lucky

TT350

Didn't know that about Japan, so i consider myself enlightened, cheers :D .

I agree some people use genuine concerns as a mask, but then others I suppose get accused of it when they're genuine.

• Like 1

Basically referring to any people or culture by a nickname is considered bad, eg 'Chink' 'Yank' and the obvious for anyone from the Pakistani country. Apparently they don't like it. But, conversely, are more than happy to call us: Limey, Guailo (Chinese for white devil), Gajin (thank you Tokyo drift), Pomme, Brit etc etc.

If it wasn't for gingers, we'd have no one to nickname in this way.

They're exactly the sort of things which would be on the list, but who is it out there pining for the "good old days" when you called someone a chink or paki?

I don't want to go back to that, particularly, although Paki is a perfectly fine abbreviation of the word Pakistani if you ask me, and I assume they don't find Pakistani insulting? It's a good example really, I don't call Pakis pakis (and I do, to my wife, or when I'm not in company, and so do most of you, don't deny it, for the reason I'm about to state) because I don't like them, I call them pakis because it's half as many syllables. Great case in point. Here's another...why is it that only one of these statements will get you into trouble?

You fat bastard

You tall bastard

You black bastard.

Surely, the insult here is 'bastard', the adjective is incidental, AND the fact is, between a fat, a tall and a black person, there is no better way of characterising them. It's completely natural to describe an object based on its strongest characteristic, it's how our brains work by default. PC-ness has made us have to process that sentence, stop us saying it, think of some other criteria to use and then still call that guy a bastard, only with a less effective adjective! Durrrrrr...something disconnects here.

Yeh, it would be nice if every special snowflake's first reaction wasn't to deliberately misunderstand and take any excuse they can to nail you to the wall, but hey, I too am a dreamer. :)

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

The difficulty is, if you call an Indian man a Paki, that's very offensive as the 2 cultures don't get along. I guess that as language evolves meanings change, and what starts off as short hand and abbreviation starts getting used as an insult, then becomes offensive to use.

I've been told off for referring to eating a Chinese takeaway as having a chinky before. Aside from recalling that incident just then, I don't do so any more.

Generally if someone called me a fat white f*cker I'd be more irritated by the fat f*cker bit than the colour of my skin, however you then have the issue of white privilege to deal with and I'm not convinced we'd be able to have a reasonable debate about that on here, or any mainly white male-based forum.

• Like 1

An interesting point Stu. I'm not exactly pining for them, but do you feel any frustration that as a country we are openly ridiculed by other nationalities in the above mentioned ways, I'm sure (but can't prove it) even in mainstream media? Just because as a country we have a great sense of humour and can laugh at ourselves, its ok for others to laugh too, but we can't laugh at them?

Kind of a tongue in cheek ending to this, because in all honesty, yes its annoying, but i don't loose sleep: look at how we're ridiculed at Eurovision. Are we really that sh*t? Hells Naw

Lol as a minority at school, "we" got called allsorts. Real mouthfuls.And our mothers would get dragged into it too!

"you white son of a b***h mother f*****r I bummed your mum upside down a thousand times, chita gora mother f****r I'll knock you out!!!"

And we just took it. At least they were creative lol.

• Like 1

An interesting point Stu. I'm not exactly pining for them, but do you feel any frustration that as a country we are openly ridiculed by other nationalities in the above mentioned ways, I'm sure (but can't prove it) even in mainstream media? Just because as a country we have a great sense of humour and can laugh at ourselves, its ok for others to laugh too, but we can't laugh at them?

Kind of a tongue in cheek ending to this, because in all honesty, yes its annoying, but i don't loose sleep: look at how we're ridiculed at Eurovision. Are we really that sh*t? Hells Naw

Lol as a minority at school, "we" got called allsorts. Real mouthfuls.And our mothers would get dragged into it too!

"you white son of a b***h mother f*****r I bummed your mum upside down a thousand times, chita gora mother f****r I'll knock you out!!!"

But surely the solution to you getting abuse isn't just giving someone else abuse?

• Like 1

But surely the solution to you getting abuse isn't just giving someone else abuse?

I never abused anyone. Where did you get that in my post? It's odd how lefties can spot and imply injustice where there is none, lol. Perhaps even giving an account of experiences should be quashed if they're not a glowing positive reference?

Anyway, no, we just kept a low profile! Stayed off their radar of wrath.

Doesn't always work though. One of my old friends from primary school was murdered in Glodwick which is/was a no go zone for whitey and he was just lost and passing through.

I never abused anyone. Where did you get that in my post? It's odd how lefties can spot and imply injustice where there is none, lol. Perhaps even giving an account of experiences should be quashed if they're not a glowing positive reference?

Doesn't always work though. One of my old friends from primary school was murdered in Glodwick which is/was a no go zone for whitey and he was just lost and passing through.

Sorry, I really wasn't intending to suggest you dished it out.

I meant that if someone is getting stick, hurling abuse (un-PC or PC) isn't the way forward.

Something is only insulting if the victim deems it so, regardless of the intent.

Does that work for those not necessarily fully aware of their surroundings, people with learning disabilities?

It's ok to give them abuse if they don't understand?

Sorry, I really wasn't intending to suggest you dished it out.

I meant that if someone is getting stick, hurling abuse (un-PC or PC) isn't the way forward.

No its not the way forward. But such is our nature as humans. Right or wrong.

I, for one, don't like to harbour rage and vengeance because it just consumes you. It's much better and much healthier to let go of it. If I think someone's a twonk, regardless of colour, origin send faith, then they're a twonk. It crosses all cultures and religions.

That's how I operate as an individual. Not because I'm told to by law. Sometimes I have politically incorrect views, but on the other hand some things I'm far more PC about.

It's not so (no pun intended) black and white.

• Like 1

So lets ask a question, if someone called a black fella, a black fuc*er and said black fella wasnt offended by said comment, why should anyone else be, let alone someone white being pc?

Edited by Jetpilot

Something is only insulting if the victim deems it so, regardless of the intent.

Does that work for those not necessarily fully aware of their surroundings, people with learning disabilities?

It's ok to give them abuse if they don't understand?

I'm inclined to say yes, it still works, but really it depends on the extent. At the end of the day, if they aren't insulted, then there's no hard feelings.

However, that's not to say the insulter isn't still an utter **** and I never said it was okay, just that it's not insulting.

So lets ask a question, if someone called a black fella, a black fuc*er and said black fella wasnt offended by said comment, why should anyone else be, let alone someone white being pc?

That's kinda the point I'm trying to make.

Whether someone is offensive should be determined by the target.

Edited by Strudul

Problem with that is (and historically this was always the problem) is the lack of people speaking up about what is offensive. Still happens a lot even in this day and age.

I am not condoning it just asking the question, lets say you know the dude and he wasnt offended, would you be or should anyone else be offended?

Yes I would be offended but in a way that something that generally is offensive, that might not offend the occasional individual (for whatever reason) simply means that they are given permission to continue to use that offensive term against other people. I always hear comments of the like 'yeah me and good old blacky always call each other stuff never hurt anyone' as a way of justifying embedded racism, that because their mate laughs about it its fine to use that language against anyone.

The solution I think is education around what people are saying, how quite frankly backwards they sound when they say it in public and the lack of understanding around particular language use.

The problem is language is always changing. Going back to Stu's word gay, it used to mean happy, then became homosexual, than became slang for rubbish, I'm no longer down with the kids so might mean fish now, for all I know.

I guess the context of most words has more of an impact, how and when they're used. If some one is squaring up to me and called me a white milky fu***r, id be offended. If my black mate called it me in the pub over a beer, i'd laugh.