'branding' using winrar to replace the loading.bmp file and add your files to the background folder within 'data' for the wallpaper for your given resolution. You can add as many as you like.

You can't simply extract and rezip the files for some reason.

I used Paintshop for resizing etc so you can use any image you like aslong as its changed to .bmp and the right resolution.

Cool - cheers :thumbs:

Coup - Did you use the cigarette lighter socket in the front of the car or hardwire somewhere ?

I've an 03 Z, which I don't think has the front power socket.

I was planning on trying to tap either the NAVI feeds or the head unit itself.

Not actually pulled the car apart yet - lots of planning as my new toy is not something I want to break and I'm no auto-electrician.

Simon