New Z confirmed by Nissan

Adrian@TORQEN

Having just left behind an E90 M3, I'll have to say it was a level above the Z. What it lacked in head turning appeal, it made up with pure driving joy.

Whilst I wasn't keen on finally getting an auto, the DCT and high revving engine made it pure joy blasting on motorways and B roads. It was more fun being able to comfortably take 3 other adults with me on my journeys.

The V8, with an aftermarket intake and M performance exhaust was the best experience for my soul. If you can afford to buy and weekend one, do it. Well worth every sweet penny.

The Z was good, but it needs too much tinkering to sort the suspension and wheel hopping out. The BMW works fresh out the box.

19 hours ago, Umster said:

Having just left behind an E90 M3, I'll have to say it was a level above the Z. What it lacked in head turning appeal, it made up with pure driving joy.

Whilst I wasn't keen on finally getting an auto, the DCT and high revving engine made it pure joy blasting on motorways and B roads. It was more fun being able to comfortably take 3 other adults with me on my journeys.

The V8, with an aftermarket intake and M performance exhaust was the best experience for my soul. If you can afford to buy and weekend one, do it. Well worth every sweet penny.

The Z was good, but it needs too much tinkering to sort the suspension and wheel hopping out. The BMW works fresh out the box.

I think I would've gelled a bit more with mine if I'd gone for the DCT rather than the manual with it being my daily. I only did 10k miles in mine, but there were times with the manual if you were in the wrong gear it could feel quite gutless. I think the DCT helps to eliminate that I reckon. 

Plus with the manual the gears are so long as well. Third gear at 8400rpm is 110mph in the manual, and for quick overtakes I always needed to drop it into second, but then you'd almost immediately crash into the limiter and then grab for third. 

I found it more of a frustrating experience with the manual, when on paper the manual should've been a pleasure really. 

My brother in had an E93 M3 Convertible with the DCT that he kept for 11 years(only used as a weekend car), and he loved it to bits. 

• Like 1

Drove the E92 DCT coupe my mate had a Meisterschaft GTC on it. Driving through Dartford Tunnel to Essex wow. I had to cover my ears. It was like a 1000 trumpets at once. 

It was good because you could tinker with the shifts and how aggressive they were. There was a high spec range rover on the case. Let's just say it was nowhere to be seen once in Sport Mode and opened up. It wasnt the best torque wise but when my mate put his foot down once it picks up it no slouch. It's faster than Z. He did have issues with Rods and Actuator or something. Both expensive repairs. Had it 5 years sold it for 15k still with the Yiannimize wrap. His was mapped. Very loud. 

I estimated he spent in total 52k on mods, running it, insurance, service and the car itself. That's based on what he let me know 

• Like 1

I owned an E92 DCT coupe for 16 hours, before I realised I wasn’t thrilled about the purchase so got my deposit back, popped over the road and bought a 997.2 instead. Not an ounce of regret. 

And yet, as I get older I almost wish I’d kept it longer. As a car, it ticks every single box I would ever want from one: high revving V8, stunning chassis, will cruise in comfort or play the hooligan. My loss. 

The 911 was a much better car in every aspect though :D 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ekona said:

I owned an E92 DCT coupe for 16 hours, before I realised I wasn’t thrilled about the purchase so got my deposit back, popped over the road and bought a 997.2 instead. Not an ounce of regret. 

And yet, as I get older I almost wish I’d kept it longer. As a car, it ticks every single box I would ever want from one: high revving V8, stunning chassis, will cruise in comfort or play the hooligan. My loss. 

The 911 was a much better car in every aspect though :D 

I only had mine 10 months, but I did cover 10k miles in it in that time though. The chassis and ride(it had the EDC) were very high points for me, and the induction noise was to die for I thought. 

Overall I much prefer the DCT F82 M4 that I have now as a daily(faster/much more torque/better on fuel etc), however that just can't compete noise wise or ride wise to the E92 M3 though for me. The ride in the M4 is rock hard in comparison, and I've only got the 19" wheels on mine(the Comp Pack has 20" wheels so I dread to think how hard the ride is in that!). 

11 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Quite a thing when the experience of a "driver's car" is enhanced by loosing a pedal 

Agreed. Don't get me wrong I love a 3 pedal manual, and both my 370Z and Caterham 7 are manuals. However the S65 V8 engine in the E9x M3 really benefits from the DCT I think as you say. 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 09:39, Lee370Z said:

Agreed. Don't get me wrong I love a 3 pedal manual, and both my 370Z and Caterham 7 are manuals. However the S65 V8 engine in the E9x M3 really benefits from the DCT I think as you say. 

DCT gearbox is boss, any daul clutch is mega especially on a daily. Whereas a high revving engine with the bulk of the power being at the top would make a manual gearbox hard work I'd imagine day to day. With a DCT you'll always be in the right gear for the amount of throttle input, rpm and road speed. Do love the Z however as it's so lazy you can literally leave it in 4th a doddle around town from 20mph to the speed limit no drama.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShortPaul said:

You don't have the MX-5 anymore than?

