Nissan 350Z | Spotted - Pistonheads article

davey_83

Yes lots of misconceptions, plenty of people that think it is going to be as loud as a V8, as nimble as an MX5, as fast as a modern hot hatch so on and so forth. They don't take into account the design is knocking on the door of 20 years old and that it is a GT car designed more for mile munching than tight B road bombing. 

• Like 1

I was surprised to read that most of the comments were negative as well. The 350/370 have never been loved on PH though to be fair, but you'd think with it being a car enthusiasts website that there would be more love for them. 

I do personally prefer turbo engines and that is why I'm disappointed that the new Z isn't coming to Europe, however I personally think that the 350/370 have loads of charm and character, and I certainly love mine for sure. 

I really like how individual and rare the 350 is now, and who doesn't want a V6 RWD Coupe with a manual gearbox and a LSD! :D:thumbs:

• Like 1

Touch more power than our 03-05 350z however US tuned suspension as the UK version had slightly better body control. At least it was the higher spec with leather, Brembo brakes and BOSE sound system however no remote audio or cruise control.

Much wrong information in that review. "Datsun as Nissan was called back then" No Nissan were always Nissan however used Datsun to launch the brand overseas.

"Renault engine in the 350z" again no it was a Nissan designed and built engine that Renault had used (lesser tuned) as a customer. 

Edited by davey_83

I think the thing with the 350 is that it wasn’t perfect, not by any means. The interior was cheap and nasty even back then, the stock engine note was awful, and out of the factory it did handle much like the transport favoured by Rosie & Jim. Other comments on that thread are dodgy gearshift (yup), thirsty af (yup), and blunted by the weight of it (yup).

And yet it’s still great fun. I maintain it’s possibly the worst performance car I’ve ever owned, but I still thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Practically every competitor of the era was better, but there is something about the 350Z that I will never be able to put my finger on that just made it irresistible. 

5 hours ago, Ekona said:

I think the thing with the 350 is that it wasn’t perfect, not by any means. The interior was cheap and nasty even back then, the stock engine note was awful, and out of the factory it did handle much like the transport favoured by Rosie & Jim. Other comments on that thread are dodgy gearshift (yup), thirsty af (yup), and blunted by the weight of it (yup)

It was a hero car for me though. I had my 18 month old S14a 200SX back in 2002 at the time(I had it for 4 years), so the 350Z was a natural replacement for me. Plus I'd lusted after the Z32 300ZX Twin Turbo for as long as I can remember prior to having the 200 as well. 

The 350 is much better than you describe it for me. I guess that I'm a massive fanboy of Z cars though being fair! :wub:

Would have been nice to see the episode whereby the TG showed the award, would have turned sales around and more importantly the image of the car here in the UK. However it might have added 30-50% to the used car values reducing its bang for buck appeal. 

NISSAN 350Z – ‘TOP GEAR MAGAZINE CAR OF THE YEAR’ 2004

Top Gear Magazine commented:

“From the moment you sit in the driver’s seat, the Z feels like something special. It has the right shape, the right noise, the right pace, the right poise. All at the right price. The Nissan 350Z deserves its place as our car of the year”.

https://uk.nissannews.com/en-GB/releases/release-12348-nissan-350z-top-gear-magazine-car-of-the-year-2004

Back in 'em good ole days a lot of us were lured into 350's by VBH. ;):D

A grainy vid now, but for those who young-uns out there here is what/who turned a lot of us on.......driving the great roads around the Elan Valley  that so many of us enjoyed in our 350/370 days :drive1

Edited by Ebized