How do you program the key fob to the car?

mec

Brilliant ! My fob battery died the other day. Bought a new battery but it still didnt work. So a quick search on the 350z site reveals the re-program guide. Worked first time ! Just make sure you take the (now registered) key out and insert your spare and then hold the unlock button on that while then presing lock 3 times. Both keys are now registered to the car :)

Cheers 350z-uk!!!

• 6 months later...

Still a touch confused (dispite reading this a few times) as to when you are supposed to start using the NEW key in this process.

Am I right in thinking that it is the new key used all the way through the process (after the origional key is used to unlock the car obviously)?

Also, am I right in thinking that a fob with a previous code can be used without problem (as one of the steps in this guide states that previous coding is removed)?

This is with regard to a 55 plate uk car btw.

Just don't want to spend out on a key that won't work or worse still end up blanking my existing transponder!

• 1 month later...
Still a touch confused (dispite reading this a few times) as to when you are supposed to start using the NEW key in this process.

Am I right in thinking that it is the new key used all the way through the process (after the origional key is used to unlock the car obviously)?

Also, am I right in thinking that a fob with a previous code can be used without problem (as one of the steps in this guide states that previous coding is removed)?

Just don't want to spend out on a key that won't work or worse still end up blanking my existing transponder!

Same here :wacko: I have got a spare key cut and bought a Key fob off ebay. Its got SIEMENS VDO 5WK4 876 /818433 MHz on the back of both the original and the new Key fob so i am hopefull that it can be recoded. But i am a little confused. Do you have to reprogramme the old orignal Key fob or just the new Key fob. Like "kazman" said i dont want to wipe the original key fob.

Hopefully an answer will appear in the near future! Could you provide a link to the key you bought? Sounds like yours is the right type and I would like to follow in your footsteps!

I bought it from a private seller on ebay. I emailed and asked them what it said on the back of the fob so that they matched my fob.

• 6 months later...
whats the chances of doing this, and the keyfob losing sync for both? so that none work, need to give this a try, but worried if i mess it up somehow I'll get stuck with 2 dud keyfobs and be stranded on my drive lol

I did exactly that when I tried to re-program my new fob ... It was pretty scary stuff :scare:

Luckily I have a friend who works for an automotive locksmith company who managed to get me up and running again ... not sure what he did though ..

But he did say .. it's not really possible to completely wipe the code off the keys ... it just needs to be re-assigned ... :wacko:

whats the chances of doing this, and the keyfob losing sync for both? so that none work, need to give this a try, but worried if i mess it up somehow I'll get stuck with 2 dud keyfobs and be stranded on my drive lol

I did exactly that when I tried to re-program my new fob ... It was pretty scary stuff :scare:

Me too! I locked myself in the car without a working key and with the door handle disabled! Then I locked myself out without a working key! :scare:

Luckily putting the original key through the registration process (with the alarm going off in my ear) got it working. I won't be trying that again... Serious brown trousers moment :doh:

• 8 months later...

I need to replace a lost key for my 57 plate UK Zed and was just going to buy a replacement off eBay the same as others have done. However, I can't seem to find an answer to the question asked by kazman, do you need to go through the process with both the original working key and the new one or just the new one?

Anyone work it out?

I need to replace a lost key for my 57 plate UK Zed and was just going to buy a replacement off eBay the same as others have done. However, I can't seem to find an answer to the question asked by kazman, do you need to go through the process with both the original working key and the new one or just the new one?

Anyone work it out?

I tried programming a new key for my car. Doesnt work. It seems the key has to be an original key for your car before it can be reprogrammed. Only option I have found so far is to get the dealer to programme the non original it for you. Not cheap mind

• 3 months later...

Anyone work it out?

anyone done this before I replace the battery on my spare key tommorow so I've got two? Don't fancy wiping the only one I've got!

Just tried that guide and it goes in and out of registration mode but the spare key doesn't get coded?think mine is an import if that makes a difference? :shrug: does all the right things for entering and leaving registration mode though according to that guide just doesnt code the key? Tried it a few times with spare and proper key in ignition? new battery as well???

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I have just brought a JDM 03 350 and was told when I got it I just needed to get a key cut. Turns out that's wrong........

I've have a key cut with a genuine fob but I have a toad alarm.

How can I get this coded!!!!!!!

Thanks Joe

Hi all,

I have just brought a JDM 03 350 and was told when I got it I just needed to get a key cut. Turns out that's wrong........

I've have a key cut with a genuine fob but I have a toad alarm.

How can I get this coded!!!!!!!

Thanks Joe

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I have been having a nightmare with this problem - key fob went dead so replaced the battery which didn't work...

Every time i unlock my car (with the key) the alarm goes off and I am pretty sure my neighbours hate me now.

Followed the guide to register the fob, the process seemed to go ok, the lights signaled etc. both times, but when I took the key out, it wouldn't work!

Running out of ideas here and taking it to a dealer is a last resort because I know they are just going to want to flog me a new key which will be pricey :-(

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks

Jay

• 4 months later...

I've got a UK 05 plate and my key stopped working at the weekend to lock unlock the car. I can lock my car with the key and this activates alarm and imobi, then unlocking the car with key and opening door sets off the alarm. Thankfully if I turn ignition on alarm goes off and imobi too. I have had a new battery put in the keyfob, I take it I just need to activate and reg register the keyfob's operation? Jeff

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Just changed the battery CR2016 in one of my key fobs. ( UK stock 350z ragtop, 07 plate )

Managed to rinse the settings from BOTH by not following the instructions in post #7 TO THE LETTER! ðŸ´

BUT If you do manage to render both key fobs useless, don't panic!

Things I had missed...🤔

Car MUST be unlocked either with a functioning key fob or by switching the ignition on to defeat the alarm via onboard transponder using the key fob you need to program. Then leave that key in the ignition.

BOTH doors must be unlocked, either by blipping the unlock button twice or reaching over and unlocking the passenger side manually.

Then do the ignition switch LOCK to ON and back trick six times in ten seconds - the ignition will be OFF at the end of the sequence.

Leave the key in the ignition, the indicators WILL flash twice. If they don't you aren't in Register Mode. Take the key out, lock and unlock the car, set the alarm off, turn on the ignition, unlock the passenger door.

Start again. Don't despair.

After the indicators have flashed twice ( or you hear the relay click twice if it's daylight ) press AND HOLD the UNLOCK button on the keyfob, press and release the LOCK button three times THEN ( and ONLY then ) release the UNLOCK button.

It doesn't always work first time!

If you DON'T see/hear the indicators flash once, simply start again from press and hold, there's no need to go right back to square one.

When you eventually DO see the single flash, you've programmed your key fob 😀

You have also UNPROGRAMMED any other keyfob you might have...👿

REMOVE the key you have just programmed from the ignition - DO NOT switch the ignition on or move the key from the O/LOCK position.

Put your next key into the ignition, DO NOT turn the ignition on ( as that would restart the registration process and unregister the keyfob you've just registered! ) simply do the HOLD/PRESS X 3/RELEASE routine as often as you need to to see the single flash that confirms that your second keyfob has been accepted.

THEN switch the ignition on with the last key you programmed.

You WILL see two indicator flashes if you have succeeded.

If you don't, or all the keys don't work when you try them, then it's back to the top of the page 😕

Took me about five goes to get the process right!

Edited by Martyn27uk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...