What car after a 370Z

Fred020

They're slow and the engines give in, hardly a surprise they are cheap!

Shhhh, you'll upset Dan. ;)

It's ok - he can't be right about everything! ;)

It's the same with the massive price hike between the 997.1 & .2 - sure it's a 'better' car, but I can't help but think the bulk of the price hike is caused by the improved engine reliability.

Edited by Commander

Buy a 5.0 Jag XKR / XKR-S; they are more sporty / nothing like as wafty as you imagine.

(I have just bought a 5.0 XKR - collect tomorrow. Also test drove a C63 AMG Coupe and the Jag is waaaay better.)

I'm sure the XKR is not wafty, but I don't want to spend that much. Always liked jags. Sort of miss the old saloons, the rocket powered ones were superb 'Q' cars.

I'm sure the XKR is not wafty, but I don't want to spend that much. Always liked jags. Sort of miss the old saloons, the rocket powered ones were superb 'Q' cars.

So how much are you looking to spend?

You can get a pre-facelift 4.2L X150 for less than a 370z...

XK £10k+

XKR £15k+

People in here have criticised the Cayman. Personally, I can't imagine any Cayman buyer being regretful or disappointed.

At the moment, the car most Z-like, at least in market terms, apart from another Z, seems to be the Mustang. Same price, same long-lived model line, same "angle", sort of.

Meanwhile, all we want is a Z with updated GPS maps and a passenger window with ONE SHOT FFS.

XK £10k+

XKR £15k+

I'm looking to buy almost new, maybe ex-demo. Don't really want to spend more than Z money. RX-9 would be sweeet but Mr Mazda says "no way".

One thing about the Mustang... this thing is even rarer than the Z. You see more Lambos. Is there something we should be told?

XK £10k+

XKR £15k+

I'm looking to buy almost new, maybe ex-demo. Don't really want to spend more than Z money. RX-9 would be sweeet but Mr Mazda says "no way".

One thing about the Mustang... this thing is even rarer than the Z. You see more Lambos. Is there something we should be told?

Yeah, they're sh1t, stay away. You'll hate it, it's awful, so plasticky, poor build, not powerful, can't handle, it's slow and cheap :) (or so I've heard)

Yeah, they're sh1t, stay away. You'll hate it, it's awful, so plasticky, poor build, not powerful, can't handle, it's slow and cheap :) (or so I've heard)

You missed poor in crash tests , but they are cheap (worth repeating ) :)

You missed poor in crash tests , but they are cheap (worth repeating ) :)

Yeah, really poor, only for the hard of reading though :lol:, stay away from them they'll kill you, must be something woefully wrong, you can't produce a V8 for their price, again, stay away, they're cheap and nasty :)

Let it go G Man. We know you think they're the bestest thing ever, we know there's some that think they're a pile of junk, then there's the truth that sits somewhere in between. No harm in defending a purchase or a hobby, but sometimes you just need to let it be.

FWIW, I find the Mustang to be a wonderful concept that has just a couple of flaws I couldn't get past, but that doesn't mean I'm not glad that they exist and at least one manufacturer has the balls to make a manual V8 car for sensible money. Long may it continue. :)

And yes, I'm aware of the biting irony of me posting this after my all-encompassing defending of things Porsche, so let's just leave it by saying I'm aware and shall temper my posting in the future to remember my own words.

Example Mustang 5.0 manual near me, 1000 miles on a 65 plate. Sticker price 37,000.

Cost of new is only 35,500 (?) Is that right ?

V8 starts at £36,345. That will go up with any extras and down after a bit of negotiation. So really it depends on the spec of the car and how much you can haggle them down.

Yeah that 400 extra is to skip the 7-9 month wait. It's not getting any faster either.

Aye but the car is also a year old. Low mileage, but when you (I) eventually come to sell, it'll be worth that much less. Selling a 7 year old Mustang in the year 2023 might fetch £3000 less than selling a 6 year old one.

Saw a mustang this morning. Looks good. Rarer than a dodo.