lucky

TT350

Arguably yes, Al Qaeda have been significantly quieter in the last few years, but then I doubt that's just down to getting rid of Bin Laden.

When you look at the way many Western countries have formed, there's been civil wars and people killing one another, it's bloody and horrible, eventually someone won. Some places ceased to exist. They didn't have a democracy parcel air dropped in from NATO strapped to a bomb. People need to sort it out for themselves.

True, and up to a point that's my preferred viewpoint as well. However the world is a much smaller place now, and of course money talks (as does angry Russians with much bigger bombs than us, hence the reason we're not quite ready to poke that bear yet) but morally I don't think we should sit by and let people with the ideology that IS has make any steps forward. If it were simply a case of an internal dispute, let's use Syria as an example, where you have a domestic rebellion then I'm all for sitting back and seeing what happens. Trouble is that led to a power vacuum that IS utilised, and IS have no intention of leaving the evil West alone like Syria under any government would. We had to act.

My problem isn't with the West interfering with other countries, it's more that we're too choosy in where we interfere. There's some proper evil b*stards in Africa that we seem happy to leave alone, and I don't see how that can be right.

We are monitored all the time dude, i have a friend who makes a very good living from cyber security, stuff he has told me is positively scary, Keep typing in the wrong words and see how quickly you get a visit, dark web or not, hidden ip or not ;) There is a reason why most of these terrorists are known.

Your friend is feeding you a lot of rubbish. There are lots of ways to stay well hidden on internet, including dark web: VPN, encrypted traffic etc.

Weren't the FBI begging apple to unlock a phone quite recently?

Didn't we have a parade of MPs asking for encryption "back doors" recently?

They can't even access Whatsapp messages! It's not like it's a Defence Grade Comms tool.

Too busy cataloging the unsecured billions of text messages from unsecured devices about the Great British Bake Off.

:lol:

• Like 3

How long until all religion is banned?

Actually an interesting question. Religion makes us feel like its something very old and has been around forever. In actual fact its relatively new. Bizarrely it may seem but I remember reading an article when debates about brexit and locking our borders was up as to where we all came from, we are all African in descent you know ;) Anyway, something like 200,000 years ago Homosapien evolved which is effectively us, it wasn't until 198,000 years later we invented something called Christianity. It took 195,000 years or there or there about for Hinduism to appear and so on. So relatively modern religions like this are fairly new invention. There are also something like 4000 religions in the world. (all numbers from memory so don't quote me!)

Funny what you end up digressing onto in terms of reading when thinking about borders and brexit :lol:

• Like 1

It does seem like ISIS et al are doing what we did in the crusades in the robin hood era: follow our religion or die. For me religion is up there with Santa, nice when you're a kid making death seem less tragic, providing basics of how to be a good person etc, but a little redundant after childhood. I know people who are religious though, and would never try to stop them being, as long as they don't waste there breath making me start being.

• Like 1

we are all African in descent you know ;)

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0177127

"Europe, not Africa, might have spawned the first members of the human evolutionary family around 7 million years ago, researchers say. The scientific consensus long has been that hominins originated in Africa. This is not helped by the fact that the Greek jawbone - nicknamed El Graeco - has a heavily worn surface. However, researchers analyzing two fossils - a jawbone from a German museum and an upper premolar from a collection in Bulgaria - concluded their ages to be roughly 7.2 million years, and belonging to a pre-human. "Our research shows that the earliest humans may have evolved in Europe"."

We are monitored all the time dude, i have a friend who makes a very good living from cyber security, stuff he has told me is positively scary, Keep typing in the wrong words and see how quickly you get a visit, dark web or not, hidden ip or not ;) There is a reason why most of these terrorists are known.

Your friend is feeding you a lot of rubbish. There are lots of ways to stay well hidden on internet, including dark web: VPN, encrypted traffic etc.

Dont take this the wrong way, i know who i believe thanks ;)

Not that I subscribe to it but my mum's religion, which was the door knocking ones, refuse to go to war or take part in any politics. He'll they don't even allow you to go to self defence classes. 100% passive. They went to jail frequently during the 2nd world war.

Although my brother (same religion as my mum) is the most angry, volatile and aggressive person I know and has no qualms about physically threatening me or indeed acting on those threats!

The Bible foretells the banning of religion. But, again - pinch of salt.

Edited by TT350

Exactly, who you believe, but this is not a religion, it's a simple tech fact. There are quite a few distinguish members here on the forum with serious IT background :)

They see you via your web cam

They know when you're awake

They know if what you've been googling is bad or good

So be good for goodness sake!

GCHQ are coming to town.