Still got it, the 5er is the family wagon. MX5 is going up for sale shortly as I fancy something else, but it’s been an absolute blast owning it. Pound for pound I’ve never owned a more fun or complete all round car. 

Maybe back in the day the manuals felt more torquey than the lazier torque converter autos. DCT however was a different beast. BMW dropped it probably due to costs. ZF does a good job anyway. 

A weekend blaster for the pennines and peak district, manual. As you start to cramp up it's already 4pm and dark. It's convenient. 

Regarding the newer M4 and harsher ride. It seems manufacturers are not tuning cars to be driven on British roads. Back in the day even Renault got it right with sport clio. Sport suspension was very good. Very compliant. 

Since used car prices are headed downwards in winter. Now is good time to pick something up. Best time to buy a used car price wise. Waiting till new year everyone thinks summers coming. 

20 hours ago, Ekona said:

I’d love to try it in a manual, I bet that would be epic though. Then again, I’m the guy that has a manual 520d Touring and adore that, even though I know the auto would suit it much better 🤣

I regretted going for the manual in my E61 520d Touring, and I personally think that the auto suits the engine better. 

13 hours ago, Ekona said:

That’s the point though, the hard work is what makes it fun for us luddites. 

The 370Z has just a fraction less torque than an E92 M3, so the BMW would be just as easy to pootle around in with either gearbox. 

What I love about the 370Z is that the engine actually feels torquey for a naturally aspirated engine, whereas I always thought that the E92 M3 felt like it was lacking in torque in comparison for some odd reason though. 

1 hour ago, Lee370Z said:

What I love about the 370Z is that the engine actually feels torquey for a naturally aspirated engine, whereas I always thought that the E92 M3 felt like it was lacking in torque in comparison for some odd reason though. 

Extra weight upfront? Maybe it had a worn clutch as well. Then gear ratios too

4 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Maybe back in the day the manuals felt more torquey than the lazier torque converter autos. DCT however was a different beast. BMW dropped it probably due to costs. ZF does a good job anyway. 

A weekend blaster for the pennines and peak district, manual. As you start to cramp up it's already 4pm and dark. It's convenient. 

Regarding the newer M4 and harsher ride. It seems manufacturers are not tuning cars to be driven on British roads. Back in the day even Renault got it right with sport clio. Sport suspension was very good. Very compliant. 

Since used car prices are headed downwards in winter. Now is good time to pick something up. Best time to buy a used car price wise. Waiting till new year everyone thinks summers coming. 

Plus dual clutch transmissions are heavy compared with conventional manual, but as bhp figures grew the penalty for the extra wright wasn't as great.

3 hours ago, Lee370Z said:

Also max torque figure is literally no indication of how a car feels, especially in the lower rpm as the Z torque comes in strong low down.

• Like 1

Blasphemous to say around here, but there's a few cars better than the Z.

If you want an upgrade on the V6, the V8 naturally makes sense. Granted if you want a high revving engine, be sure to appreciate BMW want you to rev it out and enjoy it.

Back to topic, I missed out on an Infiniti Q50 a few months back, with the new Z engine. Anyone here driven that 3L turbo charged engine? Thoughts if you have?

1600 to 1800kg seems to be the norm now for 4 door sedans and 2 door sport coupes. Technology makes the weight penalty non existent. Tbh in a crash you want a rock solid car. It comes at a cost. 

Weight savings are great for track times and power to weight not so much safety and comfort. Depends what the priority is. 

@Umster I did consider the Q60 at some point. There are some that have steer by wire which had issues. Most of the Q50 I've seen were hybrid? The 4 door version. Apparently they've got issues. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Yes, however not for its price point 

Agreed, the Z is king for value and for an entry point into 2 door RWD coupes.

But that's not what I want in my weekend car. I'd love to get into Ferrari territory but I'll have to settle with BMW M Performance.

@GranTurismoEra yeah the market is OK if you're happy with the hybrid but the top end 3L engines are so hard to find. I asked around and nobody in the UK remaps the hybrid. I'm not sold on the 4 seat 2 door setup, I want a door per passenger so I've avoided the Q60.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Umster said:

Agreed, the Z is king for value and for an entry point into 2 door RWD coupes.

But that's not what I want in my weekend car. I'd love to get into Ferrari territory but I'll have to settle with BMW M Performance.

@GranTurismoEra yeah the market is OK if you're happy with the hybrid but the top end 3L engines are so hard to find. I asked around and nobody in the UK remaps the hybrid. I'm not sold on the 4 seat 2 door setup, I want a door per passenger so I've avoided the Q60.

Not many of them tbh. Nissan missed the trick with Infiniti. 

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311133912960

• Like 1