BMW123d v 350z

M13KYF

That was pretty cool!

Diesels really are coming on though, was following a passat 2.0 tdi the other day and when he hoofed it i really had to try hard to keep up!

Also a few months ago my boss had a bmw 330 that was in for service and the courtesy car they game him was a 335d. Was rapid.. faster than the Zed id say (well it felt it) :headhurt:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running a Golf GT TDi 150 (try saying that when you're p*ssed!) at the mo, and it's very quick, I've surprised quite a few people who've been left wondering why they're watching a Golf pull away puffing black smoke ;)

The Golf was a temporary car bought a while we saved for our wedding, and I'm not keen on being a tennapenny Golf driver but really, the engine is superb.

In fact when I drove the Z I was a bit underwhelmed - granted it was my first drive and I hadn't quite clicked with it, after all It's clear that the Z is one the best and quickest drives in my price range.

My Golf's 0-60 in a lengthy 8 secs is obviously a lot slower but I think the turbo and mid range torque makes it 'feel' faster.

The big diesel negatives are the engine note (have you heard the 'silent' diesel Seat Touring Cars?) and the oily smelly filling station experience.

In short, I'm a diesel convert but still can't wait to get into a Z :)

Leeroy.

My Golf's 0-60 in a lengthy 8 secs is obviously a lot slower but I think the turbo and mid range torque makes it 'feel' faster.

I think that comment hit the nail on the head - its why lots of people 'enjoy the newer turboed cars because there is a much bigger feeling when you drive them hard.

In the 350z its smoother so you don't think your going as fast.

I think that comment hit the nail on the head - its why lots of people 'enjoy the newer turboed cars because there is a much bigger feeling when you drive them hard.

In the 350z its smoother so you don't think your going as fast.

I know what your saying, comes in a big dollop of power... everything feels very rushed and then disappears rather quickly. An old work colleague had a golf TDI and chipped with one of those ODBII plug in's. Had way too much torque in such a tight power band, the stock wheels just couldn't handle it.

I'm really impressed with the new BMW's. My friend sells them and I went out with her in her new 3 series diesel the other day, I was really impressed with it and the fuel economy is very good as well.

I'm really impressed with the new BMW's. My friend sells them and I went out with her in her new 3 series diesel the other day, I was really impressed with it and the fuel economy is very good as well.

Just be aware that the fuel economy quoted doesn't tend to be realised in BMW's due to the amount of time sat at side roads with no-one wanting to let you out. ;)

good point - although this doesn't happen as much when you're female! :)

True, but them females are normally driving Mini's like the roads are some sort of huge Next sale around here. Avoidance is recommended! :D

When I first drove the Z I was a bit dissapointed in as much as I could hear the motor scream and the speedo rush up pretty quick but it doesnt 'feel' that fast although it definately aint bad.

I have a 2.2 TDCI Mondeo ST which is chipped, 190BHP and 400ftlb torque and it shifts no doubt, especially in the midrange.

Truth is tho although it feels quick it sounds like a tractor and there is no fun in that... Diesel is the fuel of satan... Stinky rattly crap..

Cant wait for the 1st to get my lovely sounding, rapid and beautifull Z that sounds like a proper car not a bloody icecream van.... hahahaha

Tick tock rattle rattle :teeth:

• 3 years later...
i bought a brand new bmw 123d m sport in nov 2009. it was a 3 door hatch back in white. nice driving position but thats about it!

Probably the biggest waste of my money ever. only kept it for 4 months and done 2000 miles.

New they seem silly money and depreciate rapidly. Id be looking at one a few years old and probably the coupe. Are they that bad? Twin turbo, 0-60 in less than 7 seconds and 60mpg all sound good to me.

I maybe weird, but i dont mind diesels.

i bought a brand new bmw 123d m sport in nov 2009. it was a 3 door hatch back in white. nice driving position but thats about it!

Probably the biggest waste of my money ever. only kept it for 4 months and done 2000 miles.

New they seem silly money and depreciate rapidly. Id be looking at one a few years old and probably the coupe. Are they that bad? Twin turbo, 0-60 in less than 7 seconds and 60mpg all sound good to me.

Best I could manage was 38 mpg.I took it back to bmw and they said the low mpg was due to it being brand new and winter time. They told me I would get better mpg when the car had some milage on it :wacko:

Also i've never damaged a clutch in the 20 years i've been driving, but I had to get clutch replaced at 1500 miles as it had started shuddering when pulling away in 1st gear. I burn't clutch out trying to get my dog home from the vets after an operation after the really bad snow fall in dec 2009.

never get 60mpg. Injector, pump, DMF, clutch and DPF failures are common. Higher milers need turbo's and seals and all that usually.

Cheers - certainly doesnt sound good at all. Maybe i`ll scratch that off my list.

They don't happen to everyone though. You have to be doing a lot of miles to make a diesel make sense. So even with a car that *might* cost you good money to fix as long as your doing enough miles to offset that cost your ok.

Cheers - certainly doesnt sound good at all. Maybe i`ll scratch that off my list.

They don't happen to everyone though. You have to be doing a lot of miles to make a diesel make sense. So even with a car that *might* cost you good money to fix as long as your doing enough miles to offset that cost your ok.

Yeah definately. I do about 25k a year atm (down from 40k a year a few years back), so for me last time I worked the numbers out diesel would save me a good few quid. Last 2 diesels ive had i did 80k on each of them with no major problems at all save normal wear / tear. The engines still ran perfect, one of them was at 165k miles on the original clutch / turbo etc.