E36 for drifting any advice?

Rob350

Me and a mate have decided to get a drift car going. Both of us are capable of powersiding competently we just want to take it to the next level on a track and learn some real skills, After speaking to people and googling we've decided a 325i E36 is a decent budget drift car to start with for abit of fun for the year.

I thought I'd ask if anyone on here has had any experience with an E36, for common problems and stuff, what to look for when buying etc.

I'm still putting in the hours googling and rummaging threw the bmw forums for these things so I'm not just asking and being lazy about it lol. None of us have owned a bmw before so any advice is good advice in my eyes.

maybe another budget alternative that you know of?? Budget at around £1500

Cheers

How about an LS400. They regularly pop up for ~£500.

Strip it out, weld the diff, cut the springs and you got yourself a sweet V8 drift car. :thumbs:

That's a big old barge to drift. Although they have no shortage of weight to strip out of them.

He has an E46 328i, welded diff, stripped out, buckets and belts. Just getting photos if you're interested? (pm)

It's for sale if you want it,it's based in Birmingham I think.

What kind of price is he after? And mileage?

Whilst in my googling search, I found a few people saying on drift forums and bmw forums that e36 s are abit more reliable than e46 s. Hence why we were thinking e36. Also we will be having to drive it to and from the track, around 35mins away, that's why were after a reliable beast in a way

Good starters just upgrade the radiator.

We were thinking to start by stripping it, Full fluid change, welding diff, changing steering wheel to start with and go from there.

Any recommendation on radiator to upgrade to? Just any decent aftermarket one?

I had a bmw 328i for 4 years and a m50 320i for 5 years , to be fair they are very reliable cars.

The m50 325i is a very strong engine also 192 bhp.

If u get the 323i 2.5 (170bhp)engine make sure its post 1996 so u dont get a nikasil engine and u can fit the 325i inlet manifold and a big bore throttle body to it making it around 200bhp.

Common issues are usually rocker cover gaskets, rear trailing arm bushes, suspension top mounts, rust and brake lines ect tend to be quite common to replace, cooling systems are very weak too and radiators do start to bow when they get old.

Nothing majorly expensive and most things u can do yourself, these cars are very easy to work on.

328i this car was so brutal and tail end happy.

3143173e.jpg

320i i gave this one to my best mate.

Snapchat-5534510478817259920_zpsd914fw8j.jpg

Edited by redzed8
  • Like 1

Had a e36 325 drift car which was a proper laugh.

First thing, change the radiator or at least the plastic housing you plumb the rad hose too. As the motor moves on it's mounts it cracks these and ruins your day. (Mate ended up in hospital with pretty bad burns)

I had a welded diff in mine, brilliant although you had to be more committed as it promotes a bucket tonne of understeer haha.

The welded diff however did sheer the subframe off its welds. The whole rear assembly was held together with prop and damper top mounts haha!

The engines are absolute soldiers. I kicked the crap out of mine for years and it just took it. I remember it ticking it's face off once. It sounded as if it was about to explode.... topped the oil up and gave it death for another year or so.

You will have so much fun! Do it!

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 2

325 is defiantly the car to go for its an iron block and practically indestructible

The gearbox are the same.

the lsds are next to useless by now unless they have been rebuilt but for drifting your better off sticking either a welded 325 diff or you can use a 320 diff for a higher ratio but you will need to change drive shafts and half the prop.

The biggest problem with these cars now will be rust and worn suspension/bushes. You can replace the suspension very cheaply with ebay coilovers they are very stiff buy perfectly ok for skids. The bushes are a pain in the arse but will definitely be shot by now. Replacing rear subrame and trailing arm bushes made such a difference on my e36. As for rust expect all the usual places to be bubbling by now all arches, boot lid, bonnet but again if its a drift car this really wont matter just make sure you have a good look under the car and check for excess rust where the sub frame is attached.

Other than that dont worry about it too much parts are cheap so if anything breaks it can be easily replaced. Just go out, do some skids and have some fun!!!

E36's are better than E46's as they dont tend to destroy subframes quite so easily, and go for a 6 cylinder and the 4 pots are a little bit underpowered. E46 330's may be tempting for the powers but IIRC they suffer crank walk, not good.

Word of advice too, there is a beginning of a backlash again some of the absolute jank looking E36's in the dirft scene now, keep it looking presentable and youll be fine though :)

Working LSDs cost as much as the cars these days (seriously) but they are fine with a welder, as someone says stick cheapo ebay coilovers on and youre away. www.driftworks.com/forum is the oracle for anything E36 related, including buying drift prepped cars :)

Definitely get an M50 manifold conversion and if you can find/stretch to it a decat and an M3 throttle body. You must also run less than 4 fingers ground clearance, this is essential. Ive had a few over the years, this particualrly one I bought and sold twice as it was really rather good:

1521387_10152306563330877_526039012310371193_n_zps1374cf3f.jpg

10636243_10152306578395877_5483033652529506229_n_zps47fcd780.jpg

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

yea E36 dont have the best image on the drift scene 9/10 times driven by pikeys who picked it up from a scrap yard (bumpers and lights missing etc) and have no worrys about trying to twin and crash into you for the lols

Edited by StevoD

After doing a lot of internet shopping, were really struggling to find an e36 325i with the m50 beast engine.

so we're now thinking e46 325i but after reading various bits on the internet they don't seem as engine reliable, can you wise people inform me of anything you know about e46 s? Which are the best years to buy for instance and any faults you may know of?

Thanks for all your input already you guys are getting me excited lol

Haha and here was me thinking you were joking, I appreciate the recommendation but although maybe a reliable and driftable car I don't want to be laughed at when I turn up to the track lol people will be thinking I borrowed my grandads ride for drifting. I were thinking of suggestions with at least a little bit more street cred B)

Man i love E36's. I've had 4 or 5 over the years. Had a couple of E46's too and they're not half as good. Much less reliable... lots of electrical problems on them.

From memory the things to look out for on the E36 are:

Check it gets up to temp and stays there - the thermostats are a weak spot

Trailing arm bushes as already mentioned

Rear sub-frames can rust and shear

Thats about it really.

Here's a couple of my old ones...

316FTW.jpg

P1010018.jpg

blackcorners.jpg

Lexus will work, but is harder to sort - they are all autos, they are bargey as barges and are heavier which is never a good thing, but cred wise a V8 Jap limo will always beat the pikey's driftcar of choice.

E46 subframe mounts are even weaker than E36, theres a reason they are newer but go for the same money ;)

honestly i would just wait till you find a decent e36. The e46 is heavier, has a lot more problems with rust and the 25 and 28 lumps aint as strong as the m50. I find the best place to look for e36s is gumtree or autotrader you see the odd one put up that has been owned by an old boy for the last 20 years, has full service history and is a decent price.

I had an e46 m3 for regular track day use and my brother had an e36 m3 - both very stripped out.

You will get good at replacing ball joints and bushes on both - these cars handle well and have reliable engines / gearboxes, but they're too heavy / rusty for their own good when it comes to these kinds of consumables.

There are e36 available, but mostly 316s, 318s, we want abit more power, we were specifically after an e36 325i for around a grandish, there are some fo sale but they want 2 or more gs.

so i think we decided e46, 330 or 325, have seen a few for around a grand even a couple of touring estates that could be fun lol

our mind set is a grandish for the car, and a few hundred on cheap suspension and radiator and fluid changes, and as long as the engine survives at least 5 to 10 drift days (which I would think it could quite easily do) before setting on fire or blowing up we will have had a laugh and learnt some skills with the possibility of maybe putting abit more money into another car after as we will be a lot more confident and experienced in the drift game