Attempting to save a 2003 unmodified 350z

chinny

Hi,its been a while since i have been on the forum but would like to share an attempt i am making to resurrect my "Z" that i have owned since 2013 with about 95k on the clock and still starts on the button and runs perfectly fine,interior is still as good as it was when purchased and still has the original Bose audio(still functional)As i am an old fogey wifey wants it to go to the local scrapyard cos its yet another project that never gets completed.F**k right off Wifey ,your loft conversion can wait😝.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 4

Progress so far

Nearly chucked the towel in after i scraped 1/2 inch of mud off and found this,passenger side rear sill/inner arch was shot as was the side skirt tab.016.JPG.0e147845dd67e5060c5b109d365265c8.JPG  As it was the only part of the car that needed welding(after 3 hours of wire brushing the rest of the underside )i used the "gash" to blast the inner sill with Aquaseal at 90psi 027.JPG.0794383bf522ad6c6197aa831020595f.JPGbefore welding it up and welding a new tab on,not pretty i know but its completley rot free and seam sealed and shutzed. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

Thanks for the encouragement ShortPaul even though it is all my own doing as i daily drove the car on and off for 10 years without really paying any attention to the underside of the car with regards to an occasional jetwashing the winter salt/mud off.  

On 20/08/2022 at 09:51, rodgeevans said:

Good luck, I'm in the process of resurrecting mine too, it is now back on the road at least, but still a long list of jobs/mods to be done

Evening Mr Rodgeevans,just curious to know if yours is an earlier model than the 04 plate suggests(being an import)and how are the rear arches holding up ?

45 minutes ago, chinny said:

Evening Mr Rodgeevans,just curious to know if yours is an earlier model than the 04 plate suggests(being an import)and how are the rear arches holding up ?

Rear arches are not looking too good and are going to need some attention, that and new bumper are next on my list, unfortunately I don't have a nice big workshop like you to do the work in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Progress

As i had to use a new front wing for the repair panel it was a right barsteward to get it to the right shape and keep the body line correct for the rear bumper to line up(fingers crossed)

002.JPG.6996c49016b8b2659f013e4027f9ba76.JPG

Offside is needing some attention for the low spots and then should be good to go.

005.JPG.fd7222282b1801366de7425783285fa2.JPG

2 new butchered front wings for the inner and outer repair panels(sorry ay i). 

001.JPG.87d71b6b93e98469dd778bc522d86699.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

After muchas wire wheeling i gave it a coat of Zinc primer and blasted it with a 50/50 mix of Tetra shutz and Waxoyl.

I also filled all the box sections/chassis rails and inner sills with cavity wax.(One job i hope never to do again)😝

DSCN3775.JPG

DSCN3784.JPG

• Like 1