Autoglym Tyre Gel *New

davey_83

Not much online about Autoglym's new offering - High Performance Tyre Gel *went to town on that name. But il judge product itself, not the name. Thought I'd give it ago and add it to my inventory. 

First impressions are it's very nice and easy to use, more of a syrup than a gel. Once applied to the tyre it levels out really well, normally I'd always have to revisit to level off however didn't feel the need at all. Went on evenly and without fuss, and even smells nice. It's sort of how I always wanted Meguiar's Endurance Tyre Gel to be, loosing it's sticky feel it would leave behind. 

I left them with a gloss look, as I like my tyres to look dressed rather than not. Wheels and tyres were cleaned the day before with Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner/ fallout remover and Bilt Hamber Autofoam 5.1 for the sidewalls.

Next measure will be how well it holds up to semi daily use. Then to check if the product gives off that browning, commonly seen with gels.

2210402_IMG_20200516_142126236_HDR2.jpg.83cc9b4958c3e9ae444de1c927d04f1f.jpg

*the bottle far left is Autobrite Tyre Gloss

1166367236_IMG_20200516_092544871_HDR2.jpg.63d4e119e7716f066abe79cc5817b991.jpg

973882618_IMG_20200516_092846492_HDR2.jpg.d520044a07ffaf25da73389aab3ba751.jpg

1675738544_IMG_20200516_093020340_HDR2.jpg.0a11b5217fa03678b04f3ca98f0a0ebd.jpg

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 2

Not runny like a liquid, nor like a gel more like squeezable honey. Meguiar's i felt I needed to shake the bottle up more to help even out application, even though it was well shook. 

Looks good, nice and even. I guess if you work them over with a cloth they will become a little more satin?

Im in the market for a tyre dressing soon, like Stu ive been waiting forever for my mine to finish. I was thinking CarPro Perl, all round dressing and well rated.

BTW if you like Bilt's fallout remover, they have a wheel cleaner which has fallout remover and wheel cleaner in one product. Its very good 

Edited by ballistic

I've had two bottles of Meguiars for years, one satin, one gloss. I recently used one of them up on the wheel arch liners. Looks a lot better IMO. :thumbs:

Edited by ATTAK Z

1 hour ago, ballistic said:

Looks good, nice and even. I guess if you work them over with a cloth they will become a little more satin?

Im in the market for a tyre dressing soon, like Stu ive been waiting forever for my mine to finish. I was thinking CarPro Perl, all round dressing and well rated.

BTW if you like Bilt's fallout remover, they have a wheel cleaner which has fallout remover and wheel cleaner in one product. Its very good 

Very even finish which I understand aids with longevity, just like any coating. Yeah I'd imagine that if you ran a clean mf over the sidewalls a while application, you would change the look of needed. 

I've gone for Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner, which is a fallout remover too.

1520460866_IMG_20200515_191807099_HDR2.jpg.3636a203c072f82ee9857b8502aa18ed.jpg

In sure do, get it on and get it off affair!!! 

Pretty much like any consumer wax or sealant I really don't believe there is a Best product. Alot of it is down to personal preference, or easy of purchase, style of application, product look once applied. Like I never got the whole 12 months sealant gig, I enjoy cleaning and protecting my car with a 4-6 months arguably better (subjective) warmer looking paste wax/sealant. Like tyre dressing, how often do we wash our cars?..... Hardly feels a hardship to then dress the tyres ever other wash to keep them topped up. Glass coatings, yeah go long. Wheel coatings, again yeah go long. The rest I enjoy attending too. 

3 hours ago, ballistic said:

I never got on with Perl as a tyre dressing, tbh. It works really well on trim and rubber seals, but not good on tyres in my experience.

If you like a more satin finish, Gyeon Tire (sic) is nigh on impossible to beat. One coat gives a lovely satin finish, then you could add a second coat if you want more shiney. Force cured it lasts forever and keeps the tyre much cleaner than anything else I've tried too.

• Like 1

I used to use this until I changed tyre brands on my daily car as it didn't seem to apply very well. Nobody on the detailing forums could offer an explanation, I thought it might be to do with different composition of all season tyres. I was happy with the results up until then. I'm using KKD Tyresol now on both my cars.

I still have quite a lot left of this AutoGlym, I should give it another go on the Nissan. Made the mistake of overapplying a water based dressing to it last time and it went everywhere; which is the same reason I've been hesitant to try Perl. I've got similar products and I find them good for trim but a lot harder to manage/apply on tyres.

