Tyres for LMGT4’s

Lewis Schwier

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

In OE sizes you'd save £140 choosing the Continental SportContact 6 over the MPS4S on Oponeo, still an excellent set of rubbers which is what I went for when replenishing my 19's last year. 

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

That is what I’m running at the moment (well the 5’s). Back tyres have plenty of tread left and fronts need to be replaced. Would love to go MPS4S but seems silly to replace all 4 when only two need doing. Probably see if I can get some part worn Conti sport 6’s so they wear all the same time. Then will go MPS4S next time around. 

• Like 1

I noticed!! Looking into the details the 6's are a fair way beyond the 5P's as they should be.

https://www.evo.co.uk/features/16838/continental-sportcontact-6-review-the-tyre-of-choice-for-your-sports-car

Memories of a soft sidewalled 5P were quickly forgotten as the 6s flaunted better high-speed stability, most evident through a fast right-left turn that danced the car over a crest on the edge of grip. Hard braking with a small amount of lock on also revealed that the sidewalls were less inclined to fold, making it much easier to attack each braking point and trail the brakes towards the apex with consistency. 

• Like 1

They're GREAT, steering felt so much lighter and direct honestly even before coming off the drive. Loads of steering feel and sportiness on the road, really want to put my 19's back on but abit pointless just to sit pretty on the drive collecting dew dust :yawn: 

Any of the top 3 UHP tyres, id say you'd be chuffed with - all down to price & looks.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

^ same, who wants ugly sidewalls.....

I use to love the old Yokohama Parada Spec 2 as the sidewall design was minimal and took to tyre dressing fantastic. Had about 3 sets in different sizes over the years. I personally hate a busy sidewall design, all in the detail.

yo_parada_spec2_ci2_l.jpg.071e4df1ad164090e89e48196aa58e3c.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davey_83 said:

You can better the Michelins for steering feel and outright dry grip however, or wet weather performance.

Ah but @Ekona has told me that you don't drive over 45mph so in your world, that's probably true !  :gathering:

;) Only jokin'

4 hours ago, davey_83 said:

^ same, who wants ugly sidewalls.....

I use to love the old Yokohama Parada Spec 2 as the sidewall design was minimal and took to tyre dressing fantastic. Had about 3 sets in different sizes over the years. I personally hate a busy sidewall design, all in the detail.

yo_parada_spec2_ci2_l.jpg.071e4df1ad164090e89e48196aa58e3c.jpg

Really hated the tyre sidewalls that originally came with our Mini.

Lots of textured lines making the application of tyre dressing a really unsatisfying chore.

The fact they are 65 profile made it even worse.

Loving the smoothness of those Yokohama sidewalls above B)

• Thanks 1

@davey_83 such a good video, thanks for that. I was actually listening to a podcast and he was the guest.

As for the results very interesting for sure, biggest surprise was how far down the Michelin was for wet handling despite its reputation. Just proves how far the Conti and Goodyears have come. For the driving I do I'm sure any of the big 3 would be more then enough performance. In terms of sidewall I actually love the Goodyear sidewall so I might go for them!

• Thanks 1

I’m submitting this thread as evidence that lockdown is adversely affecting the mental health of the nation. I can overlook davey’s obsession with “pretty” tyres being the most important factor, but when other people agree with him...

No, it’s too much.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to choose a set of brake pads based on how they smell.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ilogikal1 said:

I’m submitting this thread as evidence that lockdown is adversely affecting the mental health of the nation. I can overlook davey’s obsession with “pretty” tyres being the most important factor, but when other people agree with him...

No, it’s too much.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to choose a set of brake pads based on how they smell.

I’m a professional detailer. I live and breathe aesthetics of cars every single day spending hours and hours to achieve the cars ultimate form in looks. 

• Thanks 1