[Graphic] I Was Gonna Do The Exhaust Spacer Mod...

Strudul

...but I ran into 2 problems... and I think a fox.

Bit of backstory, I was driving home from Newcastle late Sunday night / very early Monday morning and while driving along the M62 I scraped the bottom of my car on something. At the time I just saw a beige-y splodge on the road and assumed it was a pile of sand / gravel. My undertray hangs down a bit, and occasionally scrapes on stuff, so wasn't too worried, but decided to check my dashcam footage out of curiosity.

Anyway, best guess it was was a dead fox, which was sad, but I thought nothing of it...

Z8kjDSw.jpg

Anyway, fast forward 4 days to today, I was gonna have a crack at the infamous exhaust spacer mod, but it looks like my exhaust isn't compatible:

rJrocuH.jpg

LvEACbQ.jpg

However, while i was having a nosy under there I noticed something hanging down... then some other stuff stuck.... and smeared... and wrapped....

h2jf07Q.jpg

SomDTBd.jpg

Y0RrxaW.jpg

How do I even go about cleaning this off? :yuck:

This should be changed to "I was gonna do the exhaust spacer bodge"

Glad the exhaust itself has told you not to do it. As for the fox, I'd just leave it.

Won't it start to smell? Or will wild animals come lick it off for me?

Gloves, scraper, man pills.

But what if it touches me? :(

• Like 1

Personally i would be focussing some of your epic diy skills on sorting out the rust ;)

Gotta say I feel awesome about my underside with 125k on the clock and 06 plate. Only bit that's not immaculate is the pipe leading to the back box.

And by the looks (and sounds of it), most likely blowing :stir: but what do we know :scare:

Never said it wasn't, just that no trained mechanic has made that diagnosis and no MOT has flagged it. ;)

EDIT: But I'm pretty sure it isn't blowing.

Edited by Strudul

And by the looks (and sounds of it), most likely blowing :stir: but what do we know :scare:

Never said it wasn't, just that no trained mechanic has made that diagnosis and no MOT has flagged it. ;)

Please don't start trying to be a smart ass on this thread as well. It would be nice not to have to close down one of your threads this week :teeth:

• Like 4

You are aware that the great property of stainless is, its DOESNT rust ;)

Wrong.

:lol:

Wait.....you spend all week moaning that people aren't giving suitable explanations and then you simply post a one word answer without backing it up? (I'm not saying you are incorrect by the way).

Just finding you a little bit of a hypocrite.

Wrong.

Wait.....you spend all week moaning that people aren't giving suitable explanations and then you simply post a one word answer without backing it up? (I'm not saying you are incorrect by the way).

Not much point when my opinion is disregarded due to my age / experience, but if you insist, here's a load of other people confirming my point.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358781

Also, linking to your other thread, thats not a stainless exhaust

It should be "T304 British Stainless Steel of 2mm gauge wall".

It's very common to sell low grade stainless as 304 (aka A2), cos nobody can tell the difference until they start to corrode, especially amongst ebay sellers. I'm confident my very shiny allegedly stainless exhaust, is not in fact A2 stainless. Stainless does rust, but different grades have different properties and resistance to corrosion. I expect you have been sold 409 in place of 304 (only a metallurgist can tell the difference), very common in the exhaust market. As I say, I think my exhaust is also low grade, it's not a big deal, just lose their shine quicker.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 2

Wrong.

Not much point when my opinion is disregarded due to my age / experience, but if you insist, here's a load of other people confirming my point.

https://forums.nasio...d.php?t=1358781

I could have confirmed it for you. I work with Stainless Steel, and it does corrode (normally because it's cheap @*!#). It just take a lot more time/weathering for it to happen. Also very much depends on the alloy make up of the steel in question.

So what are your exhaust plans now then?

• Like 1

I could have confirmed it for you. I work with Stainless Steel, and it does corrode (normally because it's cheap @*!#). It just take a lot more time/weathering for it to happen. Also very much depends on the alloy make up of the steel in question.

So what are your exhaust plans now then?

Aye, as I mentioned before, it's supposed to be T304, which is decent, but will still rust, though as Aashen points out it might be something crapper.

Will probably focus on other stuff for now, was only an idea because it was so easy and quick to try out... Still got louvres to finish, and a load of other jobs that I started planning (steering wheel wrap, rust to sort, paint to fix, tyre letters, new discs and pads, new tyres, interior paint / wrap, fix my Bose sub amp / go aftermarket... the list goes on).

I have the same bodge on my exhaust near that section, and it IS blowing slightly, so I ain't gonna judge the bodge or potnetial for blowing, god knows it happens. In my head HFC's are more important.

I don't think it's a bodge. Apparently it's a full aftermarket CBE from Tony Banks in Leeds. (Hence I know the supposed grade SS.)

Edited by Strudul

Wrong.

https://forums.nasio...d.php?t=1358781

Right, I am going to be quite frank here but do take it in the right way.

There are members on here that are younger than you and have less experience but appear to not be 'disregarded' as you put it - why do you think that is? If every young owner on here was bullied or put down on their opinions then I would agree with you, additionally I wouldn't stand for it either and would be PM'ing them with some warnings/bans pronto. But that certainly hasn't been the case since I joined a fair few years ago now.

I read the original exhaust mod, despite people who have owned many performance cars over many decades giving honest opinion (note its opinion, not fact, but in the absence of fact that's what you have to live with...) you pushed it back at them in quite a condescending manner and it got progressively worse for all involved from there. Clearly you like chatting on the forum, you are keen to try stuff, but you need to get this chip off your shoulder about thinking people are out to prove you wrong because you are young/inexperienced. Its not a competition as to 'who is the smartest' on here - its about us all enjoying our cars and making the most of them.

• Like 2