Edit: in fact I tell a lie. I have no idea why I stopped using it. It was the water based tyre/trim dressing I stopped using. 

Edited by alexgv1
  • Like 1

Tried it on the Sunny before the Zed and I'm chuffed with it so far, will be scrubbing out the Michelins ready for this the next time round. Some get on well with it, others don't in terms of durability. Again might be applying over a water based or silicon style dressing. 

Screenshot_20200517-083458.png.6f47166e432aca826d99e7423b444d51.png

I saw some turtle wax tyre gel for under a fiver. I’m a sucker for a bargain :lol:

My megs was finished ( @SuperStu took me 12 years to finish it :scare: ), loved it but hated the mess 

This is definitely less messy, really good results and just as durable as endurance gel. I’d even say it’s a bit deeper after a few weeks once the gloss fades

Must admit after reading a lot on detailing over the years I had ignored brands like turtle wax, a few including yourself on here had swayed me to trying it and I’m glad I did  

• Like 2

Said it moons ago, Autoglym and Turtlewax have R&D budget some enthusiast brands could only dream off. Could overnight choose to pump millions into a new product line, producing great items and in recent years it would appear this has took place. I've had Gtechniq products and while ok, definitely wouldn't buy again. 

You can't be a brand snob and be a Zed owner :lol:

• Haha 1

I was introduced to the Autoglym Instadry Cloth by the guy that did my ceramic coating last year and I've been using it ever since. It's a combination of a microfibre towel and a man-made wash leather type material. Great for drying the car with a streak free finish.

You can buy them direct from the manufacturer for less than AG charge. ;)

It'll depend on how wet the car is - it is possible to get round a well protected car in one go, especially if you're able to dry the car with an open ended hose.

Personally I'm not a fan of those, especially on soft paint. The "special coating" (or whatever terminology they use) just increases the risk of marring. IIRC AG even market them alongside their chamois which should indicate their target market is not detailers (sorry Attak Z!) - not that there's anything wrong with that, but marring and swirls aren't a concern (or usually even a consideration) for that market, so you pay your money...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LRF4N said:

I saw some turtle wax tyre gel for under a fiver. I’m a sucker for a bargain :lol:

My megs was finished ( @SuperStu took me 12 years to finish it :scare: ), loved it but hated the mess 

This is definitely less messy, really good results and just as durable as endurance gel. I’d even say it’s a bit deeper after a few weeks once the gloss fades

Must admit after reading a lot on detailing over the years I had ignored brands like turtle wax, a few including yourself on here had swayed me to trying it and I’m glad I did  

I'm using the turtle wax wet and black  tyre gel at the moment and I've been really impressed with it. :thumbs:

I used to use the wet and black turtle wax spray which did give a lovely deep black shine...but it always went all over the wheels and bodywork and that used to annoy me! :doh:

55 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Learn something every day, do you need to ring it out and will it dry the car in one go? 

Yep - bucket of warm water - soak cloth - wring out - go over panel(s) once to remove water - repeat to polish to a shine  :thumbs: 

22 hours ago, davey_83 said:

In sure do, get it on and get it off affair!!! 

Pretty much like any consumer wax or sealant I really don't believe there is a Best product. Alot of it is down to personal preference, or easy of purchase, style of application, product look once applied. Like I never got the whole 12 months sealant gig, I enjoy cleaning and protecting my car with a 4-6 months arguably better (subjective) warmer looking paste wax/sealant. Like tyre dressing, how often do we wash our cars?..... Hardly feels a hardship to then dress the tyres ever other wash to keep them topped up. Glass coatings, yeah go long. Wheel coatings, again yeah go long. The rest I enjoy attending too. 

Couldnt agree more; i recent hit the wheels with gtechniq C5, and some long term stuff on glass. But with the paint i enjoy the process. Plus little issues always crop up that need correcting so the 'long term' coating wouldnt last me very long as i would polish it away correcting a defect or something lol. Also, it does seem to me that the very long term protection products do have to sacrifice some gloss for longevity. 

I never got on with Perl as a tyre dressing, tbh. It works really well on trim and rubber seals, but not good on tyres in my experience.

If you like a more satin finish, Gyeon Tire (sic) is nigh on impossible to beat. One coat gives a lovely satin finish, then you could add a second coat if you want more shiney. Force cured it lasts forever and keeps the tyre much cleaner than anything else I've tried too.

@ilogikal1 I will look into it mate, thanks. One of the reasons im looking at Perl is that it has multiple uses inside and out.

Edited by ballistic
  • Like 1