GP on English Roads

Strudul

Didn't see a thread on this.

Monaco-style Grands Prix events could be hosted on English roads under new laws coming into force on Monday.

They will allow motorsport promoters to apply for permission from local authorities to close public roads in England to stage races.

The government said the move "could be a real boost" to tourism.

The final decision on whether a race is safe to proceed would be made by councils, police and other local bodies.

Motoring fixtures from small-scale local events to international races, such as a city-based Grand Prix, could get the green light.

US street circuits in racing games are the bane of my life. Ah, great, 23 90 degree corners one after the other. Variation for the win!

I can think of loads of great locations. Anyone else familiar with the Kingston one way system? Like it was designed first to be a racetrack, then a one way system.

Bet it never does. Councils will have no interest in approving anything, as it'll cost them a fortune to do and the police have better things to do. Without the yes from those two camps, it's nothing more than a publicity stunt IMHO.

• Like 3

They struggle now to fill and repair potholes. My local council did pull their finger out for the Tour de France some years back.

I suppose it could work if certain revenues from racing were diverted to a particular stretch of road but unlikely.

I imagine there would be some great locations for some proper long hill climbs, relatively easy to shut down/manage one road, but agree with Ekona, apart from the councils, the health and safety exec would shut it down before its even started.

I also think the roads are too busy these days. Its carnage when roads are closed due a fun run let alone a weekend of racing. I just don't think the infrastructure can take it these days. I like the idea though. I'm a bit behind on rally, but do we still get wrc on British roads? I think id rather watch that. Plus the pot holes aren't as devastating on a car like that.