Pressed plates on a Z, what's your opinions?

Bob94

What are your opinions of pressed plates on a Z? Have you got them if so any pictures? I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but personally I like the look of pressed plates without the GB bit and thinking about getting some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll stop you right there because AFAIK they're illegal. The reason is because they're made of a non reflective material. The only exception to the rule is classic cars made before a certain year that came with metal pressed plates as standard in that specific year.

From the Government website...

2. Rules for number plates

Your number plates should:

• be made from a reflective material
  • display black characters on a white background (front plate)
  • display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
  • not have a background pattern

Characters on a number plate can be 3D.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates

I know all these sites say they are legal with correct spacing etc etc but it's BS as if you get stopped by the Police they can and will fine you for having non-conforming registration plates. E.g: Made from a non-reflective material.

Below from someone who has learnt that the hard way...

WARNING Pressed Metal Plates

A Heads up for you all and seeing as there is a group buy for the above in progress.

This afternoon I took a customers E430 back to him after we had serviced it, during this journey I was stopped by one of our finest constabulary. He appeared at the window and enquired if I knew why he had stopped me. (I didn't have a clue) come and sit in my car and I'll tell you why, my heart sank what hideous crime had I committed?

You have illegal number plates sir? No I don't I said. Sorry but I beg to differ came the reply.

The car was fitted with pressed metal number plates, in the correct colour and correct font. He pointed the ANPR camera at the plate on the MB and it pinged back immediately "Unreadable" Pressed metal plates are illegal on the year of that vehicle sir (2002) Since when I said can you show me the relevent legislation, to which he took out his offence guide book and showed me clearly that Pressed Metal Plates on a 2002 car are definitely illegal, it was there in black and white along with all the other illegal number plate offences, italics etc and had the relevant legislation reference next to it under the column heading illegal.

At this point I did not have a leg to stand on so held up my hands. He very kindly issued me a £60 fixed penalty and I was on my way a little dischuffed.

On my return I thought I would check the facts on this just in case an appeal was in order. It was confirmed by a very experienced motoring lawyer that this indeed was an offence. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material, steel is not classed as a retroreflecting material even if painted, plates MUST be made of acrylic. I then further queried this with VOSA who again confirmed that a car with Pressed Metal Steel Plates even if BS kitemarked WOULD fail an MOT.

So it cost me £60 to learn that lesson so thought I would share it.

Under UK Law Pressed metal plates are illegal because they are not made of retroreflective material and also because the letters are not flat to the plate they cannot be read by ANPR and you will be stopped.

Cheers

Ian

Source: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/113434-warning-pressed-metal-plates.html

Not worth the hassle. :thumbs:

• Like 1

You can get them made in reflective nowadays, its more a VAG thing though, so a no imho :)

I'm considering some (not pressed, the domed style ) as mine are a bit shabby, though I know what your saying. Might just give it a go anyway.

Edited by SHEZZA

I was one of the first people in the U.K to have the yellow rear and white front reflective plates. Mate of mine worked in the motor trade and I ordered a set to fit on my Lambretta, got them on the day after they were legal, sometime in 1968, cost me £4, a lot of money when I was only earning £16 a week :surrender: . Looked really cool on my "E" reg scooter though. These days I'd be taking them off and fitting the black and white ones back on again :)

Pete

• Like 1

I'll stop you right there because AFAIK they're illegal.

I agree with your not worth the hassle point but not about them being illegal. They can be made legal:

http://trafficlawadv...mberplates.html

http://www.number1pl...-number-plates/

I still wouldnt fit them regardless mind!

Yes you're right I didn't realise that you can get them with reflective backgrounds nowadays as Jetpilot corrected me just after my post.

I agree with you as I wouldn't fit them on a Zed, ...tbh they're more of a German scene fad like on the BM's, VW's etc although I won't be getting them on my Audi. Just not worth the hassle. ;)

I have found some legal reflective ones I might just try. If I don't like them when they're on I've not payed out much. If I do get stopped I'll hold my hands up

I have found some legal reflective ones I might just try. If I don't like them when they're on I've not payed out much. If I do get stopped I'll hold my hands up

This is the company I used when I got some, very nicely made :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METAL-HYDRAULICALLY-PRESSED-EMBOSSED-CAR-NUMBER-PLATES-REG-PLATE-NO-GB-LOGO-/321763447970?hash=item4aea9894a2:g:2O4AAOSwRLZUIFPP

TL;DR This is an anecdote about plates and the way the law sees them in Greece, mildly interesting, but not relevant to anyone in UK...

So yeh, over here I'm ahead of the game, we are required to have pressed plates. Not just any pressed plates though, oh no, the very same pressed plates, FOREVER (dramatic music)!

Black on white front and rear, in portrait or landscape design. The white is kinda reflective, but not even 10% of a UK acrylic plate. It's best to think about Greek plates as belonging to the state and rented to you (I expect that's the case, but may not be, I don't know). There are no personal registrations in Greece either.

When you take a car off the road, in order to avoid paying continued taxes on it (something that happens a lot here, the taxes are so crazy and people so short they can't afford to pay them every year), you have to hand in the plates, the exact ones, naturally. If you get certain types of parking violation the police will remove the plates and hold them back at the station pending payment of the relevant penalty and a mandatory waiting period (often a month or more!), which can often be sidestepped by bribing the local police or having a contact capable of such (everything is who you know over here) so you can get the plates back in a few days.

Obviously it's best to use as medium and average sized a philips head screw as you can to facilitate this, as if the police want to but can't remove the plates, because the screwdriver they have in the patrol car doesn't fit the screws you used, they will call for a tow truck, something you really don't want. Interestingly, though, some people play the game on this one; because it's not law to use a philips head screw to secure your number plates (that would be crazy and besides, there are different sizes, it would be unenforceable), some people deliberately use a keyed torx or something else the popo won't have, taking the chance that they can return to the car before the tow truck arrives (would take an hour probably in most cases), and simply take the (usually low) penalty and drive away from the frustrated police who can't do anything cos it's not illegal to use any reasonable fastener you want and they can't hold you for a parking ticket. If the tow truck beats them to it, though, they are really screwed. 300 euros for the tow truck (the scratches will be free of charge), PLUS whatever else.

So, long story short, in Greece, look after your plates! I'm envious of you guys having this as a mod option. If I was in the UK I'd have a personalised plate. I don't know why they don't do it here, it would be a great revenue stream they badly need. /shrug

Edited by Aashenfox