diy individual throttle bodies

andybp

The correct M5 rose joints arrived today so when I got home I made up a temporary mounting bracket for the throttle controller so I can test fit it to check for clearance before making it properly

Might get it test fitted with all of the velocity stacks this weekend if the weather holds off

:)

Edited by andybp
  • Like 2

The correct M5 rose joints arrived today so when I got home I made up a temporary mounting bracket for the throttle controller so I can test fit it to check for clearance before making it properly

IMG_20170504_173829_zps9mgrzslu.jpg

Might get it test fitted with all of the velocity stacks this weekend if the weather holds off

I'm sure I can speak for all the other silent watchers of this thread who are in awe of your skills."Can't wait to see this on the car and working"

• Like 1

Ha - it just clicked with me - when I saw the initial mock up I wasn't sure how you were going to link the TB's to the servo - now I see :thumbs:

Love that solution mate very neat, keep up the good work :)

• Like 1

Ha - it just clicked with me - when I saw the initial mock up I wasn't sure how you were going to link the TB's to the servo - now I see :thumbs:

Did some measuring last night the arm on the servo is too short got to make a new one :doh: again..

• 2 weeks later...

no updates for a while you may have noticed :headhurt:

I've been trying to get the ecu to work with the map sensor with the MAF pulled out and to be honest it's been the nightmare I expected

But you may have noticed I'm pretty stubborn (sometimes mistaken for patience) I do have it working and driveable but there are problems for instance utec didn't foresee some one using the map sensor on an na engine for load so the gradient and intercept points the ecu will accept for the map sensor are out of range for the map sensor I'm using just one of many issues but I'm getting there slowly.

I really need to get the ecu running with the map sensor first before I fit the throttle bodies or I'll never get it to work if it comes to having to fit a new ECU then I'm afraid I will be abandoning this project but don't worry it hasn't come to that yet

• Like 1

Did some measuring last night the arm on the servo is too short got to make a new one :doh: again..

Did wonder about the angle and resulting ratio on that set up, but I'm sure you have it under control, i'm sure all your work will pay off soon, cant wait to hear it running. :D

• Like 2

Did wonder about the angle and resulting ratio on that set up, but I'm sure you have it under control, i'm sure all your work will pay off soon, cant wait to hear it running. :D

already made and fitted all ok now

if I can just sort out these ECU issues then I can pretty much start fitting it. just got to make the bracket for the servo but want to get it on to check clearances first

Surly you can change the load points for the MAP in the ECU maps?

it looks like the utec ecu was only ever designed to take a 3 BAR map sensor so the gradient and intercept values it allows you to put in are 0-300 I'm using a 1 bar map sensor which was designed for n/a vehicles and the gradient is much higher due to its range I have managed to frigg the values and have it reading 10 psi with the engine not running and 3 psi at idle with 3 psi being the 10% load site then when you lift off the accelerator while driving the vacuum goes out of normal range and tries to go back to the standard ecu which it doesn't like probably because the MAF sensor is out, I can get it to stay on the load map but then on idle it will be on about the 50% load site. I'm sure I can find a way around it but right now it's being a right PITA

Missus let me play today :) the sun was out so I decided to make the most of it

got the new lower profile rocker cover fitted (from an Elgrande I believe)

also trial fitted the throttle body setup minus one of the velocity stacks since the fuel return system is in the way

over all clearance is pretty good the tightest point is the new filler cap and the rear breather

But for me this was the best part, the bonnett actually shuts woo hoo :yahoo:

so now I can make up the mountings for the servo and re-do the fuel return system and I'm pretty much ready to go ;)

Edited by andybp
  • Like 6

Looks great!!! Not sure if it's been asked but, dumb question how does the pcv setup work now you've gone ITB? Standard set up ran vacuum lines pre and post TB.

no the pcv setup won't be used at all just vented to atmosphere through a catch can and a filter

^ thats a shame as i believe vacuum for the crankcase is a good thing, as it helps with reducing pressure build up in the engine.

It's not that its impossible to do with this ITB setup it's just not worth the added complication at this point in time maybe when I get it all up and running I'll think about it.

A lot of modern engines do not produce any crankcase pressure anyway, its more emissions based these days, sure there is a air movement (pulse) within the engine due to the reciprocating mass.

I have actually tested a 2JZ motor with the PCV system sealed of and accurate pressure/vacuum gauge attached, and the result was no decernable reading in either direction.

• Like 1

A lot of modern engines do not produce any crankcase pressure anyway, its more emissions based these days, sure there is a air movement (pulse) within the engine due to the reciprocating mass.

I have actually tested a 2JZ motor with the PCV system sealed of and accurate pressure/vacuum gauge attached, and the result was no decernable reading in either direction.

Always good to get some confirmation on decisions you make on a project like this from someone who's actually looked into it rather just read stuff on the internet which is notoriously unreliable