Sunday night pondering.... (future Z replacement)

AMT

Bit of reading as I'm gonna type loads but food for thought stay with it lol. For a kickoff I don't have £40K to spend on a car, so I can only hope in a couple of year or so they depreciate like a stone... like a lot of the brands models lol. 

I sometimes wonder (as do many on this thing) what do you replace the Z with? There barely anything out there (for the not so well off) that is reasonably price used, similar sort of running costs and has the same sort of power/performance and wow factor as a Z (whether it be 50' or 70').  The 350Z when cleaned up still has that mini supercar GT thing going on and not many cars have that. I've sat behind another 350 few months ago and I'm not sure if it's because I was sitting low but the thing looked awesome from behind...low, wide and squat (even thought they aren't really wide at all). 

Most stuff now is either a hot hatch or a 2 door coupe of a 4 door...which I would normally not entertain, but I'm struggling. Audi A/S5's bore me, 4 series just....a dunno I can't get into them, C Class coupes the rears a bit odd from some angles and I hate the stupid 'stick on' screens despite their interiors being excellent. I even consider the Lexus RC things, but one problem... unless its an M or an AMG or something most are all 7 second to 60 wonders. Not the most important thing but you know what I mean, usually theres a gap filler..... so you get the 150-200bhp cars then something around 300 odds before you get to the really expensive stuff. New C class, that RC thing... 7secs is what you get, then you reeeeaaally need a good savings account to go up in power lol

I'll also admit at this point for all the love I have for my 350, its awkward clutch and kangarooing in traffic have annoyed me so much over the past 5 years I most certainly want an auto with paddles for the replacement as most of my time is going to and fro from work.  It's get tiring after a while if your not paying attention and it decides you should look like a learner driver for that pull away :dry: .  I also would like something a bit...more comfortable, not wallowy but just a bit softer but still drives ok. Bascially I'm old (at 31) and don't mind giving up some items as I'm no kimi raikkonen.  I still maintain (having driven a lot of stuff and test drove future potentials) the Z still has one of the best steering, nicely weighted and you feel everything on the move, it's still a good lesson in handling for its kind of car I IMO (yes I know you get caymans etc but the Z's just got a bit more character). Had a proper hard time trying to not replace it with an XKR or 5.0 XK (almost did on 2 occasions) but there getting old and I've managed to prize myself away from the thought.

Anyway back to my own personal stance, I have the Zed for 5 year, probably keep it for another couple (but who knows I take notions...Z was one of them) and its been going to Infiniti Glasgow and they've been good...great tbh and I trust them and that really is hard to get a good service out of dealers these days, I know them well and some of the staff very well in terms of my length of time being there.  So all these things come in to play, I want a sports car/coupe/GT thingy,more power, easier to use, def need a garage or place I trust/know (cos I'm paranoid that way) and I can't see much. 

I saw Infiniti's Q60 when they launched the 2.0 (7 sec wonder I think again..really it should be 6.5 at least) and was a bit unsure, its rear angle could be odd at times and it wasn't as low in terms of the height but also the amount of panel from say the wheel arch to the bonnet, the more there is the more chunky a thing looks. I keep seeing the 3.0 Twin Turbo V6's ones now and the car in various colours and I'm warming to it. I need to remember it is a 2 door verson of the Q50 after all. When I stack it up.... still a big powerful engine, packing 400 ponies as near as makes no difference, all wheel drive, auto with paddles, looks good (mostly) and despite the short cummings of some of the media items I do like the interior all swoopy cascading. It's also less to tax, more fuel efficient and faster than a Z.... which is nice. I'd end up putting an exhaust on it, tint the rears just as I've done with the Z but as its a Turbo, I'm guessing there possibilities of an easy and reasonably cheap power bump??

I can forgive its steering not being as good (you can get it without the electric crap but when weighted as on the Q50 its...ok, not Z good but ok), the fact it does't have a BMW Audi or Merc badge...kind of appeals to me as I like lits front and design in general better and its different.... just like the Z..which is key!

What do you think out of the below which would you choose if you were going for a sports/GT/Coupe? (bearing in mind what you get for Q60 3.0 money, think the 4 series might be the only one to offer decent performance but again its a bit...dull)

Audi A5

Infiniti Q60

BMW 4 Series

Mercedes C-Class

I seen this one below on Autotrader and think.. yeah... I could live with that. Z's going in for a health check next monday so I'll ponder over the Q60's when I'm there, as I'm a big child :)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709079060201?make=INFINITI&sort=price-desc&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=g12bp&model=Q60&page=1

.... just wish it came with the 20inch wheels it had on the show cars!! and not the 19 spindly things its sold with just now.  There similar in nature but the 20's do look more substantial and suit the car more.

