diy individual throttle bodies

andybp

So in preparation for this new project of mine I've removed all of my rear mount turbo set up the only things left are the utec ecu which I will need and the fuel return system which is easier to leave than remove and will make no difference anyway.

as far as manifolds go I'm considering three options

1) make manifolds to mount straight to the heads like the obx/jenvey ones

ITB12137_2.jpg.b5576985f1b619888e54998cf8c3b3bf.jpg

2) make a manifold to fit to where the plenum does now like these

post-2746-1234884373.jpg.8f25c0fb84441b1d8b67a3d607b7394d.jpg

3) or what I'm going to try first if you happen to have a spare plenum and a milling machine is this

IMAG0021.thumb.jpg.f2454287dc606a0cbdd96de768a0c6ba.jpg

the throttle bodies I'm going to be using are from a triumph 675 well two sets actually since it's a three cylinder engine the throttle bodies are 44mm

I'm keeping the Drive by wire either driven by a custom made throttle servo or a machined down version of the standard 350z one and will use both the throttle position sensors ie the ones already on each set of throttle bodies.

I doubt I'll get much more done before the weather improves but you never know. :)

Edited by andybp
  • Like 11

O yes now that I like :thumbs:

Do keep us updated awesome DIY project :)

If your ever bored drop by mine got to fabricate a new charge cooler setup very soon you'd be welcome along to help with that ;)

• Like 1

If your ever bored drop by mine got to fabricate a new charge cooler setup very soon you'd be welcome along to help with that ;)

charge cooler for the Radical ? :)

one day i'll get down there but for now I expect a decent writeup and some good pictures well blurry pictures in your case :lol:

:)

• Like 1

one day i'll get down there but for now I expect a decent writeup and some good pictures well blurry pictures in your case :lol:

Oi you :boxing: I got a new camera for Christmas my pics are much better now .... well more of them are less blurry :lol:

I'll keep mine coming you keep your mad projects coming :thumbs:

• Like 2

Oi you :boxing: I got a new camera for Christmas my pics are much better now .... well more of them are less blurry :lol:

I'll keep mine coming you keep your mad projects coming :thumbs:

What do you mean MAD projects I could be offended if it wasn't so close to the truth ;)

• Like 1

on plan B already the port shapes and spacings are too uneven where i originally cut off the lower plenum

so had to go a bit more extreme

Much more even

My throttle bodies should arrive next week and i can get on :)

Edited by andybp
  • Like 3

Yup that's fairly extreme, are you planning on welding inlet pipes to that now?

I just can't see the big picture yet, The bit that plenum bolts to would have given a similar result but that would be pointing up not "out"

No doubt all will be come apparent (or not) as the build proceeds :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

Yup that's fairly extreme, are you planning on welding inlet pipes to that now?

I just can't see the big picture yet, The bit that plenum bolts to would have given a similar result but that would be pointing up not "out"

No doubt all will be come apparent (or not) as the build proceeds :thumbs:

my plans are somewhat fluid at the moment until I get the other side machined which is happening right now, and my throttle bodies arrive next week and I can get the much slimmed down lower plenum on my Z to check clearances it's all a bit up in the air also I have a standard Z throttle body on the way which will also be going on a major diet. :)

My 350Z throttle body showed up today this is what i'll be using to control my individual throttle bodies once it's been on a diet this is it with the butterfly removed

91FgShE.jpg

the shaft also needs removing before machining so if you havn't seen inside a throttle body before Enjoy

four rivets holding the main cover on are drilled out and the cover just pulls off no wires to disconnect as most of the pins on the connector go to the twin throttle position sensor which is in the cover and just two wires for the motor which are on an internal connector on the cover

UlOeWwO.jpg

and this is whats inside

OLBcm2p.jpg

the gear ratio appears to be approx 9:1 if you're interested not that it matters

the end of the throttle shaft locates in the throttle position sensor in the cover shown here

behind this cover is the bearing locating the other end of the shaft

YdzppAa.jpg

cover removed showing the shaft in the bearing

2esg4HI.jpg

Shaft, return springs gears all removed I will probably remove the motor before machining

q96S8x7.jpg

this piece of paper shows roughly what i will be removing from the body

Z4V1tgI.jpg

I will then have to add another bearing to support the shaft to make up for the one i'm removing I also need to change the return spring for a lighter one

ok enough for now might get a bit more done tomorrow.

Edited by andybp

Had an early arrival won't get much done with them yet but just having them and being able to take a few measurements is helping to solidify my plans.

dC3quur.jpg

also now i've taken a few measurements I was concerned about and all is ok I can order the other three :)

Edited by andybp
  • Like 1