350z and too much time on my hands

Matt007

Ok so whilst the weather was good on the weekend I gave the car a good clean.

It took several hours, but since I've not had it long it deserved some tlc. here is what I did.

Snow Foam (karcher snow foam)

rinsed

washed (Meguairs Gold Class wash)

rinsed again

Wheel cleaner (it was some cheap stuff I had lying around)

washed again (to ensure all dirt was removed)

rinsed again

Tyre spray (Simoniz tyre spray)

dried (using a few microfibre clothes)

Polished (Poorboys polish, mate recommended it)

Buffed

Waxed (Meguairs Gold Class Wax)

Buffed and admire the work.

Then get moaned at by the misses on why I didnt take it to the Turkish car washers down the road. :/

DSC_0950_1.jpg

DSC_0951.jpgDSC_0953.jpg

• Like 5

I was going to buy a clay bar, but took me half hour to do my bonnet on my RX-8, I didnt fancy using it again. Might give it another good clean and clay bar again in a month. Will look at the wheel cleaner cheers. :)

^ Ive gone over my car with a clay mitt, then with a clay bar and the bar still pulled out some crap.

Great work pal, well worth the time and effort. I tend to snow foam and while thats doing its thing, hit the alloys with some wheel clearner, agitate then rinse. An open hose for the final body rinse really helps with the drying stage too.

Edited by davey_83

I've gone over a clay bar with a clay bar and still pulled stuff out ;) you wont get everything, spending more time with a bar will pick up more, but in the interests of time the mitt gets 80% of what the bar would get in 20% of the time.

• Like 2

Conversely I've gone over a clay mitt (well, cloth) with a clay bar and it's pulled nothing else out. I've then done another section with just the clay bar and it's pulled something out so the clay mitts (well, cloths) do work. As with anything it'll depend on how well you use it and even then results may vary. Also depends on how aggressive the clay mitt/bars are comparative to each other.

*In the spirit of fairness, I've also gone over clay bar with both a more aggressive and less aggressive clay bar with varied results. Unsurprisingly the more aggressive tends to pull out more than the less.

+1 for the clay mitt. Additionally you can get the Farecla one at Hafrauds for about 8 kwid and it works a treat. Tried it on my sons Fiesta first and it now feels like glass. Also just use your wash bucket with shampoo in it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a load of clay bars off ebay. big ones too. Meguiars are crazily over priced.

For detailing lube just use water with a small amount of car shampoo and a spray bottle. Don't need that overpriced gear.

Edited by TT350

I got a load of clay bars off ebay. big ones too. Meguiars are crazily over priced.

For detailing lube just use water with a small amount of car shampoo and a spray bottle. Don't need that overpriced gear.

Do you have a link to an example of the bars you got from eBay? Wouldn't mind getting some!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all. Weather been abit crap (we had snow in Bristol) so haven't had a chance to go over it again. Needs cleaning because the birds target my car when sh*tting. Bought a Halfords clay mitt, and bilt hamber auto cleaner on amazon so looking forward to using those.

Also anyone got advice on cleaning door cards and leather cleaner. Cheers 😄