754d1473899925-q60-red-sport-400-wheel-c

Edited by AMT

2.0 with just over 200hp (7.3 secs to 60...must be the weight cos' to me...anything with 200 should be doing 6-6.5)

and

3.0 Twin Turbo V6 with 400hp, numbers differ some say 60 in 5.0 secs some say 4.9 (in the real world it won't matter). I've also seen some videos of stock 3.0's being dyno'd in US and coming with more than claimed so who knows. 

Again just down to depreciation (so I can jump on it) and then it would be a bit of a powerhouse luxury bargain. I've had loads of their courtesy cars and you get plenty kit with Infiniti's

You had a 350... how could you say a thing.... god damn you :lol: lol My friends mum has the new S5, looks the part although I can't help thinking it might age quickly like the original ones and its shiney grill can be had on normal diesels etc. Out the bunch I'd pick the Q60, but I'm thinking in terms of budget performance. Yes I am basing on numbers also but any of them are more relaxing experience than the Z lol My friend thinks I've shot myself in the foot, like what are you gonna buy after this cos he sure as hell knows I don't want less performance...which is true haha. It's hard to argue with more power, better fuel, less tax....  Anyway just a bit of pondering :blush:

Since the 350z (excusing the 370z) there really hasnt been anything to come out of Japan that offers an alternative to ze german marques, so if you want a replacement you are going to be staring down the barrel of bmw, merc, audi, porsche etc but as Ekona says, your next choice may not have to be "better", just different. I have found i jump around a lot and dont really stick to one motoring persuasion, its whatever suits the intended needs at the time.

I had no real interest in selling up last year and as like you i couldnt find anything to prize me out of the zed without increasing the budget drastically (which wasnt an option) and then out of nowhere, i stumbled into looking at Vx220's, they really couldnt be any different to a zed and had never been on my radar, within a month i was in one and its been a great car to own and drive and the best of all, if ever i thought i missed the zed, well there are hundreds to choose from.

Spread your wings, try some other stuff, the zeds arent going anywhere, you can always come back!

• Like 1

I'm giving up some of the fun in the name of convenience lol well... in the future anyway, most cars will turn to auto/paddles with the exception of the few to retain a bit of fun but I can see manuals going out as we get more modern in years to come. 

I'm considering selling my Z and buying a f80 m3. Seriously good value at the moment. 

So much torque it's ridiculous and a great gearbox. Standard suspension isn't upto the job though. It will try to kill you. 

I quite like the RC, bit stumpy and why the bonnet needs to be so high from the wheel arch I don't know. Sat inside it and thought nice but...hella dull with the cheaper looking grey everywhere....and if your into figures, there slow.... lol unless you buy the full whack F, A Zed would fly past them... 

On 11 September 2017 at 19:41, teejay said:

in three to five the Alfa will be a pile of rust:scare:

Nonsense. I had a Brera from new for 4 years in 2009. The most reliable, problem free new car I've ever had. Not the quickest but I loved it. 

Build was excellent and the interior was stunning and rattle free. 

Got compliments everyday. Even sat at traffic lights.  

• Like 1

On 12/09/2017 at 17:08, Jetpilot said:

The Alfa looks good, but sounds like you are ordering a pizza.

I know what you are saying but thought that about the 4c too. However with a new exhaust system they can sound brilliant. Sure this would be no exception. 

Edited by monkeybrain1234

On 9/13/2017 at 14:25, Kev said:

Nonsense. I had a Brera from new for 4 years in 2009. The most reliable, problem free new car I've ever had. Not the quickest but I loved it. 

Build was excellent and the interior was stunning and rattle free. 

Got compliments everyday. Even sat at traffic lights.  

Yes. I had a 155 for many years and a 56 v6 for many more and they are no worse than any other car.

The only problem with an Alfa is the suspension bushes usually give out regularly as they are too soft, and they stuck with cam belts rather than chains for far too long.  Don't know if they still use belts or chains.

Other than that, like any car, with some pre-emptive care they are perfectly reliable and solid and that Q is rather tasty, albeit only in the top spec engine.