• Like 2

Exactly, who you believe, but this is not a religion, it's a simple tech fact. There are quite a few distinguish members here on the forum with serious IT background :)

I'm one of them. One of my friends is a well known black hat, I personally am on the white side more (security), but this guy is good, really good. The fact of the matter is if they want you, they'll get you and it has nothing to do with encryption being difficult to crack (a supercomputer can crack 128 bit encryption in a few weeks if needed, by the way, sometimes sooner, it's a matter of luck). Since computers became more secure, hacking methods became more mechanical. Finding the weak link in the organisation whose password is 'manuforever', or 'iamgod', or the guy who opens emails without checking them, installing a silent keystroke recorder, etc etc. It only takes one guy on the network to screw up and everyone is exposed.

The bottom line is this... If you aren't doing anything serious, or aren't a person of note, nobody wants you and you don't really have to worry too much about security beyond making sure you're using malwarebytes, adblock and a decent antivirus. If they want you though, there is nothing whatsoever you can do. That's it, nothing more. If my mate wants into your bank accounts, he'll do it, and you'd have to be following the NSA's best practice book to the absolute letter if you want to stand a chance of protecting yourself from him, and even then... Those who do it for love will always do it better than those who do it for money.

So the truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle.

They see you via your web cam

They know when you're awake

They know if what you've been googling is bad or good

So be good for goodness sake!

GCHQ are coming to town.

Disable the webcam in your device settings by uninstalling the drivers.

Finding the weak link in the organisation whose password is... 'iamgod'

:scare: :scare:

*hurriedly changes password*

You're part of an organisation?! :lol: :lol:

The first rule of this organisation etc.

:lol:

• Like 1

I'm one of them. One of my friends is a well known black hat, I personally am on the white side more (security), but this guy is good, really good. The fact of the matter is if they want you, they'll get you and it has nothing to do with encryption being difficult to crack (a supercomputer can crack 128 bit encryption in a few weeks if needed, by the way, sometimes sooner, it's a matter of luck).

Have a quick read on Whatsapp encryption white paper here: https://www.whatsapp...-Whitepaper.pdf

Also check out Signal app encryption methods: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(software)

Crack these and you'll be sorted for life, working for Cellebrite - http://www.cellebrite.com :lol:

I'm one of them. One of my friends is a well known black hat, I personally am on the white side more (security), but this guy is good, really good. The fact of the matter is if they want you, they'll get you and it has nothing to do with encryption being difficult to crack (a supercomputer can crack 128 bit encryption in a few weeks if needed, by the way, sometimes sooner, it's a matter of luck). Since computers became more secure, hacking methods became more mechanical. Finding the weak link in the organisation whose password is 'manuforever', or 'iamgod', or the guy who opens emails without checking them, installing a silent keystroke recorder, etc etc. It only takes one guy on the network to screw up and everyone is exposed.

The bottom line is this... If you aren't doing anything serious, or aren't a person of note, nobody wants you and you don't really have to worry too much about security beyond making sure you're using malwarebytes, adblock and a decent antivirus. If they want you though, there is nothing whatsoever you can do. That's it, nothing more. If my mate wants into your bank accounts, he'll do it, and you'd have to be following the NSA's best practice book to the absolute letter if you want to stand a chance of protecting yourself from him, and even then... Those who do it for love will always do it better than those who do it for money.

So the truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle.

Shame they cannot spend some time catching the buggers who set up ransomeware and the like that wipes out A&E wards...or I suspect, they cannot find them at all.

When the muppets at the US intelligence services let random people get their hands on the code used to create this kind of stuff, all of a sudden, the list of people doing it grows substantially. The intelligence services have the same dilemma, they have to decide who is worth using the resources to go after.

Adrian, all encryption methods these days are strong, and stronger ones will come, sadly this is irrelevant. For years it's been beyond the amateur, and it will never reach a level where it can stop a western government (lest we forget, they did crack that iphone without apples help, they just wanted an easier way).

Its all about social engineering these days, nobody's trying to break encryption any more, they'll try to get your login info by other far cleverer ways, or by exploiting a far weaker process than encryption to get in through a different door (like windows). For example, one of the most common methods of hacking a password, is to spy on the computer through a window using a powerful telescope from far away, you can see what people are typing, sometimes they'll even use reflective surfaces in a room if a direct path to the keyboard isn't available. It really is that simple if you have time and resurces and want someone bad enough.

Edited by Aashenfox

Adrian, all encryption methods these days are strong, and stronger ones will come, sadly this is irrelevant. For years it's been beyond the amateur, and it will never reach a level where it can stop a western government (lest we forget, they did crack that iphone without apples help, they just wanted an easier way).

This!

The news today also confirms as i "jumped to conclusions" the guy was known to the security services, so just confirms that whilst we may have the one of the toughest counter terrorist law, its not enough, more needs to be done.