M240! vs 370Z Nismo Mk1

GranTurismoEra

I'm considering both and I like the idea of extra seats and decided M2 was a bit steep for me. Besides the 240i has the B58 engine with a bit more torque and theres not much in it in a straight line between M2 and 240!.

I also like the Mk1 Nismo as Ive had the mark 2 before, fancy looking at the older nismo without the Recaros which were the main selling point in the mk2. After seeing R13ards one at Ace Cafe I thought maybe. 

The MK1 will obviously drink more but will be rarer and the BMW I would get in Auto even though Im more of a manual driver. I did read some issues with infotainment system. But other than that pretty reliable. Not sure now lol. Both are around £20,000 to £25,000 roughly for 16/17 BMW and 14 plates Nismo respectively. 

369 ft/lbs/335 HP BMW 240I - 4.5 secs Auto

270ft/lbs/344HP 370Z Nismo (Manual only) 5.2 secs

Edited by GranTurismoEra

BMW's are very common now a days. Although they are great cars, my brother has an M135i which is a great little car and very quick. The MK1 Nismo will be a rarer car yes indeed. but ultimately the decision would be yours to make as i am sure both cars are very capable. Like you said the BMW has more seats also.

Yeah, sorry to say it but apart from the noises and maybe the brakes the Bimmer wins in every way, although TBF youre comparing a 2008 car with a 2014 car :)
The 370 will probably hold its money better but Im not sure Id bet on that. 

The B58 is indeed a legendary engine already (they generally dyno at least 360hp) and a 240 is nearly as quick as an M2 in a straight line but theres little comparison between the chassis of the two, the M2 is miles better. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

BMW's are very common now a days. Although they are great cars, my brother has an M135i which is a great little car and very quick. The MK1 Nismo will be a rarer car yes indeed. but ultimately the decision would be yours to make as i am sure both cars are very capable. Like you said the BMW has more seats also.

Yeah I agree, depends if youre happy to blend in or get something different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, docwra said:

Yeah, sorry to say it but apart from the noises and maybe the brakes the Bimmer wins in every way, although TBF youre comparing a 2008 car with a 2014 car :)
The 370 will probably hold its money better but Im not sure Id bet on that. 

The B58 is indeed a legendary engine already (they generally dyno at least 360hp) and a 240 is nearly as quick as an M2 in a straight line but theres little comparison between the chassis of the two, the M2 is miles better. 

yeah the M2 is lighter by like 70-80KG and a different chassis although using N55 engine. Possibly 375 on the dyno. I saw a drag race between the two its literally level. Around the corners the M2 would make headway. I think the 240I has been dialled back a bit. A small remap can take the 240I to 390HP

I see them as totally different cars. The BMW would make the ideal daily with the added comfort, practicality and decent torque on tap when you want it. The downside is they are everywhere (for a credible reason mind you).

As you've said, you previously had the MK2 so know how it feels etc. The MK1 just brings that added uniqueness, even over the MK2. Its simply nice to have something you don't see everyday, or in fact at all. I couldn't daily mine though, its incredibly harsh. The infotainment system is awful, but I don't use it anyway. Can't even hear the radio because of the road noise :lol: - All the best with what you decide on, nice dilemma to have :thumbs:

DSC_0367-Edited.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Umster said:

Do you want a daily or do you want a garage queen? It's as simple as that for me. 

Daily, I only drive 3 miles to work and might drive out at lunch times. So 12 miles a day and the odd extra 6 miles to the gym. Sounds daunting! lol.

Cars are made to be driven. But I might get a little Clio or Yaris on the side as you never know how much itll be worth one day.

Personally think there will be other cars which will prove better investment than the MK1 Nismo though I'm not savvy on car investments. 

If you're doing so little mileage and don't need space for kids/business trips then 370z surely. 

I think its more a case of do you particularly want a 370Z - if so, great but there are a lot of better dailies, garage queens, appreciating assets, track specials and everything else available for 20K. 

FWIW I just did a howmanyleft and there are about 2000 370's and just under 4000 240's, neither are exactly common. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, docwra said:

I think its more a case of do you particularly want a 370Z - if so, great but there are a lot of better dailies, garage queens, appreciating assets, track specials and everything else available for 20K. 

FWIW I just did a howmanyleft and there are about 2000 370's and just under 4000 240's, neither are exactly common. 

Yea ive driven e92 m3 and my mates 4 series. Been in Mercedes coupes and Audis. I wanted a Type R when I was younger but never got round to it.

So when I got the 350z and 370z i felt those were the cars I had more connection with. 

With the BMW I can go anywhere and park anywhere and it wouldn't attract too much attention even if it had an M performance kit. The Z however id be worried going to certain places or parking in certain areas with it haha.

But you get that feel good factor knowing the only person whos got one lives miles away and doesnt daily his.

2 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

It would be the mk1 nismo for me all day long, as soon as I am in the position to get one, that is what I will be going for, and in red would be cool:teeth:

The red mark one Ive seen on YouTube was in Europe. Are you sure they are here? Its usually white and black here in UK. 

That red one had colour coded bumpers looked good. 

4 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

The red mark one Ive seen on YouTube was in Europe. Are you sure they are here? Its usually white and black here in UK. 

That red one had colour coded bumpers looked good. 

Not sure mate I know they are here in black, silver, white not sure about red