Is an Audi TT a Good Buy ?

Bandit

Hi All Members.

Need a bit of family help here as I'm not up to date on Audi cars,

but my son is in the market for one. Got between £5k to £7k

to spend on an Audi TT, (Bank of Dad).

Anybody on here have any experience of having one, and what to

look out for when buying one.

I know there are many variations, so any help on deciding would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS. I'm still a Zed Man, when I find a suitable one.

make sure the water pump has been changed with the timing belt, its made of plastic and fails if not changed when scheduled. On the Mk1 the haldex oil needs changed frequently but is separate from the diff oil.

My wife has a mk1 225hp and my dad has a mk2 TTS, both nice interiors, senseless steering feel but quick and semi practical.

• Like 1

IIRC on the mk1s a single exhaust is the 150bhp FWD version, personally I'd want the Quattro at least pref with 225bhp, gotta be doable in that budget I'd hope. Other than that, it's the dash clocks which go screwy and cost a fortune, check/budget for replacement.

Mk2 a thoroughly better car, are they in budget?

• Like 1

IIRC on the mk1s a single exhaust is the 150bhp FWD version, personally I'd want the Quattro at least pref with 225bhp, gotta be doable in that budget I'd hope. Other than that, it's the dash clocks which go screwy and cost a fortune, check/budget for replacement.

Mk2 a thoroughly better car, are they in budget?

Yes can just about get a 2006 or 2007 Mk2 for about that money.

You could easily get a mk1 225 for that budget - infact you could get two of them, but they are now of an age where lots of things are going wrong. As above, clocks start doing there own thing but its a £150 fix so not the end of the world. My friend had one and the window started dropping by itself over night, the petrol flap had a habit of pinging open for no reason and various other things were beginning to go so he got rid of it due to the agro it was causing. I'd be looking at mk2 now, but the budget may only stretch to a boring engine model.

• Like 1

He's after a coupe at least I hope?

I thought Audis were plagued with problems and spent most of their life being repaired?

Have you not been dropping lots of hints that a Z is within budget and better in every way (except interior quality)? Not to mention the added benefit that you don't get nobs on forums assuming your inclinations or wondering why you're driving your Mum's car :bleh:

• Like 3

A bit of gentle pursuasion is called for here.

Tell him you'll only pay for it if its a zed. If he wants a TT then tell him to save up for it himself :lol:

In fact my son was so excited and impressed when I bought mine.....he bought one too!

• Like 2

If he considers himself a car enthusiast you've got to have a word. Tell him every real car enthusiast he meets will ask him for a short back and sides. Apart from the fact they are numb, overpriced and electrically incompetent, tune them and you just open yourself up to never ending bills (I have three friends heavily into the VAG scene, all have huge horsepower VAG cars which are forever going badly wrong, one is a TT with about 420hp which eats turbos for sh-ts and giggles). At least if he's going to get a VAG numb-mobile, make it a nice scirocco, much better looking imo, despite being almost a hatch.

If he' s a competent driver, point him toward a Zed or an S2000, if not, best not bother. lol.

Edited by Aashenfox

My missus just got rid of her 09 2.0Tfsi tt it was nothing but trouble the door seals leaked I had to suck nearly 2 gallons of water out of the carpets after heavy rain overnight the dashes play up (probably due to all of the water in the car)

the ignition switches play up which you can get cheap but are a pig to get to and the standard speakers are crap wouldn't buy one again it was just one thing after another.. :)

Tell him you'll only pay for it if its a zed. If he wants a TT then tell him to save up for it himself :lol:

In fact my son was so excited and impressed when I bought mine.....he bought one too!

A TT?

A TT?

A Zed of course!!! what are you thinking ha ha! Apologies for the ambiguity
  • Like 1

Neither are known for being unreliable. You're thinking of Peugeot and Citroen.

What lol?

CR-Reliability-graph.jpg

CR+Reliability.jpg

most-reliable-cars-1.jpg

Admittedly Audi is now in the top 3, but that's only in the past few years, before that you heard nothing but bad things.

Edited by Strudul

It's because of electrics. Golfs as well. Between electric windows and coilpack failures (20vt problems), all VAG group cars (including seat and skoda) got a terrible rep between 2000 and 2010.

Mechanically, they aren't bad, and the issues that exist aren't outrageous to fix, just the volume and frequency of failures in the last decade got them this rep.