Second car, your thoughts......

shire350Z

As the zed spends most of its time in the garage with my transit being the workhorse it's not so much a second car for me but a first car for the better half.

We're wanting a sort of 'do it all' car so safe, practical, spacious (kid carrying for the future) capable to get about in all weather but still looking stylish etc etc.

So this leads me down the small SUV route. Considering most but at the forefront and favourites are the Merc GLC Coupe , Porsche Macan S and Jaguar F Pace but not ruling out discovery sport, Audi Q5, VW Tiguan, BMW X4

Just wondered if any of you guys owned any of the above said cars and what your thoughts were :thumbs:

Really? I think the Edge is quite striking, and I'd love the extra £10K in my pocket :lol:

Q5 it is then. Trouble is, with everything else on your list you're going to be hitting the options list pretty hard unless you're careful.

Well won't be just a run around it will be our lasses main car doing around 12k miles a year and the one we both go out in at the weekend when we're wanting a little bit of luxury instead of noise and a stiff ride in the zed "lol"

Think the Q5 is looking a little dated but still a very nice car. Porsche rape you on the options but there limited as in if you still want alcantara which is standard with leather but a electrically controlled passenger seat you can't, you have to have all leather and pay for that premium (losing the alcantara you actually want) where as the Merc, Audi etc give you more options to personalise the car

I've sat in an F-Pace and wasnt particularly impressed with the interior quality, but my friend's just bought a 66-plate Tiguan and it's a real let down if you ask me. I'd want a lot more car for my money. Very average (although the ICE is quite nice).

The 14-on X3 and 15-on X5's look good. Not been in one yet but the interior pics look great. You should be able to find a Q5 with the Virtual Cockpit though which might be appealing!

I've sat in an F-Pace and wasnt particularly impressed with the interior quality, but my friend's just bought a 66-plate Tiguan and it's a real let down if you ask me. I'd want a lot more car for my money. Very average (although the ICE is quite nice).

The 14-on X3 and 15-on X5's look good. Not been in one yet but the interior pics look great. You should be able to find a Q5 with the Virtual Cockpit though which might be appealing!

Which Tiguan spec was it? We're going to look at the R line model with which you still make a considerable saving other most other SUV's talked about

Was at porsche yesterday and accordingly to the sales guy who was previously a ' Porsche genius' (what a job title) it isn't possible

Bobbins, it'll be available via the Exclusive range. Everything is, that's the point of Exclusive! :lol:

I think it's the Tiguan SE-Nav. He's got cloth seats but plenty of electronics. Its the crappy dash plastics that really let it down, as well as the apparent lack of sound deadening leading to a cheap sounding cabin noise. Not sure whether either of those would be cured with an R. :shrug: Compared to my 11 year old Range Rover Sport it's not half as nice in my opinion (and i HATE my interior!)

We're wanting a sort of 'do it all' car so safe, practical, spacious (kid carrying for the future) capable to get about in all weather but still looking stylish etc etc.

So this leads me down the small SUV route. Considering most but at the forefront and favourites are the Merc GLC Coupe , Porsche Macan S and Jaguar F Pace but not ruling out discovery sport, Audi Q5, VW Tiguan, BMW X4

I never quite got why SUVs are so popular, but after owing one for 3 weeks I wouldn't go back to a 'normal' car, especially if you have kids.

Having extra space for kids rubbish makea life so easy when it comes to packing. We went to see the grandparents this weekend, previously packing was like a jigsaw puzzel, but this time literally just threw everything in and went. Didn't even have to dismantle the feeding chair or trike.

Just make sure the car you get actually has space inside. Alot of the more 'stylish' SUVs aren't that big inside which kinda of defeats the point. You might also want to think about 6/7 seater options if you really are planning kids and this will be the family wagon. Been able to transport extra adults/kids in comfort is another thing I'm really loving....and trust me your own parents will suddenly want to see you so much more once sprogs arrive!!

Also don't be worried about size. I taken mine every where, even on unclassified roads in the Brecon Beacons with bankholiday traffic it was fine, and parking hasn't been an issue either :).

Edited by gangzoom

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Join the club...

Amazingly practical and comfortable with supercar beating performance. What's not to like?

That 6.4 Hemi V8 rumble....

