Pondering about Coilovers (KW v3 etc)

RobPhoboS

Who knows what a fast road is? A road, B road, Motorway, whites????

Fast road is not 100% track focused and too aggressive to use on the street, but also not focused at comfort, economy or tyre life either.

Simply put, a setup thats optimised to be as fast as possible on roads, from bumpy B Roads to sweeping Autobahns. The fact google returns 589,000 hits for "Fast Road Setup" suggests Im not alone on understanding this.

As for the rest of it, you can see it any way you like but there is more than an element of trolling to some of your posts on this thread dude.

Edited by docwra

Like that Ring Banana MX5. Goes around sets a time. Sticks on MeisterRs, it's 25 seconds faster. ALong with tyres, geometry, and course familirasation plus who know what traffic was in the way.

The Ring Banana set the base lap time of 9:21 around the Nurburg Ring.

That was driven as the car was purchased, unknown suspensions and unknown alignment with 10 years old tyres.

They then installed the MeisterR coilovers and re-do the alignment (something you have to do when installing new suspension anyways).

The MX5 then pull a 8.54 lap on the same 10 years old tyres, a 27 seconds improvement with only suspension and alignment difference.

The Driver was Gabriele Piana, a driving instructor at RSR Nurburgring, and a GT4 Race Driver.

He doesn’t need to learn the Nurburg, he pretty much knows all about it.

Traffic differ, and that is an uncontrolled factor. That is why this isn’t a scientific test.

So viewer can decide how much difference traffics made out of that 27 seconds, I never tried to hide the fact.

This car have been doing countless lap at Nurburg over the past 12 months.

And just did another feat not long ago by Completing a full 24 hours endurance race at Circuito Ascari in Spain!

24hr1.jpg

24hr2.jpg

This is on the same set of suspension, it have not been rebuild, I haven’t seen the suspension since it left our workshop back in 2015.

Again, take it as what you will because this isn’t a scientific test.

These are just pure result from a fun project that MeisterR got involved in, and are proud to be a part of.

Jerrick

• Like 1

I'll make another thread specifically to the GT1's but link to this one too as it has great info.

A busy weekend ahead, these and cleaning injectors :)

And just to note, Jerrick has been utterly sublime with emails back and forth between us, don't get me wrong there are plenty of great traders on here too, just that this was different :thumbs:

• Like 1

Fast Road is compromised by its very nature, but there's nothing wrong with that. OEM 350z suspension is compromised as it's too soft if you want to track your car, OEM RR Phantom suspension is compromised if you enjoy proper steering feedback, pretty much every suspension setup is compromised to some point. So what?

The only exception is the Evora, which is just witchcraft.

I'm assuming your GT1 is?

Correct.

Technically on the car already but need to finish off height and other bits tomorrow.

???

Critically damped to both compression and rebound for the 350Z? Fair play, I have no idea of the un/sprung masses, but if you do, nice one :)

Moving to your car, what dampers were on it before, OEM?

It's on the first post but they are Bilstein B6's with Tein S springs (new), which are just under a year old, so pretty fresh.

I'll chuck relevant info on a separate post.

You tell me the unsprung weight of the Nissan and how you factored it into the compression/rebound ratios. That was my whole point - it's adjustable so the critical mass or adjustability ratio (between compression/rebound on single adjuster) is not 'essential' as you can tailor more for individual preference.

That is undeniable.

So in conclusion: That damping ratio works for ANY car.

For your concern of weight, that is calculated and incorporated into the springs rate choice.

Since you completely blank out the answer I have given previously, I am not sure what to say anymore.

A quick search online show:

Full weight of the car is 3,216 lbs

Sprung weight of 2,951 lbs

Unsprung weight of 265lbs.

If you can tell me how to factor unsprung weight into the compression/rebound ratios, that would be great.

As I am very interested in your scientific calculation.

Jerrick

Rocket_Rabbit, I have to be honest here - you're just coming across as a complete dickhead in this thread. Your tone is rude and you're not actually making any useful counterarguments, just mocking what people (mostly Jerrick) are saying. Either you're trolling or you're just not as clever as you think you are.

• Like 1

Fast road is not 100% track focused and too aggressive to use on the street, but also not focused at comfort, economy or tyre life either.

??? So it's not track but it's too aggressive to be used on the street? Sounds like a bad setup to me if you can't use it anywhere?!

Simply put, a setup thats optimised to be as fast as possible on roads, from bumpy B Roads to sweeping Autobahns.

Optimised? You mean compromised. A b-road and an Autobahn are VERY different and you cannot possibly expect to be optimised to both unless you have adaptive dampers

I think these quotes show that your just trolling.

Read the first once again. A track setup is too aggressive to use on the street, or have you never driven an actual race car? I think thats pretty clearly what I said, apologies if your comprehension skills arent up to it.

Optimised for more than one situation will always include an element of compromise, thats pretty obvious and anything this side of a drag car is compromised towards something other than performance, again, Id have thought that was obvious. Any street setup will be compromised but it doesnt have to be to the point of being like a Prius.

I also see that a "road" setup is allowed in the world of Rocket Rabbit, I guess thats aiming at comfort is it? So why not Fast Road that's more aimed on pace? I think we all understand "Off Road", where does that fit?

Everyone understands the concept of God whether he exists or not, Fast Road is a concept that everyone other than you seems to understand.