Predicting a crash...

gangzoom

How many false positives does it report? Handy device if it isnt putting brakes on when an accident doesn't occur. Do fear that there is too much 'assist' to drivers nowadays, that driving as a skill is being lost and accidents will happen because drivers become lazy and think they do not have to concentrate.

People are too lazy to concentrate already, yoy just have to look at the numbers of people glued to their phones whilst driving.

You surely cannot really believe the roads would be safer if cars didn't have ABS, EPS, powet steering, etc??? Most people drive to get from A to B not to have fun.

I've never had the preemptive braking come on in our Lexus or even the TC system on public roads, but am not stupid enough to assume I have the skills needed to avoid every possible accident. Every single one of us have been distracted whilst driving, if you haven't been than your lying to your self. Most of the time you get away with it but if all the dots are lined up all it takes is one glance away from the road ahead and you could end up changing your life forever or even worse someone elses.

Maybe its because I've seen too many people in ITU due to RTAs, and since becoming a dad the thought of anything like a RTA involving my daughter really is unthinkable. Personally I don't understand why legislation isn't already in place to mandate this kind of preemptive safety equipment, the ability to avoid or reduce the impact of a crash will save just as many lives as seat belts and air bags.

That kind of summarises all my points though.

People just want to get from A to B, if cars get to the point they are automated why have a car? Why spend a huge amount of money on an automated car that depreciates when you could invest the money and just Uber or public transport your way around? Clearly anyone wanting automated driving really doesn't want to drive so why own a car when there are other ways of getting around.

I never said it makes no sense not having this device, however it only solves one issue, it doesnt solve 90% of other accidents, I guess other devices will come out which do start to solve other types of accidents.

So if its all about safety, why are cars allowed to go over 70mph? Why are they allowed to accelerate to 60 in under 5 seconds which is clearly dangerous? Surely all this should be restricted by law to save lives?

• Like 1

Accelerating to 60 in under 5, 4 or 3 seconds isnt in the least bit dangerous, pointless, but not dangerous, nor is driving at over 70mph or above, it all depends on circumstance.

If cars are becoming automated, then the road network also needs to be to make it viable and at the point its all automated, i agree, you might as well be on a train.

Abs, esp etc etc are all driver aids that assist, not replace the driver.

This is great to see.

Keep up the good work Tesla and the future looks good as the rest follow the lead!

This technology is my M25 dream as it's a necessary rule to allow at least an extra hour to make any journey on that road as this situation is regular to come across so I have to include crash hold up time.

Not only just the unlucky minimum 2 cars directly involved will be saved this is a huge benefit as the countless number of indirectly affected cars that then get held up in both directions as a result and the huge cost in lost time and resources.

Edited by chips

How many times do we see accidents when cars accelerate too hard on poor tyres, bad conditions etc. and simply over do it lose grip, lose control. Also people crossing the road but the car is up the road and puts its foot down much quicker than a normal car, cars pulling out of side turnings, people having accidents doing the grand prix off the lights trying to beat someone else. All acceleration issues. Just make all cars accelerate the same slower conservative speed, have the same top speed to abide by the rules using GPS location tracking restricting the engines, and just keep going - I mean why would you not want this? It will save lives after all...

Impressive tech, and something I never want to see on the roads. Ever.

It's just one step closer to autonomous cars, and I can think of nothing worse. Once it starts and takes hold, you'll never be allowed to enjoy your normal car again. No car person in their right mind would be behind something like this, not when you take it to it's ultimate conclusion.

Impressive tech, and something I never want to see on the roads. Ever.

It's just one step closer to autonomous cars, and I can think of nothing worse. Once it starts and takes hold, you'll never be allowed to enjoy your normal car again. No car person in their right mind would be behind something like this, not when you take it to it's ultimate conclusion.

Sadly I think your right but Pandoras box is already opened. Whilst this is not autonomy the technology is now getting close. Whilst I still think no autonomous vehicle will ever be able to deal with a mini roundabout, I also never thought they could get radar waves to bounce underneath a moving car in a reliable manner.

Apparently this is what Tesla have already managed to achieve with their latest sensor suite and software.

Every major car manufacturer is now chasing after the same goal, Nissan's boss is about to be headline act at CES in a few days no doubt with similar tech up his sleeve.

Enjoy driving whilst you can, the tech is developing so quick I'm not at all convinced my daughter will even need to bother with a driving licence to operate a car when she is ready.

Edited by gangzoom

I don't think I want to ever have kids now.

Just one of many reasons I don't want to have kids - I think we're heading towards an ever more automated world where humans are forced to simply go through the motions.

And what happens when technology goes wrong or the system fails, the driver relying on it to possibly save his life, shocking idea if you ask me....

While I'm not in favour of any automation, I'm not sure that argument will stand up to scrutiny in the long term. The systems will become more fail-safe and will ultimately be shown to have a better safety record than an unassisted driver, which will be the turning point.

How many times do we see accidents when cars accelerate too hard on poor tyres, bad conditions etc. and simply over do it lose grip, lose control. Also people crossing the road but the car is up the road and puts its foot down much quicker than a normal car, cars pulling out of side turnings, people having accidents doing the grand prix off the lights trying to beat someone else. All acceleration issues. Just make all cars accelerate the same slower conservative speed, have the same top speed to abide by the rules using GPS location tracking restricting the engines, and just keep going - I mean why would you not want this? It will save lives after all...

Coming back from Spalding yesterday, I joined the A1 Northbound where it changes from the M1 - just before Junction 44, I believe.

About 5.20pm, so a reasonable amount of traffic. And that area is notorious for slowing everyone down as people swap lanes and join the network.

Cue the guy behind me in his BMW Whatever, who joins the road at speed with no indication whatsoever and proceeds to fish-tail his car almost completely sideways in his haste to get into the outside lane!

As I said, the traffic was reasonably plentiful at the time so he caused a lot of other drivers to slam their brakes on, whilst he's drifting his way across the motorway!

Absolutely can't stand idiots who drive like that!

I really cannot see how technolgy in cars will ever cover every eventuality on the roads. Even if it works perfectly 100% of the time.

And if the redundant driver is in the seat will they be awake enough to deal with the unexpected?

But then I'm buggered if I will let the '45 do the self parking bit - it may miss the objects (cars/posts etc) the sensors pick up but not those low kerbs just waiting for the wheel rims.......