diy individual throttle bodies

andybp

2 hours ago, Keyser said:

I only have a old milling machine I have to do everything with manual inputs :(

Managed this though :)

IMG_1111.JPG.b55485fa2261b6c0a5892cec48836856.JPG

Not perfect but close enough.

Now your machine converted to CNC that would be good ;)

7 hours ago, Keyser said:

I only have a old milling machine I have to do everything with manual inputs :(

Managed this though :)

IMG_1111.JPG.b55485fa2261b6c0a5892cec48836856.JPG

Not perfect but close enough.

Oh I thought that was a trial one and you were going to throw it away and do it properly :lol::lol:

Only joking Mr K, I wouldn't know where to start with a manual machine and I still think you should convert yours to CNC it would be bloody awesome

:)

• Haha 1

So current state of play, have now machined the 37 Deg angle on both sides ready to machine the elliptical ports and mounting holes for the BMW V10 throttle bodies

IMG_20180121_154427.jpg.da6178f6a43592990c78df84fe49ba61.jpgIMG_20180121_154157.jpg.2a597be3a4440281e6a3115d7366139c.jpg

I really have to get this right first time there's no way I can face doing all that work again.:scare:

• Like 1

Perseverance man, it'll get there! Think of what an incredible sight and sound it will be when done.

In any case, the work you've shown in this thread is an inspiration to the rest of us to up our mod game ! The Zeditus only gets stronger after following quality work like yours. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Well it looks great and if it doesn't fit it will make a great piece to have on the mantle :thumbs:

Keep it up mate we are with you in spirit :)

I doubt it would be worth the cost of switching mine to CNC, no idea if you can buy a kit to do it even but it's old now so I doubt it would be worth the investment, I may do a bit of research just out of curiosity though :)

O and it's a custom water inlet for the uprated cooling system on the Radical - but a hip flask holder might be a better use :lol:

• Like 1

well one side is done other than I still have to smoothe the ports

IMG_20180127_160826.jpg.101c86466d909aef21c4cb4cbda7385e.jpg

Should get the other side done tomorrow then I have to make up the 8mm phenolic spacers the throttle bodies will actually mount to so lots to do yet.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Keyser said:

Awesome job :thumbs:

It's coming together now mate, keep up the good work :thumbs:

It may be coming together but there's still a lot to do I have to make the Phenolic spacers and I haven't written the code for it yet, still some machining to be done on the manifold for the mounting bolts, still got to smooth the ports that's gonna take a while then I need to make a new throttle servo which I'm going to make from scratch this time, seems never ending and what's worse it's all self inflicted :lol:

Oh well I'll just have to start putting one foot in front of the other as they say.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SuperStu said:

At least when it’s done you’ll have time to build that spaceship!

I thought we spoke about you not giving away my plans and secrets you've already blabbed about me turning base metal into gold and besides you know the time machine is next on the list ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Doom said:

But when it's done you'll have a monster :teeth: I'd sell most people to North Korean re-education camps to have a throttle body setup :lol:

I could let you have my old setup but it'd still cost you another £1500-2000 to make it work :(

1 hour ago, Keyser said:

Haven't you finished this little job yet?

No I haven't but then I only have a tiny little garage to work in and a dinky little milling machine unlike some people and I've had man flu and the dog ate my homework ;)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Doom said:

But when it's done you'll have a monster :teeth: I'd sell most people to North Korean re-education camps to have a throttle body setup :lol:

I've had some interest in what my plans were for my current setup once I get the new one running so this is a reply to your message and others who have shown interest

it would need a throttle servo since I plan on using some parts of mine or you could get me another one and have mine and an ecu similar to my link g4+ that can tune either using alpha N or speed density(which I use)   an iat temp sensor a manifold to distribute the vacuum, modifications to the ventilation system for the fuel tank and a lot of patience oh and some one to tune it but you have to bear in mind this is far from perfect not to production standards as much as it seems to work perfectly well.

if you already had a capable ecu (which is the biggest cost ) I'd say give me the cost of a servo and a drink and it's yours to buy a new ecu specifically for this project is not something I would recommend

Haven't had much progress lately as I've been writing the gcode for the phenolic spacers/gaskets but I'm happy with it now, so when my new 10mm sheet shows up I can get these cut.

The test ones I've cut are only 6mm and the 10mm will allow a smoother transition between the BMW oval and the manifold round port shape

IMG_20180205_204413.thumb.jpg.7bf767ad2faa3f6f66938d9e87f72e1f.jpg

IMG_20180205_204424.thumb.jpg.e511149b43d820a0ded960a5edf1ce5c.jpg

IMG_20180205_204445.thumb.jpg.4c2c9b3fe550f7961e346b0381bb9ff9.jpg

IMG_20180205_204308.thumb.jpg.65120ee46dfa59600e2fb35994f0b478.jpg

• Like 1

I must say I'v always thought I should have a phenolic spacer  but just never got round to it :lol:

Looks like your close to test fit the mate? At least the spacers won't take as long to cut out :thumbs:

10 hours ago, Keyser said:

I must say I'v always thought I should have a phenolic spacer  but just never got round to it :lol:

Looks like your close to test fit the mate? At least the spacers won't take as long to cut out :thumbs:

10 hours ago, Keyser said:

close to a test fit :lol: have you not seen how slowly I work but on the bright side the 10mm phenolic sheet showed up today so at least I can get on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyser said:

I know mate and with the dog eating ya homework as well :headhurt:

Keep it coming mate :thumbs:

Yea I know bloody dog  (I might have to get a dog now to make that believable I think I'll call him Gary :dry:)

I might be moving down past you this year the missus has just applied for a job in Bodmin I've been looking at jobs myself but nothing has grabbed me so far.:(

please don't strike me down with wrath, but couldn't you have designed the oval to round transition in the inlet milling? Or was that a computational step to far for your setup?

Perhaps it's as simple as it's just easier in the gasket/spacer, not necessarily the ideal solution?

I only ask as the transition could be more gradual but maybe that doesn't add much value?

Edited by Toon Chris