Exhaust Mod BHP Increase?

DrMurderDeath

Hi Everybody,

My insurance company has asked me if there is a power gain from my new Invidia Gemini Exhaust system when I notified them, I have read somewhere that the ECU will maintain the same performance regardless of aftermarket exhaust unless I tune it, is this true?

I guessed with the insurance company and said around 10BHP and now they want to cancel the policy! (The AA)

I am getting quotes elsewhere but if I don't have to change that would be better.

Thanks

I believe that's correct, won't be any HP increase without a tune, or it only lasts for a short period or something.

You could just claim it has no HP increase, not like they can prove otherwise. As long as it's declared you have an aftermarket exhaust it should be fine.

Twats. ..... I'm with aviva on the moddified cover. My car is modded to death, I notify them every time I change anything and have yet to see an increase in premiums. All the n/a power mods, uprev'd etc etc and they still didn't bother and cover my cars body mods as well, all on a like for like replacement policy and less than £300. A simple change in exhaust and they want to cancel ???, that's rediculous.

Edited by Irn Bru

Iv been looking at renewal quotes today out of interest (its not till June and I'll be 26 by then and 4 years ncd) anywhoo... 25 years old, 3years ncd, license for 7 years... unmodded insurance on money supermarket was £1040... modded quote (told them about exhaust, wheel spacers, window tint, and said suspension because I'm on lowering spring's and adjustable camber arms) came in at £2120... WOW

This is my first modded car ever, I think I'm going to try the insurers on here when the time comes (Chris Knott, Adrian flux) and see what they say, otherwise possibly remove mods.

(Cheers olly :thumbs: )

Edited by Rob350

Iv been looking at renewal quotes today out of interest (its not till June and I'll be 26 by then and 4 years ncd) anywhoo... 25 years old, 3years ncd, license for 7 years... unmodded insurance on money supermarket was £1040... modded quote (told them about exhaust, wheel spacers, window tint, and said suspension because I'm on lowering spring's and adjustable camber arms) came in at £2120... WOW

This is my first modded car ever, I think I'm going to try the insurers on here when the time comes (Chris Knott, Adrian flux) and see what they say, otherwise possibly remove mods or tell a few white lies and hope for best... but i really don't want to do plan B

Id edit this while you can, its really not wise to admit plan B on an open forum. Its well known that insurance companies check such sites. Especially when both insurers youve mebtioned are on here ;)

• Like 1

I'm getting a Cobra fitted to my 370Z.

My insurance asked if it was cosmetic modification or performance modification. I said neither, it is an 'aural' modification. Unfortunately this is not on their list so had to go for a performance mod even though it will not give me any more power.

Cost is an extra £20 on premium and £25 for the change to policy.

I had already lined up another insurer just in case my existing one had taken the mickey or refused ..

But if the manufacturer states 15hp gains (even if it's bullshit), wouldn't that be grounds enough to void the policy? Yeh, you could go to court and argue that the marketing is wrong and you are right, if you had dyno run sheets, etc, but the courts aren't usually very friendly to the 'boy racer' modders in these types of cases, especially, I would imagine, if the marketing said it increases power, and you told your insurer it didn't. Surely you'd have to go with whatever the manufacturer claimed?

Edited by Aashenfox

I recently declared mods and Hastings Direct said the underwriters would insure the vehicle anymore! We're only talking coil-overs, wheels, exhaust and alike. :shrug:

That's a bit crap. Admiral took between £5-£10 for each of my mods same as you've listed

Edited by PPod