Predicting a crash...

gangzoom

I know some of you guys love news on autonomous driving etc :)

Lots of cars have adaptive cruise control with auto/emergency braking these days (my wife's Lexus included). The problem is all these systems can only look so far ahead, and always reacts to what the car directly in front it doing, which isn't always the right thing to do or even quick enough to prevent an accident. Tesla have been playing around with the idea of 'bouncing' radar waves under the car in front to see if they can 'see' ahead. I've been pretty unsure about their claims on this as it all sounds far too much like Sci-Fi, but than came across this video today.

If you watch/listen the car warms the driver on an impending crash, started decelerating by it self, about 1-2 second later the car in front triggers the accident. If you look at the other cars near by you can see despite been in the outside lane the Tesla stopped way before the accident point despite initially traveling at a higher speed, the grey hatchback that was initially overtaken nearly plowed into the car taking evasive action.

To be clear this isn't autopilot, but instead the emergency braking system in action.

https://youtu.be/eWDYa9kpqrc

I'm glad our Tesla will have this tech on board as standard, but also annoyed other brands haven't come up with the idea earlier, all Tesla have done is write new software the forward looking radar hardware is standard off-the shelf item, anyone could have done this. Maybe if all cars were fitted with this kind of tech than accidents like one today in Oxfordshire could have been prevented. I know some on here don't like the idea of electronic nanny devices but this kind of tech really is going to change road safety much in the same way as seatbelts and air bags.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

How many false positives does it report? Handy device if it isnt putting brakes on when an accident doesn't occur. Do fear that there is too much 'assist' to drivers nowadays, that driving as a skill is being lost and accidents will happen because drivers become lazy and think they do not have to concentrate.

• Like 3

Driving as a "skill" has been lost to most...

As soon as ABS and TC became commonplace the quality of drivers went down.

Its hard to argue with safety tech though,the negative side is that drivers that arent even of average ability think they can spank 300-400-500bhp cars about and think they are perfectly in control,when in reality without all the driver aids they would be upside down within 100 yds of leaving the house..

To be quite honest with the car taking so much control I do not understand why people want to spend £70k+ on a car? Just stick the money in an account and use the interest you earn to Uber yourself a taxi. You don't have to drive (as clearly some of these cars with dozens of assists barely let you do anything so its not really about enjoying getting behind the wheel anymore) and you can have a glass of sherry, have a nap, read your phone etc. and no problem. It would be cheaper to taxi everywhere than the cost of a new car, the insurance, running/servicing costs, depreciation etc.

Just leave a sufficient gap to the car in front :p

Yes, I started leaving a decent gap many years ago. Saved me once from a major pileup that happened right in front of me (and behind me too). I managed to stop easily without standing on my brakes, the guy behind me stopped too, but he got hit by a tailgater. I don't know how the accident in front of me happened but there were 6 cars involved and it was on a humpback bridge.

I wish someone could come up with a solution, like a buzzer when you're driving too close. I'm not sure that automatic deceleration won't actually cause more shunts?

Pete

Just leave a sufficient gap to the car in front :p

Yes, I started leaving a decent gap many years ago. Saved me once from a major pileup that happened right in front of me (and behind me too). I managed to stop easily without standing on my brakes, the guy behind me stopped too, but he got hit by a tailgater. I don't know how the accident in front of me happened but there were 6 cars involved and it was on a humpback bridge.

I wish someone could come up with a solution, like a buzzer when you're driving too close. I'm not sure that automatic deceleration won't actually cause more shunts?

Pete

Well in the absence of people paying attention properly when driving (which i think we have to accept isn't possible for a lot of people), I guess a simple sensor could do the trick. It still couldn't account for everything that a good driver can though, i.e. road conditions, visibility etc.

At least it prevents straight line crashes, probably. Clearly driver error will cause t-boning and the like when pulling out of junctions etc. If drivers become lazy and think they are safer, then these sort of accidents are more likely to occur.

^^ I could have predicted that one.

"Stop" sign clearly visible and the R35 driver going clearly too fast to be able to stop in time, if he was trying to stop at all. :thumbdown:

I think nowadays there are a lot of drivers who would benefit from "Emergency Braking" and "Autopilot" systems in order to make the roads safer for the rest of us to use.

I wouldn't want it on my car though. ;)

How many false positives does it report? Handy device if it isnt putting brakes on when an accident doesn't occur. Do fear that there is too much 'assist' to drivers nowadays, that driving as a skill is being lost and accidents will happen because drivers become lazy and think they do not have to concentrate.

