GoHashiri's FairladyZ Build in Japan

GoHashiri

Went for a blast at Mikawa today; i was planning to run a drift session in the morning and a grip session at lunch time. Sadly, i crashed early on in the drift session.

The good news is, it's not that bad. I need to get an alignment (again - christ) to ensure the suspension components are okay but from our initial observation it all looked okay.

Core support is split in two, bumper is busted, undertray is broken, PS fluid cooler was hit but is not leaking and the right wing is buckled from where the wheel hit it at lock; the underside took a battering. On the face of it, nothing serious but I'll be sure to update here when i fully examine everything. Fortunately these parts are all pretty cheap, bidding on a white wing at the moment for £2! Meanwhile, enjoy the pics and crash video.   

Clean run: 

Crash: 

Sorry for the terrible quality phone pics

1_LI.jpg

2.jpg

3 (3).jpg

4 (2).jpg

5 (2)_LI.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Most people just wouldnt post about these experiences...love your attitude towards things mate!

Hopefully it's not too expensive to get back up and running!

Have you considered some additional strut braces underneath to take some more force if it happens again?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ogman said:

Most people just wouldnt post about these experiences...love your attitude towards things mate!

This is why I'd now say this is the best 350z thread going. Epic photos and no hiding the pain of the track life. Hope the repair is quick, easy and cheap! 

3 hours ago, Ogman said:

Hopefully it's not too expensive to get back up and running!

Have you considered some additional strut braces underneath to take some more force if it happens again?

Thank you! There's no hiding I'm an amateur but it's damn fun on the track and I'm hoping to get good enough to run in the togue... next year.. maybe. Either way, it doesn't matter too much as long as it's fun.

It shouldn't be too expensive - I'm estimating about £3-400 without replacing the bumper. I have an alignment booked-in on 03/08 so that should reveal more. 

I actually hadn't considered that but for sure it is something I need to look into. Have you got any recommendations?

9 minutes ago, Umster said:

This is why I'd now say this is the best 350z thread going. Epic photos and no hiding the pain of the track life. Hope the repair is quick, easy and cheap! 

Thank you! I'm hoping the car will be ready again by the 9th of August.

I'll update my progress here.  

• Like 1

Fingers crossed then, that would be ideal :thumbs:

Theres one for sale on the forum at the moment:

I'm sure the same company do a couple of different options too, but this may be a good place to start?

9 hours ago, Ogman said:

Fingers crossed then, that would be ideal :thumbs:

Theres one for sale on the forum at the moment:

I'm sure the same company do a couple of different options too, but this may be a good place to start?

Thanks for this, I see what you mean. I'm also considering getting one of those front bars but it seems a bit extreme for me - I still want the car to look pleasant.

Unfortunately the shipping would be a pain with the one for sale here, otherwise it would entirely be an option. I'll check the local auction sites for options.  

18 minutes ago, GoHashiri said:

Thanks for this, I see what you mean. I'm also considering getting one of those front bars but it seems a bit extreme for me - I still want the car to look pleasant.

Unfortunately the shipping would be a pain with the one for sale here, otherwise it would entirely be an option. I'll check the local auction sites for options.  

Yeah I'm with you on that one!

I gathered as soon as I posted it regarding the postage!! - but I'm sure you get the idea, theres bound to be a few floating about for sale over there.

Good luck with the search! I'll be keeping an eye on your next move anyway :thumbs:

13 hours ago, Ogman said:

Yeah I'm with you on that one!

I gathered as soon as I posted it regarding the postage!! - but I'm sure you get the idea, theres bound to be a few floating about for sale over there.

Good luck with the search! I'll be keeping an eye on your next move anyway :thumbs:

Cheers pal!

Ordered today:

Wing (in white - hopefully it matches, it was  about £30 regardless)

Core Support

Undertray set

Quick Release Bumper Clip (whilst i source a good bumper)

Next week I'll get fixings, PS fluid, etc and update here on how the alignment goes. An angle kit would would be awesome but it won't pass the MOT here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: on the weekend i managed to swap out my core support, noticed my radiator is bent but not leaking - so all fine. The dreadful OEM PS cooler took a hit too, it's something I've been meaning to replace since I noticed it boiling over at the track.

Got an alignment today, make of it what you will. the specs seem fine to me bar the wanky caster (I have whiteline comp arm bushes):

Before:                                                                                 

FL Camber -2.13 / FR Camber -2.20 

FL Caster 8.40 / FR Caster 8.05

FL Toe 0 / FR Toe -1.0

RL Camber -2.47 / -2.49 RR Camber

RL Toe 1.0 / RR Toe 1.6

After:

FL Camber -2.14 / FR Camber -2.22 

FL Caster 8.40 / FR Caster 8.05

FL Toe 0 / FR Toe 0

RL Camber -2.16 / -2.16 RR Camber

RL Toe 0.5 / RR Toe 0.5

Bear in mind that inbetween I had the compression arm bushings done and I d*cked around with the suspension height. I think the front strut bushings are on their way out which could impact the camber values. 

I've got the new fender ready to go on and just bought a bumper. I was looking at getting the ultra racing rear chassis brace because mine took a beating but the bumper was a whopping £500 so I'll need to hold off until next month. Oh year, my DSLR died on me also.

IMG_4701.JPG.a8f19139bf68553a40d003af38daa466.JPGIMG_4721_LI.jpg.9345a585e440b065a489c6d5c56a463c.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ogman said:

Glad to see its back on the mend! :snack:

Me too - the weather is bloody lovely at the moment and I'm dying to get back out there.

4 hours ago, Luigi350z said:

Hi Maverick, sorry for your pain, but happy to see that you are recovering fast. Your accident reminded me when I was doing track days on motorbike....motorsport is an expensive hobby... but the fun is great!   :thumbs:

Cheers for the support - damn expensive, yes. But incredibly fun!

Further update: today i managed to install the wing, a couple of new door hinges and the bumper; which takes the mend to near completion. I still need to get the chassis brace and probably a power steering cooler of some kind.

I've noticed it now rubs a tiny bit. I was too tired to figure out which corner it's rubbing on but I did manage to take some pics with my new camera (which i don't really know how to use, so excuse the ISO).      

IMG_7960-1plate.jpg

IMG_7962-2plate.jpg

IMG_7967-3plate.jpg

IMG_7984-4plate.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Back where she belongs, looks really sweet 

Almost! Should be back at the track at the end of the month. I want to get a roadtrip into the mountains in before potentially stacking it again.

17 minutes ago, alexgv1 said:

Looking great! White is growing on me :thumbs:

Cheers pal

• Like 1

On 11/08/2020 at 18:57, Luigi350z said:

Uau..beautiful! Which city of Japan is this?

Thanks Luigi, it's Nagoya, Japan. Lots of race tracks in this area too if you're ever to visit. 

15 hours ago, marzman said:

These pictures are great. :cloud9:

Thank youu!

50 minutes ago, msitpro said:

Stance so on point - might have to change my 265/35 285/35 setup for 255/40 275/40. I'm low but gaping arch gaps!

Hell to arch gaps! Seriously though, check camber as well because I was considering an offset of +5 before my alignment, it's +15 currently. Chunky tyres will mask some arch gap too

Edited by GoHashiri

This weekend I took the car 300km north to see some family. Dropped by one of my favourite spots for the first time by car, enjoy the pic!

I'm gonna try and fix a few niggly issues this month and should return to the track in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone here suffered from a noisy AC condenser before? I'm gonna guess the pulley is on its way out.

1850080536_IMG_8179-1Plate-1.jpg.b3b2da8b09c8161364e65b8bd7268a25.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...