New forum member & aspiring owner - need advice

Hi All,

New member here, came across this forum over the past couple of days as I've been looking to buy a 350Z.

This car purchase will be purely as a weekend/fun car so won't be my daily driver as I have another car for that purpose.

I've been looking around and have found a car that I like in terms of colour but unsure about the price as it seems a bit steep so wanted to check in with you as you are all far more knowledgeable than I on these cars.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805026145829

I must say it seems to have been taken care of, and having spoken to the dealer he did say it was in very good nick.

I've checked the MOT history and nothing jumps out (OE53BRF).

I've seen many others that seem to have been abused and have shocking MOT histories so this is why this one has caught my attention albeit it is a 2003 DE model.

I also asked him if it was a GT model but he wasn't sure, it does look like it has electric seats and he said he thinks they're heated too and the steering wheel seems to have the cruise control buttons but he mentioned that it doesn't have the Bose sound system so unsure.  Could it have been the base spec and then some options added but not including the Bose sound system? is the Bose a good addition?

Also one final question, when I look at the seats, the drivers seat seems to have two buttons to adjust the position but the passenger seat only one, is this normal?

Many thanks and would appreciate your feedback as unsure if the price is justified on this one (dealer won't listen to any offers).

:welcome: to the forum.

It looks like 5k to me, however, it appears to have been well looked after.

How does it drive?

What warranty is the dealer offering?

How many previous owners?

Service History?

Tyres?

Yes, the seat button configuration is correct for the model.

5 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

:welcome: to the forum.

It looks like 5k to me, however, it appears to have been well looked after.

How does it drive?

What warranty is the dealer offering?

How many previous owners?

Service History?

Tyres?

Yes, the seat button configuration is correct for the model.

Thank you!

5k was the price I had in mind tbh.

I haven't yet viewed the car but plan to do so over the next couple of days however just unsure if I would pay the asking price.

The warranty on offer is 3 months covering engine & gearbox.

It has 2 brand new tyres on the front but back tyres are not new but have decent tread depth according to the dealer.

5 previous owners and whilst it was advertised as FSH when I asked further it seems to have some patchy service history, was first done at 9k then a huge gap to 47k with no stamps but then done at 58k, 64k, 65k, 67k, 68k, 70k, 73k & 79k (I'm guessing annually as it was rarely driven for the past few years going by the mileage readings on the MOT history).  Piecing it together it looks like there was an owner (or 2) in there who didn't service it or maybe did the servicing themselves.

It's a bit of a trek for me to get there so I'm still in 2 minds and don't want to rush into buying if it isn't at the 'right' price point.

Simples, just tell the seller that you have a maximum budget of 5K. and ask if he has enough wiggle room to do a deal.

Tell him that you live a considerable distance away and that you don't want to waste your time.

Worst that he can do is tell you to do one.

The warranty is useless as it will only cover the engine and box for mechanical failure and will exclude wear and tear.

There will also be a maximum payout per claim and a max in total, which will not be much.

Mixed brands of tyres is never good.

It is a 15 year old car so buyer beware.

Hi and :welcome: . I checked many  ...many cars before i bought my ZED and I am pretty sure that car you are after is GT model. Price is a bit higher that I would have paid but car looks very clean and tidy. I believe you will be able to get a price down to 5-5.2k. Good luck :thumbs:

Thank you all.

I just wanted a second (more informed) opinion on this particular car and it seems that I was right about the price being on the high side so I will see if the dealer is willing to negotiate although I doubt it but if not then the search continues.

Looking forward to joining the club fully once I have my 350Z!

It sounds very similar to mine (though mine didn’t have a 40k gap in service history).

I paid £6k for mine about 18 months ago and whilst there were others around the £5k mark with similar mileage, service history etc, I paid the extra as mine was fully stock and in mint condition given its age. I don’t regret paying the extra at all. 

Make sure you’ve looked at a couple of other examples so you have a fair comparison on price. I was initially looking to buy a roadster and with some mods already in place, but quickly changed my mind after seeing a few. 

I'm not sure really apart from a bargaining chip what the worry about a set of missed stamps from 8 years ago is? Before I serviced mine I took it to a great indy but frequently forgot to get the book stamped, a few owners down the line and that detail is lost and all you know is there's no stamps! Realistically it's been fine for the past x years so it's not a big deal. Condition is key, by all means use this as a lever but if the condition is excellent then go for it, you'll easily waste the £1000 on a car that isn't in great condition so don't save money to just spend it later. Check underneath for rust the w brace is usually easy to see. Listen for metallic clunks at low speed when driving especially over bumps, listen for a smooth start up etc. 

If you do go see it be prepared to walk away if it's not for you! They're not in short supply so don't be fooled into thinking this is a one off chance! 

There's a lot of  if & buts .

Mine's a cat c in 2009 the owner owned it for 8 years 32000 miles no history but all mots .

Just been moted at couger store.

Happy as larry.

All amith  bout cat c & d's.

Owned for just over  a year and this was the first and only Z  i went to see

Thank you all for your responses and helpful advice.

I will definitely take my time, I'm not in a massive hurry and would rather find the 'right' car before making the purchase.

To your point @pintopete58 I think it can be the luck of the draw at times with used cars but all I can do is minimise the risk as much as possible by doing my homework.

I will be reading up more on this forum and I'll keep an eye out, only problem is I'm so smitten with the Sunset Orange colour not sure I would want any other colour :teeth: very surprised that it's so seemingly rare!

I know exactly how you feel because I recently bought my car and it had been long process:headhurt: , there are many doubts and contrary feelings but at the end trust your guts and most importantly DO NOT rush. Pick your priorities and be prepared to sacrifice few of them as very unlikely you will find a car which tick all boxes. For me personally most important parts were : number of owners and mileage.  Anyway good luck :thumbs:

Edited by keyas23