Whilst I agree, the amount of D1cks I've seen on the roads over Xmas I feel a little safer if tech somewhat helps protect me and my love ones from their lack of ability.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree, the amount of D1cks I've seen on the roads over Xmas I feel a little safer if tech somewhat helps protect me and my love ones from their lack of ability.

Exactly what I think Flex.

Albeit I don't want it on my vehicle I definitely believe there are drivers that would benefit from this technology which may help keep the rest of us safer from their mistakes. ;)

• Like 1

Doesn't protect you if they go into the back of you, and if you go into the back of someone else you were either too close or not paying attention. Accepted there are instances where its neither, but a lot of accidents are because of lack of concentration.

But as I posted above, happy to have safety devices, but it shouldnt mean people then think they can be more lax in their attention to the road or how they drive.

Doesn't protect you if they go into the back of you

Depends if it releases the brakes if it detects the car behind isn't gonna stop in time, so as long as there is space in front of you, you can stop more gradually, giving the car behind more time to stop too.

Depends if the car behind has noticed at all I guess!

I get the safety aspect of this, but also see many posts on here now about how intelligent solutions are taking over the control of the car. My view really is that of course it will work for the reason it has been created but some people become lazier and less focused on the road due to a false sense of security thus allowing other mistakes to happen that otherwise wouldn't have - you only have to look at the amount of incidents where people blindly trust sat navs and drive off cliffs or into canals and the like. Its all too easily done.

There are a majority out there that just drive to get to places, there are some like most of us on here who drive for the sheer pleasure. In terms of automation (as inferred on the title) if it becomes self driving then I would not bother owning a car and use Uber/hire when necessary. I cannot see the point of paying potentially huge sums and upwards for a car that does everything for you if you just want to get point to point.

It's a gonna be like Demolotion Man.

Self drive feature unavailable....traffic too dangerous. Please sit still and surrender all control to computerised driving agent. Your clock card has been adjusted and your employer has been made aware that you will be 13 minutes and 48 seconds late. On this occasion your supervisor, after being presented with 9 alternate routes and starting locatio has held you responsible for the lateness. Route 3 has been selected for tomorrow's commute. I leave for your employer at 6:54am. Please make sure you are on time as for punishment, all the privileges on your ID card have been temporarily revoked. Once you leave the house tomorrow this card can only be used at the office and canteen. An attempt to anywhere else will result in dismissal and termination of contract.

Your wife has also been made aware and also recieved appropriate punishment as an example. She will not be given access to a Lee Barnes' household where she has spent 18hrs 44 seconds over a 3 week period. A Doctors appointment was made due to her heart rate increasing each time but has never attended. This could be due to her being pregnant.

Please, have a nice day"

• Like 1

People are too lazy to concentrate already, yoy just have to look at the numbers of people glued to their phones whilst driving.

You surely cannot really believe the roads would be safer if cars didn't have ABS, EPS, powet steering, etc??? Most people drive to get from A to B not to have fun.

I've never had the preemptive braking come on in our Lexus or even the TC system on public roads, but am not stupid enough to assume I have the skills needed to avoid every possible accident. Every single one of us have been distracted whilst driving, if you haven't been than your lying to your self. Most of the time you get away with it but if all the dots are lined up all it takes is one glance away from the road ahead and you could end up changing your life forever or even worse someone elses.

Maybe its because I've seen too many people in ITU due to RTAs, and since becoming a dad the thought of anything like a RTA involving my daughter really is unthinkable. Personally I don't understand why legislation isn't already in place to mandate this kind of preemptive safety equipment, the ability to avoid or reduce the impact of a crash will save just as many lives as seat belts and air bags.

People are too lazy to concentrate already, yoy just have to look at the numbers of people glued to their phones whilst driving.

You surely cannot really believe the roads would be safer if cars didn't have ABS, EPS, powet steering, etc??? Most people drive to get from A to B not to have fun.

I've never had the preemptive braking come on in our Lexus or even the TC system on public roads, but am not stupid enough to assume I have the skills needed to avoid every possible accident. Every single one of us have been distracted whilst driving, if you haven't been than your lying to your self. Most of the time you get away with it but if all the dots are lined up all it takes is one glance away from the road ahead and you could end up changing your life forever or even worse someone elses.

Maybe its because I've seen too many people in ITU due to RTAs, and since becoming a dad the thought of anything like a RTA involving my daughter really is unthinkable. Personally I don't understand why legislation isn't already in place to mandate this kind of preemptive safety equipment, the ability to avoid or reduce the impact of a crash will save just as many lives as seat belts and air bags.

Nah, I'd rather have a short life where I get some excitement and challenges rather than a long, sanitised life :)