Help needed deciding on which discs and pads

Jack94

Hi everyone 

Sorry to post another thread on this sort of topic  but I need new discs and pads all round and despite researching it a lot, I can't make my mind up! :headhurt:

I'm open to suggestions but basically the options I've narrowed it down to are-

- Standard oem brembo discs/pads: £300 

- MTEC dimpled & slotted discs with brembo pads: £300

- DBA T2 discs with hawk HPS pads: £600 

- Stoptech discs/pads: £700

I use the car as my daily and never track it so I'm hoping for something that is at least as good as the standard brembos (hot and cold), won't squeel and that will last as long/longer before they wear out? 

The car has standard brakes at the moment which I'm pretty happy with so I'm not sure whether to just stick with them? Equally I don't mind spending a bit of extra money upgrading them because in the back of my head I keep thinking they could make the difference between a close call and a bad situation one day...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. 

On 09/07/2017 at 06:12, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

I'd say go for the Dba t2 discs but use ds2500 pads. Never used hawks so can't comment on them.

Thanks for the input, any particular reason you'd recommend the DBA's? 

On 09/07/2017 at 07:52, glrnet said:

Hawk pads are the best pads I've had on the car and are excellent for road use..

Cheers, have you tried many other pads? And is it the Hawk HPS you're using? 

On 09/07/2017 at 12:07, Adrian@TORQEN said:

StopTech discs with StopTech pads or Hawk HPS pads are our most popular choices. Always in stock, we’re doing a 10% discount at the moment on the Stoptech discs, see our SALE thread here:

Thanks Adrian, I read that review and sounds like the OP really likes them! Are the prices on your site with the 10% discount for the discs? 

And would you recommend the hawk or Stoptech pads to go with them? 

On 11/07/2017 at 14:39, bc1987 said:

Just fitted an RTS performance set. Look great, work great, were not bank destroying.

20170702_173402.jpg

Hadn't heard of RTS before but can see Tarmac sell them, they look good and seem to get decent reviews!  What pads are you running? 

On 11/07/2017 at 21:10, m1ke13 said:

I've had the MTEC on mine for 12 months now and they are great, not tracked them at all but they feel much better than standard, not had the others to compare to though unfortunately. 

Thanks for the info, I'm kinda put off MTEC after reading a lot of reviews of them failing under high stress which I'm guessing is because they're cheaper. What sort of driving do you use the car for?

3 hours ago, Jack94 said:

Hadn't heard of RTS before but can see Tarmac sell them, they look good and seem to get decent reviews!  What pads are you running? 

Thanks for the info, I'm kinda put off MTEC after reading a lot of reviews of them failing under high stress which I'm guessing is because they're cheaper. What sort of driving do you use the car for?

Sorry just seen this - I'm just running brembo pads at the moment, got some ds2500 on order for track use.

Thanks again for the replies, good to get a feel of everyone's experiences :) Glad to hear you guys haven't had any problems with MTEC but there seems to be a lot of people out there that have (more so than DBA or Stoptech anyway) so I think I'll steer clear. I'd rather pay a bit extra and not risk it!

On another note, can anyone on here that's running ceramic pads (such as the Hawks) tell me if they're dramatically better when they're hot? 

I'm really tempted to give them a try seeing as they supposedly make less dust, wear the discs less & are quiet, the only thing that worries me a bit is there seems to be a lot of contradicting reviews about how effective they are when cold.

Even if they're as good as oem cold, if they're way way better hot then knowing me I'll go into a corner one day relying on how good my brakes are, forget they're cold and end up in a hedge or something.. :headhurt:

Edited by Jack94

I know what you mean and neither do I seeing as I want the engine to last :lol: But could quite easily be in a situation where the car is hot but the brakes are cold? e.g. Say you're cruising down the motorway and it's not very busy so you don't touch the brakes for ages. 

I've got DBA T3 discs and the Hawk pads - very impressed with the setup and have never noticed any cold issues.

Just done a decent trackday with them, and was pretty impressed with how long they lasted before brake fade kicked in too. As people say, the Hawk's don't give off too much dust either.

So I decided to go with standard brembos in the end which I ordered off eBay and received today. Not sure if I'm just being paranoid but they seem a little off to me.. The disc faces aren't particularly smooth, have marks on, and it's almost like the whole disc has been sprayed with a silver rattle can or something because there's what looks like overspray on the non contact bits that are supposed to be black. 

Ive only had a few years working as a mechanic but I can safely say I've never seen any new discs look like that, anyone else got any thoughts??

15010774729361922990543.jpg

Again im not a mechanic but they look really off. Seen new discs go onto a fair few cars while ive been waiting for my parents when i was younger and ive never seen them with that sort of dusty silver look to them. Unless maybe its a protective coating for transport?

I've fitted loads of discs and they've always have a clean, smooth finish on the contact surface. Like I said I'm pretty sure they've been sprayed silver  (God knows why) that's what's given them that finish and that's why there's silver flakes in the black bits. Seems very dodgy to me and hopefully eBay will agree and make the seller pay postage so I can return them! 

Serves me right I guess, should've gone with euro car parts that were only slightly more expensive rather than a seller I'd never heard of. 

Do you think they've been refaced then sprayed to look new? We sometimes get them in with that sparkly finish, but its more uniform. Only other thing to suggest is to get a micrometer and measure the thickness, new discs should be 30mm thick