What MPG???

AndySpak

I'm just about to set off on a 180 journey from Warrington to Hatfield. Mostly this will mean motorway driving on the M6, M6 Toll, M6 again and M1 (about 170 miles of it). I'm going to try and stick to 70 mph (with the use of cruise) and see what my average mpg will be...

What do you reckon?

Answer will come tomorrow.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 33 on the wales run average .Well thats what the thing on the dash said.

:scare::scare:

Did you not do the evo triangle? :surrender:

I have no idea I think so :blush: I did not know where I was and ended up lead car at the roadworks before we turned left I actually think I may have held a few up,but no one seemed to want to go by, then we caught the main pack up again.When I got home I flicked the mpg trip thing and it said avg 33mpg lol I had the aircon on too :)

OK, I've just arrived at my hotel and the stats are....

• [*:14hwpbah]Distance Travelled - 177.1 miles
    [*:14hwpbah]Average Speed - 63mph
    [*:14hwpbah]Time Taken - 2hrs 41mins
    [*:14hwpbah]Consumption - 34.2mpg

I put the cruise on for the 160-ish miles I was on the motorways and sat at exactly 70mph, according to my TomTom. I was showing 73mph on the pod readout.

Other than when a van drifted in to my lane just as I was overtaking it and I had to slam on the brakes, I didn't touch the pedals at all for the 2hours 20minutes I was on the motorway.

I didn't have my aircon on and I had my temperature setting to cold but I did have the fans on low all the time. Obviously my headlights were on for the duration.

Not too bad I'd say but its terribly boring driving at 70mph :blush:

:scare: 177.1 miles at a constant 70 in a ZED :yawn:

Even when I have the cruise on on motorways I do like to see if the button will accelerate the car as quick as something that might have overtaken me - that is one thing I have noticed with the 06/296 engine it does respond more keenly over the rev range to the 'button' compared to my previous 04/276 car which I can recall was better in terms of using the overall torque charcateristics of that engine and seemed to work better in decelerating the car. But I guess these fly-by-wire systems will vary slightly in each car :thumbs:

And oh yes, for those who think cruise control is a waste - they are very handy with the increasing number of 'specs' around - made sections of the M25 and M42 on the trip up to Wales more bearable and hopefully points free ;)

IanS - I reset the mpg computer on my driveway and took the reading after I'd parked up. So it included the short journey from my house to the M62 and the 15 mile journey from J10 of the M1 to Harfield (hence avoiding all the roadworks...)

I don't think I could do it again. It took ages to get there and the roads were so quiet. Cruising at 100 smiles per hour would have been easy last night. I was glad that I could get back this afternoon without having to stop to fill up mind :thumbs: