Smoked

Dicky

Had a little dice with a BMW 330d who intentionally cut me up on the entry to a round about. I don’t often get involved but this prat really bugged me. I waited until we exited the round about and was intending to humiliate him when he started his run.

Then disaster. First I hit the rev limiter TWICE as I change up :rant: . Then I decided the B road we were on although straight had lots of holes and bumps so I didn’t gun after him and risk damage to the car or worse :scare: .

There was a cross roads further up anyway so I pulled up behind him again and having made the turn he did away again. This time I missed the gear when changing into 2nd :wacko: and again fell back as the road was just as bad. He just gunned it all the way and left me for dead.

I know it stupid to race and you feel lousy when your out of the car if youve been sucked in, but it doesn’t half hurt a lot more to get smoked.

He sounds like he owned you dude :lol:

I was waiting at lights yesterday, and an S5 sat in the right turn only lane next to me, obviously hoping to speed ahead and cut me up with his awesome engine. He missed the lights and I casually drove off, much to his annoyance as he had a face like a slapped a**e when he undertook me later on to prove his manliness. To make it worse I was in a 1.8 Vectra :lol:

0-whatever times are pretty irrelevant unless you're on the drag strip. In-gear acceleration and torque is what counts after you've started moving, and that's why the 330D is a fantastic cruising car. A well-driven Zed should happily keep up with it all day long, but if you get things wrong then the Beemer is going to walk away.

330D 0-62 is 7.9 secs and 0-100 is 18.9 secs 184bhp

zed 0-62 is 5.8 secs and 0-100 is 13.5 secs 296bhp

according to evo and the Beamer is heavier!

335d is 6.1 according to the BMW site:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspe ... 3D,00.html

0.2 secs is nothing...........the zed may beat it slightly over certain distances but your never gonna take chunks out of one or actually overtake one if he is giving it some too......

330d is all about in gear times (especially 4th/5th) which are almost the same as the M3!!

BMW diesel engines are the quietest, almost sound like petrols!! Iv got an E46 330d & its just like driving a petrol apart from shedloads of extra torque :)

330d is all about in gear times (especially 4th/5th) which are almost the same as the M3!!

BMW diesel engines are the quietest, almost sound like petrols!! Iv got an E46 330d & its just like driving a petrol apart from shedloads of extra torque :)

Im with you - bmw's offer something different. I've said in another thread before that i thought my 328Ci had more go in 5th than my Z does. If one got the jump on you you'd struggle to catch it.

However, i went up against a new shape 325 saloon last week through a few sets of traffic lights and it had nothing on the z at all - so the guy gave me a nice '5 knuckle shuffle sign'. ;)

I have a 530D e60(new shape) 0-60 is 6.8 but as others have said when i am doing 40mph ish the torque is massive and you really have to have loads more power to get past, and this thing moves believe me :scare:.

I have only had my Z for 2 days so i cannot comment on side by side performance, not 0-60 times thats different, but the Z is far more exciting to drive :yahoo:

Guest prescience

I fairly regularly see off 330ds in the wife's "slightly modified" Pug GTi-6 (which does rev to 8k) - so you just weren't trying :p

330d and 335d can be chipped by DMS for £900 and both would leave a Zed from 20mph to anything including 155mph.

Without the chipping you would still be surprised by a 335d. And remember the thing is an auto. 335i would also be interesting. Still believe a 135i would be quicker than a Zed in standard form.

The only reason I went petrol with my 5 was the strange feeling of a turbo oil burner.

They just do not rev the same way and only go up to 5k rpm, if you are used to drive at 6-8k then it just feels wrong. However it did not mean they were slow.