I recently got to drive a lot of the inifinti range when my fx30 was in for work (Q70).  Driving all of them made me realise how good the big Q70 is.  Its remarkably quick even in the corners thanks to sports suspension and a small/quick steering system.  The Q50 console was horrid, a terrible interior with too many screens  that did too little.  Trying to put that ugliness to one side the 2.0 engine i had was 'spirited' and pleasant to use.  the suspension was a soft as your grannys ass though and my 2+ tonne car easily surpassed it.  I'd hope the Q60 was better but give it a real workout as it could be disappointing after the Z.  You really need the sports suspension option if possible - not the silly setting that makes no darn difference via the console - the proper air-shock setting that actually make a difference.

A word of warning also about the automatics; it may be that I have a more sluggish turbo-diesel but the gear changes are not rapid and being a less well known car it's not possible to get the ecu altered.  In other words, tuning options are very limited past a decent sound out of the exhaust and the box may be configured for the more sedate gentleman.  Make sure it performs like a sports car before you buy!  The paddle system works rather well though.

Lastly, for anyone, don't ever bother with the Q30.  What a pile they are.  They are based on the small Mercs rather than Nissans and underpowered as hell.  Really not a pleasant drive, even as a local shopping car only.

Here you go.

Yes its 3 years old but no mileage to talk of, looks well kept and has pretty much all the gizmos you will get on the Q60.

Plus its the 3.7 non-turbo from the 370 so you can have lots of fun with tuning it, and its massively cheaper :)

Q70 with a decent engine and sport suspension

Edited by Toon Chris

It it were me it would be either a 997 or more realistically a 981with a pdk gearbox as it is absolutely sublime.

The current gen evoras are decent cars, even though lotus seem to insist on releasing a new variant on a weekly basis!

Other than that all I can think of is the F-Type or perhaps a corvette? 

On 9/16/2017 at 10:19, Toon Chris said:

I recently got to drive a lot of the inifinti range when my fx30 was in for work (Q70).  Driving all of them made me realise how good the big Q70 is.  Its remarkably quick even in the corners thanks to sports suspension and a small/quick steering system.  The Q50 console was horrid, a terrible interior with too many screens  that did too little.  Trying to put that ugliness to one side the 2.0 engine i had was 'spirited' and pleasant to use.  the suspension was a soft as your grannys ass though and my 2+ tonne car easily surpassed it.  I'd hope the Q60 was better but give it a real workout as it could be disappointing after the Z.  You really need the sports suspension option if possible - not the silly setting that makes no darn difference via the console - the proper air-shock setting that actually make a difference.

A word of warning also about the automatics; it may be that I have a more sluggish turbo-diesel but the gear changes are not rapid and being a less well known car it's not possible to get the ecu altered.  In other words, tuning options are very limited past a decent sound out of the exhaust and the box may be configured for the more sedate gentleman.  Make sure it performs like a sports car before you buy!  The paddle system works rather well though.

Lastly, for anyone, don't ever bother with the Q30.  What a pile they are.  They are based on the small Mercs rather than Nissans and underpowered as hell.  Really not a pleasant drive, even as a local shopping car only.

Yeah they may not be the most top end of sports driving but there pretty good as Infiniti seem to put sportyness over comfort type setting on a lot of their big V6 engined cars.  The 'M' or Q70 as its now called, with its refresh is a bit of a looker IMO, different but in a bulky big luxury 'MOVE OUT MY WAY' kinda look lol Set with the 20inchers you get and it can look the business and is bigger in stance than its rivals, so gives a more meaty appearance.  I've tried the hybrid V6 and it shifts alright. Q50 is not bad, I've only ever tried diesels... I can deal with the interior, lets be honest its Aston Martin quality compared to my plastic 350Z's basic nothingness lol I've not tried the Q60 yet but I'll be asking for a go in a 3.0 at some point to try out, certainly looks the business and feels it when sitting inside. More luxury GT with thumping go than out and out sports coupe, which is fine I like GT's.  For it to be in for a shout of my Z's replacement though it'll be the suspension and steering. I don';t expect it to be as good as the Z, the 350's really is pretty good for what it is (having tried more expensive stuff).  If the suspension holds up round corners and the steering settings (stupid electric guff) can be made to be somewhat weighted and give some sort of confidence then I'd be sold. The 400hp doesn't need to prove itself lol  You're right about the Q30 though its crap...also who thought one stalk was a good idea?

I was in exactly the same boat when looking at moving on from the Z. 

It came down to a choice between having the power/performance I wanted or having the body style I wanted (2 door Coupe).  Ideally I'd be driving a modern rear wheel drive coupe coupe with 300+ BHP but within my budget it wasn't really possible. 

• Like 1