New car, anyone know a drydock for maintenance?

docwra

Realised the other day that my 135i was a bit good and a bit expensive to keep smashing 20K miles onto a year. Business is also going quite well so I thought it was time to treat myself .......

First up was a test drive of an Alfa Giulia QC - amazing car, very quick and felt lovely on the road. Unfortunately test drive was pretty short and didnt give me much of a chance to open it up much but if it had been 45K Id have put a deposit down there and then. Unfortunately £65K and a £22K GFV doesnt add up.

Next was an M2, I manged to find one to drive but when I told them I wasnt going to buy for at least 6 week they said they'd rather not put miles on it, fair enough I suppose. Beautiful car but pretty uninspiring interior, no way to turn TC fully off and 11 month waiting list ........ and still a crap GFV, how does that work? Also much slower than my current steed, doubt it would handle as well either.

Considered Cayman 987/981 but then realised there is no point in having to make a decison which car youre going to take to the Nurburgring, particularly if one is depreciating heavily. So the decision to buy a diesel luxobarge was made!

Following an epic FB thread narrowed choices down to Range Rover, Jag XJ/XF, 7 Series BMW or a phat Merc. Realised I already have a Range Rover, tested an XJ but it didnt ride that well (big wheels), XF would be great as a single car but wasnt really special enough, Mercs were all a bit too sensible or V8 and mega juicy. Drove an E65 730d and loved it, but then this happened:

volkswagen-phaeton-5-0-tdi-v10-4motion-4dr-192331518-1.jpg

volkswagen-phaeton-5-0-tdi-v10-4motion-4dr-192331518-3.jpg

volkswagen-phaeton-5-0-tdi-v10-4motion-4dr-192331518-13.jpg

volkswagen-phaeton-5-0-tdi-v10-4motion-4dr-192331518-2.jpg

For those that dont do a recognise on sight (why would you, theres only 64) its a V10 VW Phaeton. Some specs:

V10, twin turbo diesel - 308hp, 550 lb/ft at 2K RPM

Air suspension, 4 damping settings, 2 ride heights

18 way electrically adjustable seats with heat, aircon, 6 way adjustable lumbar and massage

Draughtless 4 zone climate control, passive heating (wood slides down over the air vents)

Double glazing, 4WD, intelligent gearbox, HBA, EBD, CDC, ASR, ESP, EDL, ABS

And its genuinely awesome - the only car that rides like it is a Rolls, its faster than my brothers 123d and over 100 getting on for as quick as my 430hp 135i and is returning over 30mpg despite being driven like you drive a new car :lol:

totally silent at 80mph, totally isolated from the road, its a weird experience.

Even the missus likes it, its easily the best luxobarge Ive ever traveled in and the best Bahnstormer Ive driven - looking forward to a quick jaunt over to Ostend next week and I bet it doesnt even notice it. Only concern is if anythign goes wrong (a single injector is £1K and it has 10, for instance) but you only live once right? :lol:

Edited by docwra
  • Like 4

My god, that wood interior! You must be a lot older than you look fella ;)

Great purchase, I didn't realise they were so rare either. Any car with a T-shaped gear stick like a jet fighter throttle is okay by me B)

• Like 1

Younger than you mate (I think) ...... :p

Great purchase, I didn't realise they were so rare either. Any car with a T-shaped gear stick like a jet fighter throttle is okay by me B)

It makes V10 noises as well, cant do better than that :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Bollocks :rant:

Car had a few minor issues (boot wouldnt open from buttons, just from the key, handbrake ineffective, one of the rear doors doesnt unlock every time) so mailed dealer about 10 days ago - got told he was on holiday.

Just tried to call and got no answer on any numbers, website is down ......... yep, hes gone out of business. These things happen but whats particularly annoying was that I paid another £200 for an extended warranty (electrics) but he doesnt seem to have actually given my details to the warranty company, marvellous. :rant: :rant: :rant:

So, keep an eye out for Marcus Edgington, I certainly will be.

Hahaha! That was exactly my first impressions! I didnt realise he was a pensioner! ;)

Mad car, but surely when you factor in the running costs, depreciation, insurance etc you may have well just continued to use the 135i ?

• Like 1

Depreciation isnt going to be a lot, I paid £6500 for it. Its better on fuel than the Bimmer at 31 mpg and has gone straight onto a trade policy so insurance isnt a problem.

In the last month BMW has had coilovers, alignment and corner weighting, 2 new front tyres, new front discs, oil cooler, coilpack, plugs .......... Id rather not wear it all out again too quickly :lol:

• Like 2

Depreciation isnt going to be a lot, I paid £6500 for it. Its better on fuel than the Bimmer at 31 mpg and has gone straight onto a trade policy so insurance isnt a problem.

In the last month BMW has had coilovers, alignment and corner weighting, 2 new front tyres, new front discs, oil cooler, coilpack, plugs .......... Id rather not wear it all out again too quickly :lol:

Fair enough! Its also subtle enough looking that you can park it somewhere and not worry too much about it.

Sound purchase mate! I would have gone 7 Series but at least your new monster is something a little different :thumbs:

The 7 I tried was excellent, really nice and ridiculously cheap for what it was but this was a bit special, lets hope it doesnt go wrong eh?

What are you up to these days, still in NE? I should be heading up to visit my mum again soon, let me know if you are and we could catch up over a beer :)