Or a X5M, I use a used one is just over £40k. Humm but I suspect it'll make the Z feel like a Prius when you arrive at the pumps!!

How about my 2014 Nismo Juke for £11k ?

Sold our Juke Nismo as spacious it was not. Pushchair only fit in the boot if you took the wheels off and with a rear facing car seat the front passenger had their knees up by there ears.

Sold our Juke Nismo as spacious it was not. Pushchair only fit in the boot if you took the wheels off and with a rear facing car seat the front passenger had their knees up by there ears.

Did you not know you could remove the cardboard/wood boot base and the cavinous space under that literally doubled the size of the stock boot? We had our juke for 4 years from new - was one of the first people in our area to buy one. We took it on our yearly 2 week holiday down to Cornwall each year, and with a new baby at the time, had to take push chair, travel cot, blankets, milk, bottles, billions of nappies, food, toys, not to mention enough clothes for 2 adults for 2 weeks.

We used the passenger seat to store more stuff and the 2nd adult sat in the back to keep the baby/toddler entertained. Cant say I noticed any lack of room in passenger seat with baby seat behind it during normal use, but we may have had a different seat on our ISO base.

Whilst the OP said he doesnt like the American look of the Ford Edge, id highly recommend one. We got one before Christmas and it really is a tank, can fit 2 pushchairs in the boot without even noticing them. Prior to that, we upgraded from the Juke to the Ford Kuga when we got baby 2, but I never really liked the Kuga. We looked at the alternatives to the Edge and just couldnt justify the extra cost. To top it up, the insurance on the Edge was actually cheaper than the older Kuga it replaced.

Speaking of insurance if you are planning to keep the 350z then you`ll have no NCB to use on the SUV which may make it a bit steap, unless your missus has her own NCB she can use.

Jeep Commander, Cherokee or Mitsubishi Shogun would be my choices, own the commander, brilliant v8 brute and reliable as anything and 7 seats. Mate had the Shogun lwb 7 seater also a great car. I am biased though as I like my 4x4 to look and feel like they are go anywhere do anything type of cars. Really dislike kid on 4x4 suv's.

Did you not know you could remove the cardboard/wood boot base and the cavinous space under that literally doubled the size of the stock boot? We had our juke for 4 years from new - was one of the first people in our area to buy one. We took it on our yearly 2 week holiday down to Cornwall each year, and with a new baby at the time, had to take push chair, travel cot, blankets, milk, bottles, billions of nappies, food, toys, not to mention enough clothes for 2 adults for 2 weeks.

We used the passenger seat to store more stuff and the 2nd adult sat in the back to keep the baby/toddler entertained. Cant say I noticed any lack of room in passenger seat with baby seat behind it during normal use, but we may have had a different seat on our ISO base.

Whilst the OP said he doesnt like the American look of the Ford Edge, id highly recommend one. We got one before Christmas and it really is a tank, can fit 2 pushchairs in the boot without even noticing them. Prior to that, we upgraded from the Juke to the Ford Kuga when we got baby 2, but I never really liked the Kuga. We looked at the alternatives to the Edge and just couldnt justify the extra cost. To top it up, the insurance on the Edge was actually cheaper than the older Kuga it replaced.

Speaking of insurance if you are planning to keep the 350z then you`ll have no NCB to use on the SUV which may make it a bit steap, unless your missus has her own NCB she can use.

The boot was poorly designed as it wasted space with the false floor and the massive plastic spare wheel tray that just held a can of tyre gunk on the Nismo, making it deeper didnt really help us though. We didn't want the hassle of playing Tetris every time we went out shopping with the pushchair so upgraded to a 520d M Sport Tourer.

The boot was poorly designed as it wasted space with the false floor and the massive plastic spare wheel tray that just held a can of tyre gunk on the Nismo, making it deeper didnt really help us though. We didn't want the hassle of playing Tetris every time we went out shopping with the pushchair so upgraded to a 520d M Sport Tourer.

Fair enough. With the floor & plastic wheel tray removed on our juke, we used to get our entire buggy/pram thing (oyster) under the floor of the boot without removing any wheels etc. Then with the fake floor replaced it gave you the whole boot still. Anyway, still nowhere near as roomy as a 520d Tourer :thumbs: